Posted at 12:45 PM ET, 03/18/2005

Summer's Taking Shape

By washingtonpost.com

The summer concert season is starting to take shape, as the two biggest surviving festival stalwarts - Ozzfest and Warped Tour - have announced their dates and lineups. The 10th anniversary edition of Ozzfest - the summer festival of choice for the non-ironic mullet crowd - will be headlined by Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, but will also feature some acts whose members don't get discounts at the movies, such as Killswitch Engage and Shadows Fall. In a very appropriate bit of target marketing the Hot Topic Second Stage will feature acts such as Rob Zombie, As I Lay Dying, The Haunted, Death of a Funeral, Arch Enemy, It Dies Today and The Black Dahlia Murder. Actually, that's not entirely true. I made one of those bands up. Try and guess which one!

The Vans Warped Tour - the summer festival of choice for the learner's permit crowd, and the undisputed king of target marketing - has such a strong brand with its audience that it doesn't need to rely on a single headliner to drive ticket sales. Instead, they throw about 60 punk/hardcore/emo/screamo bands on stage for half an hour each day and lets the kids sort them out. Along with the cheap tickets (usually around $30, compared to over $100 for the most expensive Ozzfest seats) and the customary extreme sports and video game attractions, it's everything that someone with no attention span could want. The most recognizable name performing this year is The Offspring - which says a lot - and they'll be joined by acts such as My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Every Other Tuesday, Something Corporate, Gym Class Heroes, Yesterdays Rising and Dillinger Escape Plan. Actually, that's not entirely true, again. I made another one of those bands up. Can you go two for two?

Ozzfest will come to town on July 24 and Warped Tour will follow on August 10 with ticket info to be announced in the coming weeks. Both tours will stop at Nissan Pavilion, though, so if you are planning on attending, you might want to leave now.

--David

By washingtonpost.com  | March 18, 2005; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Elephants on Parade
Next: See No Evil?

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

For fake bands, I'm guessing The Black Dahlia Murderer - unless the band's a big Ellroy fan - and Every Other Tuesday, which might have to battle with Til Tuesday over the name and should definitely cover "Every Day is Like Sunday" just for kicks.

Any word on the HFStival? I'm serious...

Posted by: Chaz | March 18, 2005 5:13 PM | Report abuse

David et al.,

Any word on the Mars Volta new album?
Intel shows selling well in Europe, where they recently toured.
Some of the already announced U.S. shows have soldout, any chance they'll be in DC-Balt area?

Chaz et al.,
I don't know much about the WHFStival, beyond that it is being organized.
Keep an ear to Baltimore's 105.7FM and an eye on www.live1057.com

Posted by: QnA | March 21, 2005 10:24 AM | Report abuse

It's gotta be "Death of a Funeral." That's too hilariously self-aware to be a metal band name.

Posted by: fake band | March 21, 2005 12:38 PM | Report abuse

WHFStival,
live 105.7 FM Baltimore, has as of Monday (3/21/05) begun running promos.

In short, signup at the radio stations website to get the inside track on tickets.

Also, apparently the where and when along with some the who will be performing will be officially announced on Monday, 3/28/05, at noon, on the radio station.

Posted by: QnA | March 21, 2005 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Ozzfest? Warped Tour? Is that it? Oh yeah and the perennially underwhelming HFStival. I suppose it's too much to ask for an east coast Glastonbury type of event? Especially after that fiasco up in New York when they moved the Field Day Festival to Giants Stadium, ugh!

Posted by: Ash | March 22, 2005 3:02 PM | Report abuse

It's true. Where's our SXSW? Coachella? Sasquatch? Goshdarn Bonnaroo?

Posted by: Chaz | March 22, 2005 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey there is a new theatre company just getting started in DC, Meat and Potato Theatre. Check out the blog for its first show http://infantrymonologues.blogspot.com
Great stuff about how to get a show and a company going!

Posted by: Lisa | March 27, 2005 12:49 AM | Report abuse

The Warped Tour is for posers. Punk, Emo, and all that other crap is a genre of noise, not music and it should of never of existed tobegin with!

Posted by: Comment Poster | May 23, 2005 5:16 AM | Report abuse

Comment Poster just called Avenged Sevenfold posers, crap, noise, and says they shouldn't exist...
I will be feverishly hunting him down to end his life.

Posted by: Bryan | June 3, 2005 5:22 PM | Report abuse

No I called Warped Tour for posers and described Punk and Emo as crap and noise you moron. By the way Avenged Sevenfold sucks too and good luck finding and killing me you'll need it because I'm not gonna be wasted by a simple-minded poser like you any time soon Bryan.

Posted by: Comment Poster | June 14, 2005 9:23 AM | Report abuse

i'd like to see you say that to the singer of Avenged Sevenfold. that dude is a beast, he could kill you with little to no effort.

Posted by: DICK | June 19, 2005 4:33 PM | Report abuse

If the singer of Avenged Sevenfold would stop having man on man love and quit polluting the music industry to come and see me personally, I would obliterate that pretty boy. He is no beast, but I am. I look like Zakk Wylde...enough said.

Posted by: Comment Poster | June 30, 2005 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you guys are cool, let's fight on the internet, btw quite a few bands on the warped tour are pretty good.

Posted by: Andy | July 1, 2005 3:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey Andy, If you want to fight then go to the ozzfest blog at brooklynvegan.com, there are more people to fight with there like me.

Posted by: Comment Poster | July 6, 2005 2:53 PM | Report abuse

They bands for the warped tour this year makes me want to puke. I'd only go there for The Unseen, Dropkick Murphys, and maybe The Offspring. But thats it, Avenged Sevenfold, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, etc etc all suck. As for Ozzfest, it's pretty neat this year to revist Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath, etc. As for Mudvayne, Wicked Wisdom, etc. I'm not interested at all. Finally, Ozzfest with no Shitknot.

Posted by: Disgust | August 1, 2005 3:06 AM | Report abuse

haha ur sad. you call people from warped tour posers because ur to scared to admit it for urself, im sure you can sing and play the guitar, go back to ur nursing home you old rock geezer

Posted by: some guy | August 15, 2005 3:17 AM | Report abuse

Gigantour anyone?

Yea.....no one knows about that one....

But it was awesome : )