Metro officers injured in fracas

Two Metro Transit police officers were injured Wednesday after they were punched by an 18-year-old at the Addison Road Station, a Metro spokeswoman said.

At about 4:30 p.m., Metro police were called to the station to quell a group of disorderly juveniles, said Cathy Asato, an agency spokeswoman. One person in the group began throwing punches and landed blows on two officers, she said. The man then took off running but was apprehended and subdued after a short foot chase, she said.

Both officers were transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, Asato said. The suspect, she said, was also hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

The confrontation began at the entrance to the Metro station and spilled outside, Asato said. Asato declined to name the 18-year-old but said he will be charged with assault on a police officer.

-- Matt Zapotosky

By Washington Post Editors  |  February 17, 2010; 6:48 PM ET
Categories:  Commuting , Metro , transit
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ride home a challenge for some
Next: Headaches on the horizon

Comments

I see unruly people in the Metro almost every day and a lot of them are teenagers and Metro employees in the station just turn their heads. Disturbing!

Posted by: DCGuyme | February 17, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Another one of PG's finest citizens....

18 is not a juvi...he's an adult, and should be treated as such. Considering that this happened in PG, he's lucky to be alive....

Posted by: thetan | February 17, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

That's one way to get the sh*t "subdued" out of you.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 17, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

That's one way to get the sh*t "subdued" out of you.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | February 17, 2010 8:55 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LOL

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 18, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

This morning the people on the platform at Gallery Place were so rude. As usual the Red Line train was packed and it took a while for the people to get off the car. I was waiting to get on and the doors closed soon after the people got off. I got pushed so hard from the sides and from behind my glasses were knocked from my head and either went into the waiting train (doors closing) or onto the tracks. I don't know what makes people act like animals when another train will be coming soon.

Posted by: gingergirl1 | February 18, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

And they ask me why I drive to work!

Posted by: PepperDr | February 18, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

L'Enfant Plaza on any given afternoon rush hour. Especially, since the local gangs have been pushed inside by the snow.

Posted by: Morgantoo | February 18, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

This is why I drive.

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 18, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Among Metro's many problems, the problem of disorderly riders is a huge problem that I see/hear daily. Until someone is actually shot and killed on the sub, nothing will be done. And sadly, THAT may not even move Metro to hire/staff more officers to walkthru trains to check for violence. And kids in groups being loud and acting silly is annoying but not unusual. The profanity and the actual verbal threats and physical violence need to be checked though. It is way too much of that on the bus/sub every day and someone is going to get hurt or killed before it's all said and done.

Posted by: kahlua87 | February 18, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Out of control, rude, attention-seeking, mouthy, in packs kids and adolescents are a major problem. I'm very surprised more altercations haven't occured. Metro needs to do something, but what? Perhaps an age limit that requires an adult to be with them? I don't know, but one day some punk may find themselves nudged off a platform as the train approaches.

Posted by: jckdoors | February 18, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

It's never too early to ruin your life. Assaulting police officers is an excellent way to start. They're all pigs anyway. Who cares about the cops. Always harassing peeps on their way to the library or church. I wonder what the "argument" was about? Something of huge importance I'm sure. Someone felt they were being...ahem...cough...dramatic pause...DISRESPECTED!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: uncivil | February 18, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The offenders will be freed and they will do it again.

Posted by: mackmarks | February 18, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

They're just biding their time til they end up in jail or prison. For urban inner city youth, it's not cool for a young man NOT to have a criminal record before he's 21. Studying & doing well in school is for wimps & girls. Much better to be a tough guy ladies man/playa. The next Lebron James or head of the Bloods/Crips. I have been riding Metro for over 20 years & I'm really surprised more people don't get shot/stabbed on the Metro when you consider all of the lowlifes & wannabe gangstas who ride it. Doesn't take much to set them off especially when they're in large groups.

Posted by: uncivil | February 18, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The term is "thug" not "juvenile"

Posted by: member5 | February 18, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

PG County, armpit of Maryland.

Posted by: savethepcbs | February 18, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

that happens on the Metro all the time. And of course...with it being Addison Rd. Station and from the sound of the story, I bet he is black. That just gives us black people a very bad name, and you really wonder why other races sometimes look at us a s criminals. I wonder what injuries the 18 year old suffered, I know they beat the hell out of him, when they caught him. The courts need to make an example out of his dumb butt.

Posted by: nuvizionzent | February 18, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Where are their "mothers"? Hitting cops is hardly normal behavior. Where do they learn that it's ok to do that? I would say "parents" but Pops is usually missing in action somewhere in the continental USA. Babies having babies. Idiot girls getting pregnant by thugs & giving birth to more future thugs.

Posted by: uncivil | February 18, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse