Va. police crackdown nets 7,000 tickets

Plans for police crackdowns often are announced with great fanfare. On Monday, Virginia State Police followed up by revealing the results: More than 7,000 tickets issued over the weekend on Interstates 95 and 81.

Called "Operation Air, Land and Speed," the intensified effort netted 3,536 speeders, 717 reckless drivers and 20 drunk drivers. There also were 310 people cited for driving without a seatbelt and 35 drug or felony arrests.

There were more speeders on I-81 than I-95 (2,061 compared with 1,475) and more reckless drivers on I-95 (505 in contrast to 212). The enforcement targeted all 177 miles of I-95 and all 325 miles of I-81 in Virginia.

-- Ashley Halsey III

By Washington Post Editors  |  March 8, 2010; 4:20 PM ET
Categories:  Safety , highways
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Penn Line faces disruption
Next: Maryland upgrading highway signs

Comments

I doubt this information is available, but I'd love to know the speeds at which the ticketed motorists were driving.

Posted by: 1995hoo | March 8, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

If they tried this on 495 or 66, the region would be shut down.

Posted by: member5 | March 8, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I drove down I95 to Richmond on Friday and back on Saturday. There were Virginia State Police cars with people pulled over every 10 miles or so.

Posted by: jcflack1 | March 8, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

They should enforce the use of signals in the Metro area as a revenue generator. It appears that 3 in 10 people indicate their intention to turn by use of signal lights. The last time I look it was still required by law to signal your intent to turn. A great way to keep roads safe and generate money.

Posted by: eschborntt | March 8, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

After getting crackdowned by a similar stint on 28. I feel like the cops should go out of town. But why the big brother shakedown? I guess someone has to pay for the new Courthouse buildings built recently... My MD buddies continue to speed and get preferential treatment in VA courts. No car tax and less speed traps in MD.

Posted by: jercha | March 8, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The reason there are more speeding tickets on I-85 is because when you first get on I-85 from I-95 the speed limit goes to 70 mph. Around Dinwittle (sic) the spped drops to 55 mph. You really hace to be on your toes to notice the speed sign when you reach Dinwittle (sic).

Posted by: Jimof1913 | March 8, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Crackdown my fannie. They have tons of revenue to recoup after not being able to ticket for nearly the whole month of February. This is/was fundraising pure and simple. Not that I have a huge problem with it but call it what it si.

Posted by: ouvan59 | March 8, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@Jimof1913

It was I-81 in western VA not I-85 where the crackdown was.

Posted by: jbgroup1 | March 8, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

quotas. they are unconstitutional but what do the cops care? $$$$$$$$$$ retirement!!!!! station cars to pick up kids in and buy coffee in.

Posted by: FiatBooks | March 8, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse