Whiskey truck stuck beneath bridge

3:55 p.m. Update: A truck loaded with whiskey became wedged under a CSX railroad bridge just south of New Market on Thursday, leaking a steady drip of the amber intoxicant onto the Frederick County pavement as crews sought to wrestle it loose.

"We've had a number of problems with tractor trailers getting stuck going under that bridge," said Sgt. Rob Embly of the Maryland State Police. "The road is clearly marked as 'no trucks' but they just don't pay attention to it."

Embly said CSX crews were leading the effort to dislodge the truck.

The single-track bridge spans two-lane Baldwin Road just before the road curves into the rural crossroads of Monrovia.

New Market, a town of just more than 400 residents, bills itself as the "antiques capital of Maryland." The antiquity of the whiskey was unclear, though it was believed to have been aged.

Asked what brand of whiskey was involved, Embly said: "I wish I knew."

-- Ashley Halsey III

Original post: Maryland State Police say a tractor-trailer hauling whiskey is stuck beneath a train bridge near New Market and leaking some of its load.

Police say the truck got stuck around 1:20 p.m. Thursday at the intersection of Route 75 and Baldwin Road. The railroad overpass there is a tight squeeze for big rigs.

The accident has forced the closure of Route 75. Police say a detour has been set up.

No word on what brand is involved.

-- Associated Press

By Michael Bolden  |  May 27, 2010; 3:10 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories , Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bridge work to close I-495 lanes
Next: Headaches on the horizon

Comments

Instead of reading the low clearance warning signs these idiots truckers just blindly follow their GPS. This isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

Posted by: ceebee2 | May 27, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

trucks need to use a GPS which has programmed truck routes in it. I know its possible to program bridge heights into a GPS, and surely there is a demand for it.

On that note, do they need any help offloading the cargo? :)

Posted by: thetan | May 27, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

No info on whether people have volunteered to help lick it off the road?

Posted by: 1995hoo | May 27, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

They need to mark the road "no trucks" or maybe "no el truckos"

Posted by: seraphina21 | May 27, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

The leaking contents are believed to be Pikesville Rye or better.

Posted by: Dave115 | May 27, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Hold on, I'm getting a new 10 gallon can and rushing to the scene to do MY part for the environment...

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 27, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I remember the time in July 2008 when I got stuck in a traffic jam on the Outer Loop at I-66 because a truck had overturned due to going too fast on the left-hand exit from the Inner Loop to westbound I-66. The truck was carrying cans of beer and many of them burst when the truck had overturned. It was over 90°F that day. A tip for all, turn on the recirculate function on your car's climate control ASAP when you encounter these kinds of scenarios. I mean, I love beer, but I do not love the smell of beer that has skunked after sitting out in hot weather all day....

"NO CAMIONES" would be the Spanish equivalent, BTW. I tend to think the US needs to start adopting more signs that use symbols instead of words (they should have started doing this when NAFTA was ratified), not just because of the Spanish-speaking population but also because of the French-speaking population up north. It's not at all unusual, even around DC, to encounter a driver from Quebec who doesn't understand some of the more esoteric signs. (Certainly it's impossible to use symbols for everything, of course, but this afternoon I was sitting at a red light and staring at the sign that said "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" and I was wondering why that sign wasn't a symbol for "left turn only.")

Posted by: 1995hoo | May 27, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Where is this exactly? NOW!

Posted by: ghokee | May 27, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

WTOP reporting it's at the intersection of Route 75 and Baldwin Road, wherever that is.

Posted by: 1995hoo | May 27, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Frederick County, about a mile south of I-70.

Posted by: ceebee2 | May 27, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

"New Market, [where the spill occurred], bills itself as the "antiques capital of Maryland." The antiquity of the whiskey was unclear, though it was believed to have been aged.

Very clever, Dr. G! Thanks for the chuckle.

Posted by: nan_lynn | May 27, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope the whiskey was aged. I tried a sample of unaged single-malt whisky one time at a distillery in Nova Scotia (it was part of a sampler of their full range of products). It was an interesting thing to try ONCE.

Posted by: 1995hoo | May 28, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, we can't expect a Mexican truck driver to even know the word "truck"

Posted by: seraphina21 | May 28, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse