Snow removal on Wisconsin Avenue

District snow crews are working in the 4600 to 4800 blocks of Wisconsin Avenue near Nebraska Avenue NW, the District Department of Transportation says. They are scheduled to be done and off the avenue by 5 p.m.

Minor delays are likely until the crews are finished, which should be before rush hour, DDOT says.

A traveler wrote in to tell me this hadn't worked out so well on Wednesday night.

Hi Dr. Gridlock:
I was appalled and angry Wednesday night while commuting to see bulldozers blocking all of Wisconsin Avenue down near M Street, clearing snow at 6 in the evening.

REALLY? During rush hour?! I understand that the ice and snow needs to be cleared out of the street, but they were stopping traffic completely in both directions for 10 minutes at a time at the corner of Wisconsin and M while the dozers maneuvered back and forth and dumped loads of snow into trucks parked on the other side of the street.

That might have been the end of the last tiny speck of respect I had for the city. I know this was an outlier freak storm, and I don't expect perfection, but this seems too ludicrous for words. There are 24 hours in the day, and 8 of them are already a traffic nightmare. Why not clear Wisconsin at 2 in the morning when no one is trying to drive home?

Anne Sclater
The District

By Robert Thomson  |  February 18, 2010; 4:27 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Weather
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro unveils station artwork
Next: More snow problems at garages

Comments

I heard that the Chevy Chase Circle was CLOSED for 45 minutes during the morning rush hour on Monday or Tuesday! Someone obviously doesn't want to get re-elected!!!!

Posted by: 1of9000 | February 18, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The people who use Chevy Chase circle don't vote in the District. Ditto the large snow pile that's been blocking E at 20th (i.e., right off the bridge) this week.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 18, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the snow removal on Wisconsin was the real reason no N buses were forthcoming this morning on Cathedral Avenue (even though "Next Bus" told us they were coming and even ARRIVING!). I'm from Detroit originally, and if D.C. isn't the most ##$$**-backward city, I don't what is.

Posted by: DCResident10 | February 18, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCResident10 | February 18, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

They didn't finish. I hopped on a 31 bus at Wisconsin and Upton heading north around 7:30pm. Dump trucks were lined up the rightmost northbound lane from just south of Tenley Circle all the way past Albemarle. Certainly made a mess, especially with all of the in service buses and out of service buses that head up that way to the garage.

Posted by: ChrisDC1 | February 18, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse