Posted at 1:14 PM ET, 04/ 7/2005

Late Night Grub Compendium

By washingtonpost.com

Before I begin, I'd like to make sure we're all operating from the same basic premise that "jumbo slice" pizza is unsavory, uncivilized and generally unwise.

Ok. Good.

So instead of our usual practice of giving you a nugget of info to do with what you wish, I figured I'd make this post a collaborative effort. Let's do a roll call of all the best places to refuel after a long night on the town. You've already spoken up here but I feel like this topic deserves a more exhaustive treatment, as anyone left ravenous after hours of dancing (or in need of something to balance out their alcohol intake) can attest to. This first cut is basically my personal cheat sheet, so it includes some of the Best Bets picks but also my favorite go-to players. You're encouraged to analyze, add on and expound.

24/7 (U Street)
Annie's Paramount Steak House
Au Pied Bistro
Amsterdam Falafel Shop
Barnside Diner (College Park)
Bistro Francais
Cravings (U Street)
DC Cafe
Duke's City
El Tamarindo
Georgetown Cafe
I.H.O.P. (can't leave out a veteran)
Julia's Empanadas
Kramerbooks
Moby Dick House of Kabob
Prince Cafe (Georgetown, College Park and Falls Church)
Plato's Diner
Roha (U Street)
Silver Diner
The Diner
Yum's

-- Rhome

By washingtonpost.com  | April 7, 2005; 1:14 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Woof' -- There It Is
Next: Is Anybody Hungry?

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Ben's?

Posted by: Mr. Fuji | April 7, 2005 3:45 PM | Report abuse

How about the 2 Bob and Edith's?

Posted by: aflapr | April 7, 2005 3:47 PM | Report abuse

What, no Mario's? The pizza is shaky, but the ham, steak, egg & cheese sub is money.

Posted by: lefty rules! | April 7, 2005 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Fuji called it. How could you leave out Ben's Chili Bowl and yet include Roha, 24/7, Duke's City and Cravings? Craving's isn't even open that late...and Duke City, well, Duke City would never be the first place I'd think of to "refuel".

Posted by: Reed | April 7, 2005 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Then again, perhaps I'm biased...I love jumbo slice pizza. I'm not sure why *you* wouldn't.

Posted by: Reed | April 7, 2005 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ben's is a BIG oversight. Not sure about the Georgetown Cafe, I've had a few to many scary experiences there. How about Quick Pita in Georgetown (if you must be in Georgetown) and Ambrosia in Rockville.

Oh, and leaving Tastee's off the list (while including Silver?!?! ew!) is just a crime.

Posted by: Cat | April 7, 2005 6:25 PM | Report abuse

And just because you've got me thinking about yummy night food, what about Cluck-U? They close at 2 Fri/Sat so they're not a super late option, but honey cluckerbees and nuclear wings are soooooo worthwhile.

Posted by: Cat | April 7, 2005 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Steak & Eggs -- on Wisconsin Ave in Tenleytown. You can't forget about Steak & Eggs!! This place is a true late night counter. Get the eggs and pancakes!

Posted by: Tenleytown | April 8, 2005 11:31 AM | Report abuse

julia's is the bes, hands down.

Posted by: min | April 8, 2005 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I will good-naturedly accept all bashing about Ben's. I love a good chiliburger sub as much as the next man, my omission was a simple goof, not an editorial call. As for Duke's City, there's something to be said for a simple stack of pancakes or a club sandwich at 3am, without having to wait in a drafty doorway and fight through a crush of people. And Cluck-U, yes indeed.

Posted by: Rhome | April 8, 2005 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Can't forget my favorite spot, Cubanos in Silver Spring, which reminds me, I need a mojito!

Posted by: Lemeyerlanski | April 8, 2005 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Kramerbooks drives me crazy because they won't seat you for coffee.

Posted by: reader | April 8, 2005 2:30 PM | Report abuse

There is a great place on GW's campus, called The Pita Pit. Great late night healthy and greasy pita sandwiches. Its a colonial favorite and they deliver.

Posted by: casey | April 8, 2005 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Fuddruckers on Conn Ave is open fairly late.

Posted by: lindsey | April 8, 2005 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Bistro Francais is a chi-chi finish to the evening. Open till 4 a.m. or at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday for their champagne brunch, either time its a respectable place to buy your oeufs norvegienne and be bellicose.

I second the nomination of Annie's Steakhouse. Nothing beats the "glass coffin"'s breakfast food after an evening of dance beats @ Cobalt.

Posted by: Jo$ | April 8, 2005 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I have to second Steak and Egg's in Tenleytown. As an AU alum i can speak for many great late nights spent there. Oz is the best.

Posted by: J | April 9, 2005 11:16 AM | Report abuse

id definitely take metro 29 over silver anyday... a late night manhatten roast beef sandwich is as good as is gets...

Posted by: T | April 11, 2005 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Can't believe that you would leave out Quick Pita in georgetown...hands down the best late night grub....

Posted by: S | April 11, 2005 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Joe's steak and eggs next to DC9. forshazel.

Posted by: POSER | April 11, 2005 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Romeo's Pizza on Wisconsin in upper Gtown/Glover Park is open late. I think they deliver until 3 am. Not the greatest pizza mind you, but at 3...

Posted by: Melissa | April 12, 2005 10:40 AM | Report abuse

This list only needs two restaurants.

Ben's
Steak & Egg

As pointed out, neither are on there. Bad, bad list.

Posted by: Mason | April 30, 2005 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Quick Pita would be nice if they didn't charge a $10 delivery fee for anywhere beyond N street.

Posted by: bbbi | September 24, 2005 8:26 PM | Report abuse

1. Steak & Egg on Wisconsin in Tenley

2. Fuddruckers (open until 4:30am on weekends) in midtown

3. The Diner in Adams Morgan

4. Five Guys in Adams Morgan

5. Did I mention Steak & Egg in Tenley? Seriously, this place rocks, especially when you can down outside.

Posted by: Rhagina Whett | November 17, 2005 10:52 AM | Report abuse