Memorial Day traffic roundup

Here's a look at the headaches faced by commuters as they try to get away for the weekend:

4:45 P.M. UPDATE:

-- An accident on I-95 South shortly after the Springfield Interchange is blocking the center lane, so expect delays to build up around the Interchange.

-- There's also a disabled vehicle on I-95 South after Occoquan, and it's blocking the right lane.

-- The traffic is still moving well on U.S. 50 East at the Bay Bridge. There's a bit of buildup at the toll plaza, but that's it.

-- Traffic is incredibly sluggish on the Beltway near College Park.

-- On I-95 North between College Park and Baltimore, there's pretty heavy traffic.

-- The Outer Loop is incredibly slow near the American Legion Bridge.

3:55 P.M. UPDATE:

-- U.S. 50 East at the Bay Bridge is eerily quiet right now.

-- I-66 West is still sluggish after the Beltway.

-- I-495 North is hugely backed up at the American Legion Bridge.

-- I-95 South is still very slow at Dumfries Road, but the exit ramp is no longer blocked.

-- I-95 North is a bit sluggish between the Beltway and Baltimore.

-- The Beltway is also moving sluggishly south of U.S. 50.

3:10 P.M. UPDATE:

-- On I-95 South at Dumfries Road, the south exit ramp is now blocked by an accident. Traffic is snarled in Dumfries, but clears up shortly thereafter.

-- The Beltway is a parking lot near College Park -- both loops are just crawling. It's not so congested to the east of that area (as you get closer to New Hampshire Avenue) and it's also better down by U.S. 50.

-- Things are still clear in the area of the Bay Bridge.
2:40 P.M. UPDATE:

-- Things are still moving in the area of the Bay Bridge.

-- Things are not, however, going well on the Beltway in Maryland. Both directions are slowed to a crawl on the northeast stretch of both loops.

2:30 P.M. UPDATE:

-- I-95 Southbound remains bad around Triangle and is pretty sluggish south of that as well.

-- An accident on I-95 South at Dumfries Road is blocking the right lane and right shoulder, which should further slow traffic.

-- I-66 West also remains slow.

2 P.M. UPDATE:

-- It's much the same on and around the Bay Bridge. It slows as you are heading eastbound on U.S. 50, after the bridge it moves again.

-- I-95 South remains jammed heading to Triangle.

-- I-66 West is also slowed outside of the Beltway, for people heading in that direction. 1:30 P.M. UPDATE:

-- Traffic on U.S. 50 Eastbound at the Bay Bridge is much the same, according to traffic cameras. Things get a bit slow just west of the bridge, but they are moving fluidly on the other side of the bridge.

-- U.S. 50 doesn't appear too bad just outside of Annapolis.

-- There are still bad backups on I-95 South near Triangle. Things get bad just south of Woodbridge.

-- I-95 North appears to be moving pretty fluidly to the north of the Beltway and north of Baltimore, too.

-- On the Beltway in Alexandria (I-95 North at Telegraph Road), traffic is badly backed up, so that will slow you in that stretch.

ORIGINAL POST:
-- I-95 South is pretty congested just past Triangle. The backups are already several miles long, so if you're going southbound prepare for a long haul.

-- U.S. 50 Eastbound is pretty backed up at Sandy Point. On U.S. 50 to the east of the bride, things are actually moving fluidly. At least from the traffic cameras, things seem to build up right at the bridge.

By Mark Berman  |  May 28, 2010; 12:55 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Chesapeak Bay Bridge , Commuting , Congestion , Getaway  | Tags: Bay Bridge, I-95 South, U.S. 50
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Memorial Day getaway traffic
Next: Rolling Thunder road closures

Comments

Please remove this twitter nonsense. It's a huge box taking up prime real estate on the blog and not providing any information. If I want twitter I will go to freakin twitter.

Posted by: UMDTerpsGirl | May 28, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

It's not bumping anything off the blog and is therefore easy to ignore, so what's the problem? Just ignore it.

Posted by: 1995hoo | May 28, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I strongly agree with UMDTerpsGirl. This Twitter blog post is like a Fox News commentator: a waste of space that offers no information and only confuses the matter at hand.

Posted by: informedtraveller | May 28, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

A compromise would be to make the Twitter feed available only after one clicks on the blog post to read more.

Posted by: informedtraveller | May 28, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Agreed informedtraveller, after the "jump" would be fine. But it did bump things off the page (About security patrols in the metro and new metro cars). And for what information? A retweet of the same message 8 times:

"Help! Headed out for Memorial Day weekend today? Stuck in traffic? Tweet us with #dctraffic and let us know what you're seeing."

and some guy saying he wants "2 move 2 montana" because there are no cars there. REAL HELPFUL. NOT!

If the tweets actually contain useful information such as "tractor trailer blocking all south bound lanes of I-95" or "just took me 5 hours to drive 3 miles on the beltway...stay away", I wouldn't complain. But this is USELESS, like 98% of the things on twitter.

Posted by: UMDTerpsGirl | May 28, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I hadn't read any of the stuff in the box, mainly because I don't need to drive anywhere this afternoon. After seeing the comment above I glanced at it and you're absolutely right: 7 of the 10 entries appearing in the box as I type this all say exactly the same thing and an 8th is very similar (soliciting input in fewer words).

One hopes that if people are driving, they won't be seeing this sort of thing, much less responding to it, though I suppose there's no reason why a passenger couldn't be monitoring this sort of feed.

Posted by: 1995hoo | May 28, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1995hoo | May 28, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the double post. The page timed out and so I assumed it had not gone through. (Anyone else finding it to be slow after hitting "submit" lately?)

Posted by: 1995hoo | May 28, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

1995hoo - I had the same thing happen for both of my posts. After getting the time-out message, I hit the back button, then reloaded / refreshed the page, and my comment was recorded after all.

UMDTerpsGirl - You're spot on.

Posted by: informedtraveller | May 28, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The Post filters user comments on these blogs for profanity, but obviously they have no problem allowing it in the comments in that box up above. Nice job.

Posted by: 1995hoo | May 28, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't suffer in silence. Join DC/Baltimore drivers fighting Memorial Day traffic and the crush of daily commuter driving by using CommuteX -- the first free app (@ iTunes store) to turn iPhones into anonymous traffic sensors. CommuteX users or anyone who visits CommuteX.com can view actual traffic right now. Each commute is broken into 5-mile segements. Help yourself & others as the aggregate data will be free to download July 4th. "Share your pain & share the gain" by tweeting, posting on Facebook or uploading your video travel tales... Visit http://tinyurl.com/commutex

Posted by: debraeisenberg | May 28, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

The Twitter feed is picking up tweets with profanity which means that I won't be able to access this page at work, since we use filters. Thanks for nothing (again), WaPo.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | May 30, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

How about losing the Twitter feed? It really adds absolutely nothing except profanity...

Posted by: ceebee2 | May 31, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse