VDOT: 500,000 tons to clear
1:37 p.m. UPDATE: More from VDOT on its efforts:
- Estimates it will remove 500,000 tons of snow in Northern Virginia.
- Equipment from Richmond and Hampton Roads will move to Northern Virginia on Tuesday to assist with the effort.
- Crews will be using special equipment, such as graders, bucket loaders, tandems and backhoes in neighborhoods. The interstate trucks are too big to work there and the normal trucks can't handle the job.
Original post: It could be days before the Virginia Department of Transportation finishes plowing neighborhoods in Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties.
VDOT says snow-clearing crews are working 24 hours a day but they must first focus on interstates and primary roads. With more than 30 inches in some areas of the Washington region, it's a Herculean task that could be complicated by additional snowfall on Tuesday.
Here is VDOT's policy on plowing subdivisions:
- The main, more heavily traveled roads in a subdivision will be plowed first, to be followed by low-volume roads and cul-de-sacs.
- Plows will make one or two trips to provide a path through neighborhood streets, but they will not clear to bare pavement or from curb to curb.
- Because chemicals are not used in subdivisions, roads will remain snowpacked and rutted after the plow has passed. Crews will put sand on hills, curves and intersections as needed to provide traction.
- If planning to shovel their driveways, residents should try to refrain from clearing the last few feet at the curb until your street is plowed, as plows may push snow back into driveways. It also helps to shovel to the right as you face the road.
- VDOT does not remove snow from sidewalks or trails. VDOT plow drivers have assigned routes that include each and every state-maintained road in northern Virginia.
VDOT asks that residents contact the agency if they have not seen a plow in their subdivision by Wednesday. Call 703-383-VDOT or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the location.
Posted by: gfriday | February 7, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: livia53 | February 7, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: thetan | February 7, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: stuckman | February 7, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: dottie_b | February 7, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: thetan | February 7, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: 1995hoo | February 7, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: thetan | February 8, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: swingruss | February 8, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: rhamberger | February 8, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.