Posted at 3:34 PM ET, 03/ 2/2005

Spy Lounge Closes After Fire

By washingtonpost.com

Offices above the Spy Lounge caught fire early this morning, causing extensive damage to trendy Adams Morgan nightspot. Owner Alan Popovsky says the most serious damage occured at the front of the building, where part of the ceiling collapsed.

"I was told it's going to be closed for at least three months," says Popovsky, who also owns the neighboring Felix Lounge. "I'm going to look on the bright side. If I can get it open earlier, I will. "

Felix, which was closed for several weeks in late 2004 for an extensive minimalist makeover, was not damaged in the blaze, and Popovsky says he expects it to remain open for business as usual.

-- Fritz

By washingtonpost.com  | March 2, 2005; 3:34 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: So Uncool
Next: Saturday Night's All Right

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

oh no. i just went a party there on sat night. it was such a great place!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 2, 2005 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear that. I recently met Popovsky - he's great to his customers - a rarity these days it seems.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2005 2:17 PM | Report abuse

That totally sucks, I really liked that place. And the Russian is so nice.

Posted by: Abby | March 3, 2005 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I am from the Washington area but now live in Minnesota and last year when I came home for a vist this was the place I hung out at and it was the most Fantistic place in Adams Morgan. I loved the Martini Menu and the music, I am really sorry to read about the fire and I hope the owner reopen soon. In time for my next vist

Posted by: Denise | March 4, 2005 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Sucks that this happened. At least the Felix is still open.

And on the bright side Popovsky will probably redo the Spy Lounge to make it better than ever.

Posted by: Marie | March 5, 2005 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE Felix and the Spy Lounge but most of all I love Alan- the owner. What a drag about the fire! I think we should all try to support him by going to Felix!

Posted by: Sarai | March 6, 2005 10:49 AM | Report abuse

felix was always the best place in adams morgan and i hope it will always be.

Posted by: haiba | March 10, 2005 6:40 PM | Report abuse

That really sucks, I loved hanging out at Spy Lounge. My favorite place in Adams after the closing of Grille 88.

Posted by: John | March 28, 2005 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Felix remains "HOT AND ON FIRE" in the best way and I look foward to many more cool, fun gatherings there no matter which door remains open at this time. Missing Spy Lounge will make coming back that much better!

Posted by: Adriana | March 28, 2005 4:23 PM | Report abuse