Restrictions continue on Chain Bridge

Wet weather has delayed crews from finishing a critical piece of weekend work on the Chain Bridge, so traffic will be limited to one lane in each direction for the Monday morning rush hour, District Department of Transportation officials announced Sunday.

Crews were not able to complete lane restriping, which would have have allowed drivers to use all three lanes. The lane restrictions will continue until weather improves and the lane striping can be completed. District officials anticipate that will take until mid-week.

By Washington Post Editors  |  May 24, 2010; 5:27 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: High water on roads in Loudoun County
Next: Share your commuting stories

Comments

Free Bernard Madoff!

Posted by: blasmaic | May 24, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

About time. It seems this construction has been at a complete halt for 3 months. The traffic backup on the VA side every morning is terrible. Rather than work with DDOT to retime the lights or some other mitigation for the backup Arlington County decided to put up new traffic signs (that do nothing to alleviate the backup) so they can write tickets to all those VA residents waiting to cross the bridge in the AM.

Posted by: hblust | May 24, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

What traffic signs did they put up? We're (are) they on Glebe? I've seen a few (heavyset) Arlington cops right at the bottom of the ramp from Military Rd, sometimes writing tickets, but not in a few weeks.

Posted by: jiji1 | May 24, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Wondering what happened to the morning roundup digests that I have come to rely on for a heads up on morning commute headaches before heading out the door? I have not seen then for a few days. Please bring them back if possible. I enjoyed the comprehensive coverage of backups, which let me plan alternative routes if an area was particularly gnarly. If this can't be done anymore for whatever reason, can you suggest an alternative traffic status site that is blackberry-friendly and text based? No radio for me - I'm deaf. Thank you.

Posted by: CyanSquirrel | May 24, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

CyanSquirrel, I don't they they usually have those over the weekend, unless it's a particular incident. Not sure why it's missing this morning, but I've always thought this site http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/metro/traffic/index.html?nid=roll_traffic would be more useful and up-to-date to check traffic issues.

Though I'm guessing this won't work well on a BB. Maybe try traffic.com? I used to use that sometimes on my crappy plain-ol-phone.

Posted by: UMDTerpsGirl | May 24, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse