Posted at 1:33 PM ET, 02/22/2005

Restaurant Week Redux

By washingtonpost.com

Washington's annual Restaurant Week is one of the city's most popular culinary events, with folks from around the area clamoring to take advantage of discounted meals at the city's top restaurants.

This week, 10 Capitol Hill restaurants have organized the neighborhood's own Restaurant Week, offering a buy-one, get-one-free deal for entrees at lunch or dinner through Feb. 27. Some of our favorite Hill restaurants aren't participating, including Montmarte and Belga Cafe, but we'd have no qualms about dining at Cafe Berlin (dinner entrees only), Meyhane (dinner only), Tunnicliff's (lunch and dinner) or the Ugly Mug (lunch and dinner).

Meyhane offers belly-dancing shows on the weekend, in addition to delicious Turkish food, and the Ugly Mug offers pizzas and mini burgers by chef Graig Glufling, formerly of Matchbox, and has numerous flat-screen televisions for watching college basketball.

A full list of restaurants is available on the Capitol Hill Association of Merchants & Professionals' Web site, www.champsdc.org. -- Fritz

By washingtonpost.com  | February 22, 2005; 1:33 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Something About Texas
Next: In Remembrance of Pam Bricker

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I was not surprised to see that Belga has chosen not to participate in Capitol Hill Restaurant Week. Anyone who has had the displeasure of dining there knows that for some unknown reason Belga management is vying for the worst neighborhood relations award. Hey, does anyone know why a Hill restaurant finds it advantageous to insult as many Hill residents as possible? (Yes, ALL my other Hill friends have had a bad experience there)

Posted by: pete | February 22, 2005 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I would have to agree. The only time I've ever been asked to get up from my table at a restaurant before I've had a chance to finish my meal, only so the manager can accomodate a larger party, was at Belga. I was so shocked I didn't even know what to do or say. I've had better service at McDonalds. Clearly they're not trying to court Hill residents, or develop any loyal clientelle at all.

Posted by: Karen | February 23, 2005 9:58 AM | Report abuse

yup - same here. Good food, nice space - HORRIBLE SERVICE and not apologetic about it in the least. Our appetizer and meal came within 5 seconds of each other - when our waiter approached the table and noticed he muttered the "F" word (i kid you not) and stormed off. By his reaction, I assumed he was going to chastise someone but clearly I was wrong - we never saw him again the rest of the night until we had to get out of our seats, locate him and request our check to get the hell out of there as quickly as possible. WE had no drinks, no water, no bread (other tables did), no mayo for our fries (which they charge extra for!)... the entire meal. Shame too, because I was anxiously awaiting the opening of this place for months. The Hill has so few decent dining options. That said, I won't be back. It's easier to just drive across town like I always have. What a shame.

Posted by: jim | February 25, 2005 2:41 PM | Report abuse

What are some other good restaurants around Capitol Hill? We're planning on heading to D.C. in May and want to check out the restaurant scene down there.

-MH