Delays as drivers return to roads

Airports; Amtrak cancellations; Capital Weather Gang; D.C. snow emergency; Metrorail and Metrobus; Plowing plans; Snow removal; Watch traffic conditions live

9:30 A.M. UPDATE: On I-495/Outer Loop at Georgia Avenue, a disabled vehicle is blocking the right merge lane... MD 193 East remains closed... On I-395 North, the right lane and right shoulder are closed just before Duke Street due to an accident... and major congestion on I-66 East stemming back from the Teddy Roosevelt Bridge and the Beltway.

8:40 A.M. UPDATE: A water main break has closed all lanes of MD 193 East from Veirs Mill Road to Grandview Avenue.... An accident has closed the left shoulder and left lane of I-395 North just before Duke Street... A disabled vehicle has blocked the right lane of the ramp from I-66 East to I-495 North... An accident has closed the right lane of I-66 East at the Beltway.

8:15 A.M. UPDATE: A report from the Post's Michael Bolden from US 50 Westbound (heading into the District from Maryland): The road narrows to two lanes after the Baltimore Washington Parkway split, and the right lane is filled with snow. On New York Avenue/Route 50 inside the District, several people are walking in the street, including a person in a wheelchair.

The District Department of Transportation reports a minor accident at New York Avenue at South Dakota Avenue in Northeast (immediately after the aforementioned split and right after Route 50 crosses from Maryland and into the District). So if you're heading west on Route 50, you're facing some delays.

In Virginia, I-66 East is backed up for six miles from the Teddy Roosevelt Bridge and for about four miles from the Beltway. I-495 North has about four miles of congestion, beginning at Arlington Boulevard. So it's almost like any other morning commute, albeit full of ice and snow and people who haven't worked in a week.

ORIGINAL POST:
Drivers hitting the roads and returning to work today are still facing black ice and view-obstructing piles of snow. When you're commuting out there, be careful and drive slowly.

There are still going to be accidents, breakdowns and general congestion as people get back out there. Here's a sampling of things going on in Virginia this morning (by no means complete, but just to give you an idea):

-- There's a disabled vehicle on I-95 South at Van Dorn Street
-- An accident on Route 50 has blocked the left side of the ramp from Route 50 West to I-495 South.
-- A disabled vehicle has closed the north left lane of I-395 North at Washington Boulevard
-- A disabled vehicle has blocked the right lane of the I-66 East ramp to I-495 North.

By Mark Berman  |  February 12, 2010; 7:34 AM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Commuting , Congestion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Black ice this morning's worry
Next: Metro commute a "nightmare"

Comments

Why are there no shuttles running between the closed Metro stations? The Ride On buses on MoCo are packed to the brim. I thought it was standard operating procedure: when a station is closed, you run shuttles around it.

Posted by: Terpintino | February 12, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Just traveled from Pentagon City to Federal Center SW on the Blue Line. Major confusion at Pentagon City with nobody knowing which track the train will arrive at. Conflicting messages re: status of the Blue Line all the way to Franconia-Springfield. Other than that, the ride was OK, not too crowded, a bit slower than usual.

Posted by: kraljica | February 12, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Dr Gridlock: Please comment on the District parking rules: cars must be no more than 12 inches from the curb. I already see numerous examples where people are parking in the travel lanes - as though they have an inherent right to park. Why people think the priority use of streets is parking is beyond me.

Posted by: hudsondc | February 12, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

From Germantown to Burtonsville I took 270S to 495 to 29N. A very pleasant commute. Didn't take any longer than a normal non-rush hour drive, about 50 minutes.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | February 12, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Why are people parking in the street? They should be parking at OPM director Berry's house.

Posted by: fireball72 | February 12, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Took us 45 minutes to get from the intersection of Lee Hwy and Spout Run Pkwy to the DC end of the Key Bridge. Yow. After that it was an easy cruise through the District to Maryland, though...

Posted by: EtoilePB | February 12, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

66 was backed up for 10 miles because DC decided not to plow more than one lane between the Roosevelt Bridge and 23rd Street. East of 23rd there were three fully clear lanes. Today's delays were nothing more than DC screwing Virginia commuters.

Posted by: MrPlow3 | February 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

It took me two and a half HOURS to get into work in Ballston from Manassas this morning. Allegedly the major part of the back up outside fo the beltway was due to a mammoth pot hole on the ramp to 495. Why wasn't this pothole patched overnight before it could cause chaos for the morning commute? I don't understand why they wait until the sun is up to fix potholes, thus causing issues with daytime traffic (they were doing pothole repairs on 66 W during rush hour yesterday afternoon) instead of spending the evening doing the repairs while traffic is at it's lightest.

Metro apparently isn't any better. I have co-workers who rode in from DC...it took an hour for one coming in from Mass Ave, and two hours for another coming in from Cleveland Park. And NOW we have the derailment at Farragut North.

What is it about snow that causes the area to have such travel chaos, especially days after the snow has stopped falling???

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 12, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Our two groups of citizen activists drove down to Richmond, Virginia yesterday from Washington, DC to successfully lobby for passage of a E-Verify bill out of committee in the Virginia House of Delegates. Both groups had trouble getting their cars out of Washington DC with challenges like inadequately plowed roads and problems with Metrorail (apparently caused by single tracking.) Once we were approximately 20 miles out of Washington, DC, Highway I-95 had bare pavement. There were 3 traffic tie-ups related to snow removal or emergency road repair on the way to Richmond. There seemed to be many more long-haul trucks on the highway during the day, probably because they had been stopped by the bad weather in this area. The return trip, which started at about 10 PM from Richmond was uneventful. We could see one tie-up on the southbound I-95 lanes from a major traffic accident. We could navigagte the side streets in the area around the Kennedy Center after midnight.

Posted by: Dr_Gene_Nelson | February 12, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Can you provide an update for the afternoon commute on Metro's orange line service? Will there be more frequent trains? Will the trains use both tracks? Are the outside stations on the western side returned to service? Thanks.

Posted by: snowmageddon | February 12, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse