Posted at 1:14 PM ET, 04/14/2005

That's The Reason I'm a Wizards Fan

By washingtonpost.com

For anyone who gets the title reference to Wizards (well, technically, Bullets) jingles of the past, last night was an especially sweet evening. Because with their victory over the Chicago Bulls, the Washington Wizards - the sorry, no-account Washington Wizards, to borrow a phrase from Michael Wilbon - are playoff-bound. For most teams, this wouldn't be such a big deal. After all, the NBA is one of those leagues where over half the teams make the playoffs each year. But the Wizards haven't made the playoffs since 1997. They haven't actually won a playoff game since 1988. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here, and just enjoy the fact that MCI Center will be hosting its first ever postseason NBA contest.

It's been a rough few decades for Wizards fans. We've seen many of our players get fat (Ledell Eackles, John "Hot Plate" Williams, Rod Strickland), get arrested for drunk driving (Juwan Howard, Rod Strickland) and just generally disappoint (Chris Webber, Pervis Ellison, Mitch Richmond, Michael Jordan, Kwame Brown, Rod Strickland ... I think I'll stop there). It's been so bad that our most lovable player, gentle giant Gheorge Muresan, suffered a career-ending injury during the filming of an alleged comedy starring Billy Crystal.

But better times are upon us, with the loveable - if slightly insane - Gilbert Arenas, defensive whiz Larry Hughes and the workmanlike Antawn Jamison leading the way. Playoff tickets are available now, and even though the date, time and opponent are still up in the air, they are going fast, so get them while they're hot. And there are still two more chances to catch the Wiz at home during the regular season. I'll most certainly be in the nosebleeds, rooting them on at tomorrow night's pivotal battle against LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers, which has major home-court advantage implications. Home-court advantage implications? The Wizards? What's next, Washington gets a baseball team?

--David

By washingtonpost.com  | April 14, 2005; 1:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Seinfeld, Four
Next: Brother, Can You Spare A Nickel?

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

David, if you know of a site where I can get the lyrics or an mp3 of the "That's the reason I'm a Bullets fan" song, it would be much appreciated. I've been busting out that reference for years, and my non-DC friends think I'm crazy. It would be nice to prove to them that such a ridiculous jingle did, in fact, exist...

Who da man? Who da man?

Posted by: Matt | April 14, 2005 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I thought to myself, "If anyone would have this, it would undoubtedly be Wizznutzz." And sure enough, a little digging around on the site, and there it was. It doesn't sound like a full version, but oh, the memories it brings back. Enjoy.

Posted by: David | April 14, 2005 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I know the term "workmanlike" is technically complimentary, but I still think it sells Jamison short. He is versatile, tenacious, a quiet leader, and has some of the most fascinating footwork and offensive "moves" -- he seems to play almost entirely on instinct with the ball in the lane -- in the league. He's a real treat to watch.

Posted by: Smickies | April 15, 2005 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I've been a Bullets / Wiz season ticket holder since the Bernard King glory days of the Cap Centre...

I asked for and recieved a cassette copy of "Who Da Man" from La Sooz way back in 1996, i'd be glad to post an MP3 version of it somewhere but would need a little instruction...

JonDes@hotmail.com

Posted by: "Who Da Man" | April 15, 2005 4:40 PM | Report abuse

David-

You da man! You da man!

Thanks for the memories.

Posted by: Matt | April 17, 2005 6:01 PM | Report abuse

hey fannzzz, in celebration of the playoffs, check the wizznutzz site this week for a VERY SPECIAL MP3!!!!!

Posted by: darvin | April 21, 2005 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Why not use the money we saved to swap Kwame for Miami's Udonis? The Heat can't pay Udonis enough to hold him more than a year and they need a replacement for Shaq. A two-way sign-and-trade would get the Wiz an inside game, get Miami something for Udonis, and perhaps freeup enough cash to get a 2 guard with a draft choice.

Posted by: Frank | July 9, 2005 9:17 PM | Report abuse