Metro expands to above ground

Airports | Amtrak | Buses | Capital Weather Gang | D.C. snow emergency | Plowing plans | Rails | Snow removal | Live traffic

Red Line train service is operating between Medical Center and Glenmont, according to an alert from the transit agency.

Metro officials said they opened the Red Line from Union Station to Silver Spring about 4;30 p.m. Thursday. The agency said service from Medical Center to Glenment is operating with trains serving stations every 20 to 25 minutes.

The above-ground Red Line stations in service include New York Avenue-Florida Avenue-Gallaudet U, Rhode Island Avenue-Brentwood, Brookland-CUA, Fort Totten, Takoma and Silver Spring.

According to a statement from Metro, "The remaining above-ground stations and track remain closed due to heavy snow on the tracks."

Metro said it expects to restore above-ground service in stages.

By Michael Bolden  |  February 11, 2010; 4:21 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Commuting , transit
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro hopes to expand rail Thursday
Next: Ecstasy, then agony, on Brisbane Street

Comments

I have a question that I hope your transportation team can answer. I'm looking at the traffic cameras in DC and I see that some roads that normally use reversible lanes during rush hour, such as Connecticut Ave, have lost their curb lanes to snow piles. So, Conn. Ave is down to four lanes rather than its normal six. How would rush hour traffic patterns work in this circumstance? I suspect that the Federal government will be open on liberal leave Friday and it will helpful to know in advance what the patterns are. Thanks.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | February 11, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: desidrew | February 11, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

From Dr. Gridlock: WashingtonDame, DDOT isn't planning any change in the reversible lane patterns, even though it's possible some lanes on commuter routes still will be blocked with snow by Friday morning and the traffic is likely to be heavier.

It will will be a question of obeying the red Xs and the green arrows. Even if you can't drive in all the green arrow lanes.

Posted by: Dr_Gridlock | February 11, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm supposed to catch a bus from the convention center tomorrow morning, but am coming in from Springfield. Did metro give you some sort of idea of when above ground travel on other lines will be restored?

Posted by: jade51999 | February 11, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the quick response, Dr. G.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | February 11, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Metro announced the entire Green Line is now open as of 6:30pm this evening.

Posted by: dhlunar | February 11, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Gridlock & team:

Any idea if Metro plans to run trains more often than every 20 to 25 minutes (more like 40-45 minutes in practice on the RedLine)?

That info would make a huge difference in my attempting to find alternative childcare for tommorrow...

Posted by: dahozho | February 11, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Will the Yellow line be opened by tomorrow morning's rush hour?

Posted by: snd1 | February 11, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Is the Arlington Cemetery station open? Will commuters from DC or Rosslyn be able to get to the Pentagon via Metro?

Posted by: mc93 | February 11, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow is going to be a mess. Looking through cameras I'm seeing roads like 18th Street NW at one lane, PA Avenue NW is 4 lanes (normally 6+parking). I think this decision was more political than practical.

Posted by: idiparker | February 11, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Is Metro still planning the massive rail replacement at Rosslyn this weekend? Is Rosslyn station closed the entire time and will busses be used from DC to VA (orange line)?

Posted by: kc47i | February 11, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm a MARC commuter on the Brunswick line. I checked the MARC site for info on Friday's commute but it's down saying "service unavailable". Is there any word on what the MARC/Brunswick line status will be tomorrow?

Posted by: sandushinka | February 11, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

How icy are the roads 270, beltway expected to be at night?

Posted by: mdupray | February 11, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

the rail project for this weekend was postponed

Posted by: bmp246 | February 11, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that metro could have easily opened the yellow line over the potomac.. This would have atleast connected crystal city and pentagon area to DC.. Also if they could have simply opened the stretch between rosslyn and Pentagon.. this would have made a huge difference. What was the point of running trains between crystal city and Pentagon city stations? That's only a 10 minute walk. Metro needs to do a better job at concentrating on key segments to reopen. Having these two segemnts opened would have made a world of difference.

Posted by: nbreese2 | February 11, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else having trouble getting to the Metro site? An update on the Orange Line would be nice....

Posted by: jkuchen | February 11, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I had an E-Mail from MARC saying that the Brunswick and Camden lines will be closed but that the Penn line will be open Friday, Feb. 12.

Posted by: AFisherADS | February 11, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

"My car is currently in the parking garage of an above-ground Metro station (which as of today is still closed). It's been there since last Friday when the first storm hit.

This might be a dumb question...in light of the weather, will cars that have been in these Metro garages be subject to towing?"

No, you will just have to pay when you exit tomorrow. It will only be for one day because most of the metro was down.

Posted by: bandy | February 11, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Attention MARC Passengers--

On Friday, February 11, MARC will operate an S schedule on the Penn Line. Only trains with an "S" under the train number in the timetable will operate. In addition, some express trains will make extra stops, as denoted by an "S" in the timetable grid. However, the following Penn Line trains will not operate: 423, 427, 431, 414, and 416.

Station parking lots and platforms have been cleared and treated, however, snow piles exceed 15 feet in some places and re-freezing is likely this evening. Please exercise extreme caution when driving to your station, parking your car, and walking to and boarding your train.

There will be no service on the Camden Line. Passengers are encouraged to use the Penn Line; Camden Line tickets are always honored from comparable stations on the Penn Line.

There will also be no service on the Brunswick Line. Heavier snowfalls northwest of Washington have made restoring operations more challenging. At this time, Washington Metrorail has not restored service to Shady Grove and Rockville, however, service has been restored to Silver Spring. Please check WMATA's website, www.wmata.com , in the morning to check the status of the above-ground stations on the Red Line.

As a reminder, MARC trains will not operate on Monday, February 15 (Presidents' Day). While we anticipate running full service on Tuesday, February 16, a final decision will be made on Monday evening. This status will be updated at www.mta.maryland.gov .

Thank you for riding MARC Train Service.

February 11, 2010 7:32 PM

Posted by: AFisherADS | February 11, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Metro web sites seems overwhelmed. Does anyone know if Red Line north of Medical Center will open on Friday?

Posted by: artbrodsky | February 11, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Art Brodsky..
I was able to get on WMATA and
Metrorail service to start Friday morning will include all Green, Yellow and Blue line stations. The Red Line will operate between Medical Center and Glenmont Metrorail stations with Grosvenor-Strathmore, White Flint, Twinbrook, Rockville and Shady Grove Metrorail stations remaining closed due to heavy snow that remains on the tracks. The Orange Line will operate between New Carrollton and Ballston Metrorail stations with East Falls Church, West Falls Church-VT/UVA, Dunn Loring-Merrifield and Vienna/Fairfax-GMU Metrorail stations remaining closed, also due to heavy snow on the tracks, including snow drifts of three to six feet.

Posted by: joebananas1 | February 11, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I can confirm that Metro will not tow cars parked overnight when the system was shut down above ground. My car was stranded at West Falls Church the weekend of the December blizzard, and it was fine when I got back to it Monday morning. As someone said, you'll pay for one day if you get out after 10:30 AM. If you can get to it before then or on the weekend when the gates are up, you get out for free.

Posted by: thetan | February 11, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I was having trouble loading WMATA.com so I got this off of facebook:

Summary of Metrorail service expected for Friday, Feb. 12

• Red Line limited service: Medical Center to Glenmont
• Orange Line limited service: Ballston to New Carrollton
• Blue Line all stations open: Franconia-Springfield to Largo Town Center
• Green Line all stations open: Greenbelt to Branch Avenue
• Yellow Line all stations open: Huntington to Fort Totten

Posted by: LaVerdad1 | February 11, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

WashingtonDame...DDOT has not changed their reversible lanes at all throughout this entire ordeal. During howling winds and sideways snow yesterday, the "Use 2 lanes" signs, etc. were all lit up and the signals were definitely timing on their rush hour pattern. I wasn't on the roads, but I could see it from my window.

This morning, the signs were lit up again, but drivers were just using 2 lanes each direction. I suppose the crush of rush hour traffic, and more commuters familiar with the routes, will probably get most drivers to go 3/1 in the rush hour direction, but I don't know.

Rock Creek Parkway is reversing as normal, though in more than a few places, there is a lane lost. Where all lanes are open, they are EXTREMELY narrow. But the road was probably one of the best plowed in the entire city.

Posted by: thetan | February 11, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

oops, that first sentence might be confusing. DDOT did not alter their reversible lane schedule at all.

Posted by: thetan | February 11, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Many above-ground Metro stations closed (Shady Grove!!) and trains running only every 25 minutes? I bet a lot of them are 4-car trains, too. Did we not learn anything when the Gov't opened before Metro could handle it after the snow in January 1996?

I sense an epic FAIL, OPM.

Posted by: Lash117 | February 11, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

As those of you working in 1996 recall, we only attempted to work one day that year, too. Metro couldn't handle the load - no one wanted to drive, because the roads weren't passible. The only way to get inbound was to go outbound first. As I recall, federal employees were forgiven their entire commute in, which for me was over 2 1/2 hours. Go early and avoid the rush, don't hang back thinking you have two extra hours at home!

I for one, am grateful to be heading back to work. I could only do a fraction of my job from home (although I had fun working on a project of my own making - that is, when I wasn't shovelling 3 hours a day).

Posted by: sduk | February 11, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse