Posted at 5:17 PM ET, 03/21/2005

The Other Basketball Tournament

By washingtonpost.com

If you're hungry for more college basketball and can't wait until Thursday's Sweet 16 games begin, consider heading to College Park on Wednesday night. The Maryland Terps (yes, they're still playing despite missing the Big Dance) are scheduled to take on the mighty Davidson College in a second-round game of the National Invitation Tournament at 8 at the Comcast Center.

All right, stop giggling. Sure, the NIT lacks the intensity and significance of the NCAA tournament (and, I'm hoping, it also lacks the nonstop barrage of television commercials starring Duke's Mike Krzyzewski). But it's the only way to see Maryland play right now. And the tickets are just $25, including parking, so it's an affordable way to see an evening of hoops. Can't make it to College Park? The Staying In Gurus -- the bizarro-world version of the Going Out Gurus -- tell me the match-up will be broadcast nationally on ESPN 2.

-- Jen

By washingtonpost.com  | March 21, 2005; 5:17 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: See No Evil?
Next: Mount Vernon, Square No Longer

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

OR ... if you're not a Maryland fan (some of us aren't) ... there's this other local team that's playing a NIT home game tonight. The Georgetown Hoyas are playing Cal State-Fullerton at McDonough Gymnasium on Georgetown's campus tonight at 7:00 PM - it's on ESPN (1!) and is the first nationally televised game from McDonough in 23 years. Forget the Turtle. Fear the Bulldog.

Posted by: Hoya Unemploya | March 22, 2005 8:18 AM | Report abuse

After noticing the name on the first comment, I have to say that if there were a blog called Hoya Unemploya, I'd read it all the time.

Posted by: Mike | March 22, 2005 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised at you! There IS a NCAA tournament game at Comcast this week - tonight in fact. The Maryland WOMEN play in the second round. Unlike the men's team, this team MADE the cut and WON their first round in the top tournament. They deserve fan support - and, certainly, at the VERY LEAST a plug from the apparently unplugged "Guru".

Posted by: True Terp Fan | March 22, 2005 1:03 PM | Report abuse

When I saw that the Gurus had written, "Yes, see the TERPS play," I thought, Praise the Lord! Somebody remembered that the women's Maryland team made the tourney again this year, and even won the first round to boot! But instead I read about... NIT? I'd rather watch the ladies play, much like I'd rather read you laud their stellar performance than plug a team that lost to Clemson... thrice.

Posted by: Cara | March 22, 2005 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to chime in and apologize for my oversight. I absolutely should have mentioned the Maryland women's team, but somehow spaced it when I wrote this blog post. I feel even more chagrined since they got knocked out of the tourney and I have no chance to redeem myself at a later date. Thanks, readers, for making sure that the female b-ballers got the respect they deserve.

Posted by: Jen the Guru | March 23, 2005 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post's love affair with the Terrapins has got to go. I swear I've read at least one article about them everyday for the past couple weeks in the Express. Show the Hoyas and GW some love.

Posted by: DC | March 24, 2005 4:19 PM | Report abuse