Snow still causing trouble for transit

It's progress of a sort: The D.C. area's transit problems on Tuesday have little to do with the condition of the trains and buses. They have a lot more to do with the condition of the snow-covered streets and parking areas.

We've gotten many complaints and warnings about crowding in the Metro garages. To continue that conversation, please e-mail Post staff writer Nicole Norfleet at norfleetn@washpost.com, or call her at 202-334-9617. She'd like to hear about your experiences finding a Metro garage space Tuesday.

Metro spokesman Steven Taubenkibel says parking availability is improving, but slowly. Only Bobcats and pickup trucks can get through the garage and operate on the top level, he said. Once in, they can't dump the snow over the sides of the garages. He said that would be a risky thing to do, in part because the snow already is so high around the first levels.

The snow has to be hauled out in pickup trucks and carts.

Meanwhile, the condition of the roads continues to pose problems for Metro buses, even though all routes are operating. Check the Rail & Bus Service Status page on Metro's Web site for guidance on why buses aren't showing up at certain stops. At 1 p.m., I see 18 routes listed as having problems, but that will change frequently depending on conditions. The page may not be up to date at the moment you're looking.

Also, I continue to hear from travelers who have trouble getting accurate readings from Metro's Next Bus real-time information system. While I still recommend trying this by phone or computer to get the likely arrival time for the next bus at your stop, I wouldn't stake too much on it being right. The most frequent complaint I've received over the past few days is that the service indicates a bus is on the way, but it never appears at the stop.

By Robert Thomson  |  February 16, 2010; 1:23 PM ET
Categories:  Metro , Weather  | Tags: Dr. Gridlock, snowstorm, tips for travelers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Drivers find Metro garages crowded
Next: Amtrak's Train No. 93 canceled

Comments

First!

Impeach Obama.

Posted by: LoJankFilDee19338333 | February 16, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Grow up.

Posted by: jckdoors | February 16, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Wha?

Wrong blog dude/dudete.

Well, it's a start re:the garages

Posted by: EricS2 | February 16, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

jckdoors - you should grow up and vote Republican.

Posted by: LoJankFilDee19338333 | February 16, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I had a J2 bus disappear this morning - this happens about once a week. When East-West Highway is reduced to one lane between Bethesda and Silver Spring (as it has been for the past week or so) there seem to be more problems with NextBus estimating when a bus is going to arrive.

Montgomery County plows have not been perfect but the state's performance on the numbered roads (Georgia Avenue, East West Highway, Connecticut Avenue) has been lousy with lost lanes.

Posted by: KS100H | February 16, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

LoJank - STFU, again. Take your politics to the politics section.

The J2 has been a disaster the past ten days. WMATA left me outdoors for 2 hours with no Eastbound buses.

E/W Highway is a disaster with backups at Connecticut and Bethesda caused by poor plowing. MoCo - Fail.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | February 16, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I have to tell you, the service in Glover Park has been abysmal. Lines upon lines of people were waiting in a long time for the D2 bus this morning...which never came. Nextbus indicated the next bus was supposed to have gone by four times by the time I got fed up. I walked by five or six D2 stops on the way to Wisconsin Ave to catch another bus, and only one of them had a sign indicating it had been rerouted. WMATA didn't have a notice on their website until after 11am, a good three hours after this debacle. I know I choose to live in an area with limited metro service, but at least tell me when you're not going to show up.

Posted by: redshoejess | February 16, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

So if I read this right, they won't plow garage tops at all because they couldn't find a place to put all of the snow?

So why not plow half the spots and put the snow in the other half? That's what private garages are doing.

Posted by: member5 | February 16, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Re:anarcho-liberal-tarian
I don't blame MoCo government for the problems on East West Highway. The great state of Maryland has responsibility for the "numbered roads" like E-W Highway (410), Wisconsin (355), Connecticut (185), Colesville Road (29), Georgia (97) and New Hampshire Avenue (650).

Posted by: KS100H | February 16, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

LoJankFilDee: What on earth does Obama have to do with this? If you have this much time on your hands, go help someone elderly or in ill-health shovel out like me and the rest of my liberal friends have been and are doing.

Posted by: seaduck2001 | February 16, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse