Pentagon City station reopened

Updated, 10:27 p.m.
The station has reopened, but expect delays to continue on both the Yellow and Blue lines. The package was deemed not harmful, according to WMATA.

The closure was related to both a suspicious package at the station and a phoned-in threat.

Earlier post: The Pentagon City Metro station is closed due to a police situation, according to WMATA. Shuttle bus service has been established. We'll update you as we learn more.

The station is closed for a police investigation. WMATA has now said that they are investigating a suspicious package. The incident began just after 5:30 p.m.

Blue and Yellow line trains are not going through the station -- the Yellow Line is running from Huntington to Crystal City and from the Pentagon to Fort Totten, and the Blue Line from Franconia-Springfield to Crystal City and from Pentagon to Largo Town Center.

Expect delays on both lines.

--Martin Weil

By Terri Rupar  |  April 3, 2010; 5:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Traffic problems on 18th St. NW
Next: I-395 North slow

Comments

station from hell

located at a shopping mall, packages all day long

Posted by: blasmaic | April 3, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I just picked up two stranded tourists from the Arlington Cemetery station. This is NOT a red-letter day for Metro. When the trains were stopped, the passengers were told shuttle buses would take them to Crystal City. Then they were told there would be no shuttle buses -- basically, people are being told to fend for themselves. There are literally hundreds of people milling around Memoral Drive, trying to figure out what to do next. Pitiful, Metro, pitiful.

Posted by: HeresJohnny2010 | April 3, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Please be patient. Trains will be moving shortly.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | April 3, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

You know, terrorists wouldn't need to blow up anything to create utter chaos. A dozen strategically placed suspicious packages would grid-lock the region for days on end.

Posted by: ceebee2 | April 3, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Well at least the people at Arlington Cemetery aren't alone. That stop is highly dangerous. Orange Line communters who are strung out get on a Blue train riding home, then get off at Arlington Cememtery after they miss the transfer in Rosslyn. Because they're so disoriented that they got on the wrong train to begin with, they become easy targets for mugging at the empty station.

Posted by: blasmaic | April 3, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Today was one of the worst days I've had on metro, and that's saying a lot. After disembarking at Pentagon station, there was NO information (and no personnel to even ask). After waiting for nonexistent shuttle buses, I gave up and called someone to come get me. It was only as I was walking toward the parking lot that I noticed crowds walking toward Pentagon City station, where supposedly buses were waiting. Why were there no Metro personnel on hand to spread this information?

Posted by: smith241 | April 4, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

"Why were there no Metro personnel on hand to spread this information?"
===================================

Actually they were announcing it on the train and in the stations, and it was also on the arrival and departure boards.

Posted by: bromisky | April 4, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Metro's response to this emergency was appalling. There were literally hundreds of people milling around the Pentagon station, looking for shuttle buses that never arrived, and not one metro employee was there to help. Eventually, a large group simply walked to the Crystal City metro stop. Tourists who didn't know better were left to fend for themselves. I spoke to a police officer and a metro employee about this situation, and both shrugged. God help us if we have a terrorist attack on the DC metro.

Posted by: goroku | April 4, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Metro's actions on Saturday were nothing less than a complete embarrassment to a system that has supposedly promised to do better.

As an area that regularly gets to overreact to things like "suspicious packages", each metro station should have pre-printed signs to put out, and directions to provide for shuttle buses. At pentagon, there was NOTHING. The previous person who said it was announced - no directions weren't provided or those audio system are so poor they can't be heard by the majority of riders. Outside there were cops, but you had to walk all the way to the other end to find any metro worker and she was yelling and screaming at people without providing useful information.

Oh, and the advice the cops were giving out was to walk. As I can't walk distances (and was far from the only one), walking is NOT an option and NOT the service I paid for or expected.

This total breakdown of management and crowd control was just disgraceful and entirely unacceptable. Metro needs a house cleaning and to be rebuilt from top to bottom. And they wonder they are losing money.

Posted by: dasha2 | April 4, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Worst Day ever on metro, and I've had a lot of bad days.
I was stranded in an overcrowded Lefant Plaza station with a rightfully cranky 16 month old, and only a few metro employees visible. Its like they properly staffed the stations in the morning and afternoon, but had no one there for the evening rush. They did try to announce the station closure, but you had to be watching the boards, because the PA system still sucks baseballs. The rowdy hungover BOsox fans didn't help either. We waited 30 minutes for a train to the pentagon station where we could take a shuttle bus, but none ever came. We gave up on metro, walked 3 blocks to find a taxi who was willing stop for a brother,(i actually threw my wife and kid out on the street to catch this guy, made me feel bad, like a pimp) anyways, METRO, I kept my receipt, I'd like my cab fare reimbursed. Thanks-

Posted by: neogeomedia | April 4, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I whole heartedly agree with all the posts above. Sure the announcements said there was a situation and the trains weren't going through. They told us to proceed upstairs to shuttle busses. Oh yeah one set of escalators weren't working either. WHAT BUSES???

Buses were leaving more than half empty, if you got a driver to stop and asked where they were going they had no idea.

After nearly 9 years of increased threats, suicide jumpers and other general chaos one would expect the metro to have seamless plans, but anyone there yesterday would think this had NEVER happened before.

I hate the metro and prefer to drive and this just proves why. At least in traffic I can usually do something to get around.

Posted by: Iteach3 | April 4, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

There's no excuse for what happened yesterday. Absolutely apalling. Anyone and everyone working for Metro who had any responsibility for responding to an emergency should be fired upon reporting to work Monday. No one was at the Pentagon to direct people -- no one was providing any meaningful assistance at Pentagon City, either -- and, as others pointed out, the only advice we got was shrugs. We ended up having to walk from the Pentagon to Crystal City and didn't see a single shuttle bus the entire time. So Metro obviously lied to us about there being any shuttle buses available. Totally agree that Metro needs to be rebuilt -- so let's start from the top and work down from there.

Posted by: alannpro | April 4, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, Dr. G, it looks like there needs to be some serious follow-up questioning about this event and the VRE fiasco on Friday. Is it going to happen?

Posted by: ceebee2 | April 4, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Metro should just close on weekends until they can figure out how to have basic weekday service. This would not have happened if Metro was closed, but now the effects will continue all week... "due to an earlier disruption at Pentagon City."

Posted by: fireball72 | April 4, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I got on the Blue line at Rosslyn after they announced that the train would be terminating at Pentagon. Seeing as my destination was Pentagon City mall, I knew if there weren't any shuttles, I could easily walk from the station.

Imagine our surprise when the train stopped at Arlington Cemetery and told everyone to get off. The 2340576 tourists and I ended up milling around Memorial Dr, and no shuttle buses in sight. I waited there for a good 45 minutes until a friend picked me up, and up until then no buses arrived, and no employees were around to provide information.

Complete clusterf*** on Metro's part. The whole system is a mess, and riders continue to bear the brunt of their incompetence.

Posted by: Dynaformer | April 6, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse