Md. cellphone bill moves ahead

A Maryland House of Delegates committee has approved a measure that would require drivers to use hands-free devices to talk on cellphones while behind the wheel.

The House Environmental Matters Committee voted Wednesday to approve a bill that already has been passed by the Senate. The bill goes to the full House for consideration, where any action could come over the next several days. The current session is scheduled to end on Monday.

Drivers could only use their hands to turn a phone on and off. They wouldn't be allowed to hold a cellphone during the conversation.

Drivers could be fined $40 for violations, under the bill.

According to a recent Post poll, more than half of drivers talks on the phone while driving.

Several recent studies have reported that hands-free cellphone use still is a distraction for drivers.

-- Wire and staff reports

By Michael Bolden  |  April 8, 2010; 10:25 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Douglass Bridge reopens
Next: Metrobus detours for summit

Comments

More nanny state laws.

Posted by: wpjunk | April 8, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

The real benefit of this sort of law is that it theoretically makes it easier for someone who is hit by a cell-phone user to prove that the cell-phone user was negligent, since the hands-free law would generally be considered persuasive evidence of the standard of care (i.e., if you don't use a hands-free device, you're not acting in a reasonable manner).

Posted by: 1995hoo | April 8, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wpjunk | April 8, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter. You took your eyes off the road to focus on 1/8 inch buttons.

Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Posted by: fireball72 | April 8, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Then make the law as such.

Posted by: wpjunk | April 8, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"And how can a peace officer tell if one is dialing (which would require using the phone) or texting? I have a bluetooth speaker/mic on my headset but to dial, I must find the name/person in the phone first."

Doesn't your phone have voice-dialing? Mine does and as far as I know most phones do these days. If I'm using the earpiece I just hit the button on the back of the earpiece, say "Call ____," it repeats "Did you say 'Call ____?'," I say "Yes," it asks "Which number: Home, Work, Mobile?," I tell it which one, and it dials the call. Interesting thing is that I didn't have to record each contact's name, either. (In my other car I do not use the earpiece because the car has a built-in Bluetooth system allowing voice-dialing independent of the phone's capabilities. In that car I had to voice-program the phone book with people's names, although I can still just say a person's number and hope that the system doesn't get it wrong.)

Posted by: 1995hoo | April 8, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse