Red Line delays lifted

9 A.M. UPDATE:

The Jenifer Street entrance to the Friendship Heights Metro station is currently unavailable, according to Metro. All elevators and escalators are out of service.

8 A.M. UPDATE:

The Red Line delays have been lifted, according to Metro.

7:15 A.M. UPDATE:

Red Line delays are still ongoing. How bad are the delays? Sound off in the comments below and let your fellow commuters know what you've seen.

6:30 A.M. UPDATE:

The situation outside Union Station has been resolved, but big delays remain on the Red Line, according to Metro.

6:10 A.M. UPDATE:

Big Red Line delays are expected this morning due to the derailment of track equipment near Union Station earlier this morning. Trains are sharing a single track between the Judiciary Square and New York Ave-Florida Ave-Gallaudet U Metrorail stations. Metro warns riders to expect delays of up to an hour.

The derailed track equipment is called a Petibone. It was on the track heading to Glenmont at 4:23 a.m., according to Metro. There were no injuries and it was re-railed about an hour later. Workers are currently making repairs to a portion of the track that was damaged by the derailment.

Metro advises riders heading downtown from Glenmont to transfer at Fort Totten to the Green Line.

ORIGINAL POST:

There are Red Line delays stemming from a disruption at Union Station. Trains are sharing the same track between the Judiciary Square and New York Avenue stations due to a derailed piece of track equipment. Delays are in both directions.

By Mark Berman  |  May 26, 2010; 5:45 AM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Metro  | Tags: metro delays, metrorail delays, red line delays
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Headaches on the horizon
Next: I-395 North blocked at Seminary

Comments

Does metro have ANY idea as to what time the delays will end or is this going to be an all day situation?

Posted by: JG55 | May 26, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone been on yet that can relay information on the trip from Rockville/Bethesda heading downtown? How long were the delays?

Posted by: happydad3 | May 26, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I got on the red line at Silver Spring around 6:35am and arrived at Gallery Place metro station at about 7:10am. The delay only added about 5-8 minutes on my commute. I didn't even realize that there were supposed to be significant delays, and when i got to work, my boss was surprised to see me, and told me about the delays.

Posted by: rimeswithpurple | May 26, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I got on the Red Line at around 6:55 and based on the reports of hour long delays, transferred to Green at Fort Totten. Didn't notice any unusual delays between SS and FT, and got to Gallery Place right at 7:30. Metro is claiming the delays are cleared.

Posted by: runnergirl03 | May 26, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

i got on the red line at metro center to union station at 7:15 this morning. no delay at all! waited 2 minutes at metro center, and there were two others listed as coming in the next 7 minutes. even got to union station early!

Posted by: fedemployee2 | May 26, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

What is a "Petibone"?

Posted by: SoloOwl | May 26, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

My roommate told me they were evacuating Friendship Heights station -- does anyone know why?

Posted by: sk202 | May 26, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

If they had to evacuate Friendship Heights, I hope to God they're not doing "escalator rehab" at that station like they are on several other red line stations. Metro is creating an extreme safety hazard by blocking one platform-mezzanine escalator, forcing everyone coming up or down to use the same escalator. It creates a dangerous bottleneck. Again, I hope that if an evacuation did occur, that everyone was able to get out safely.

Posted by: nativetexan2 | May 26, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse