Bill on ignition locks advances in Md.

Maryland senators are backing a bill to require people convicted of drunken driving for the first time to install ignition locking devices in their vehicles.

Senators voted 44 to 0 Friday in support of the measure.

Offenders would also pay for the costs of putting the systems in their vehicles.

Gov. Martin O'Malley has said he would sign such legislation.

A drunken driver would have to participate in the program for six months on a first violation. People given probation would not have to participate.

The device, which is installed in the dashboard of a vehicle, requires a person to blow into it. If a driver's breath alcohol content is above a set limit, the car won't start.

The bill now moves to the House for consideration.

-- Associated Press

By Michael Bolden  |  March 26, 2010; 6:55 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Transportation Politics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Headaches on the horizon
Next: MARC issues and VRE delays

Comments

In Maryland you can be arrested for blowing a .07 - that's a beer for most people. Interlock is a great program for chronic offenders, but if you have a beer with dinner do you REALLY think it's necessary to be burdened with this chain around their necks?

Also consider that these things will give you a positive reading if you use mouthwash, and can cost $200 to install and $60 a month, which, in addition to the fine, court costs and lawyer costs, is eaten by the accused. To not be given the option to take a license suspension is ludicrous.

Posted by: reiflame1 | March 27, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

These devices are inaccurate. I have one in my truck. The cost was $125.00 to install and $74.00 per month. Needless to say I've given up drinking. They show a positive reading on coffee, donuts, pizza, and numerous other things for instance, I had a fail after drinking "French Vanilla Coffee" from 7/11 at 5:30 A.M. and at 5:31 A.M. it passed me, which resulted in a violation. End result was a one month extension, MVA in Maryland only gets the fails and not the full monthly monitoring report which would prove that if I failed I would not have been able to pass and start the vehicle a minute later. When I complained I was told that I would be suspended if took the issued any further by MVA. The interlock company profits an extra $74.00 from their faulty equipment. That was on 7/09, now yesterday I failed again - Amish Market, soft pretzel. I wonder if it was 100 proof. Again a minute later I was able to start the truck and drive home and this will be another violation. By the way 7/11's coffee gave me a 0.028 BAC wow. The interlock company will not give you a copy of the monthly monitoring so I dont have a leg to stand on at MVA, what a crock and a ripoff...

Posted by: FrankMonzon | March 27, 2010 4:05 AM | Report abuse

This legislation seems ineffectual, qualifying as "feel good" kinda stuff.

Aren't these devices easy to circumvent, when someone who hasn't been drinking blows?

Posted by: hungrypirana | March 27, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

.07 is a beer for "most people"?

It's time for you to check a blood-alcohol calculator -- to blow .07 after one beer, you would have to be a 65-pound woman who drinks the entire beer in one chug and then begins driving immediately.

Posted by: stuckman | March 27, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

These type of requirements would be great, if the devices weren't so buggy.

I've never had to have one, but I've heard horror stories of cars that start blaring the horn on the highway because the driver had a coffee or something. Or a car being started by a valet or parking attendant who used a breath mint. Or a car at the shop, where the tech doesn't know how to work the thing and causes multiple violations.

Each of these instances aren't the owner's fault. I'm all for keeping drunks off the road, but we need to be fair about it.

Posted by: afsljafweljkjlfe | March 27, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

The democrat lawyers need more money. Follow the money trail to see who gets rich off of this. I'll bet it's all about the democrat judges, the democrat lawyers,
the kickbacks to the democrats from the sale of the devices, installation firms and monitoring firms. Follow the money to the crooked democrats that run maryland.

I used to date a girl that owned an ankle bracelet monitoring firm and you wouldn't believe the kickback stories I heard about the democrats on that.

Posted by: twotimetuna | March 28, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey stuckman, if the post above blew a .02 from a CUP OF COFFEE, then imagine what a beer would register on the damn thing.

Posted by: reiflame1 | March 29, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse