Posted at 10:58 AM ET, 05/ 6/2005

Does 'Sith' Strike Out?

By washingtonpost.com

The Force is with "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" ... almost.

I saw a press screening this week and am pleased to report that "Sith" is better by far than the two most recent installments in the series, "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones." George Lucas knows he has a story to tell -- how Anakin transforms into Darth Vader -- and he sticks closely to the narrative, with less of the "C-Span in Space" plotlines that put me to sleep in the past.

There are still a few Skywalker snags: Awkward dialogue (particularly between Anakin and Padme), the obviously CGI Yoda (bring back the Muppet!) and acting that sometimes lapses into sleepwalking. But hardcore fans should have no trouble ignoring all that during the intense finale. Big props to Natalie Portman, who may make a few Comic Book Guys weep when she tearfully declares that Anakin is breaking her heart. And the best news of all: Jar Jar Binks doesn't say one word. Meesa like that.

If you're seeking more "Star Wars," head over to "Sith" Sense, the "Star Wars" blog I'll be hosting as we countdown to the big release date on May 19. And visit our special "Star Wars" package, which is filled with fun stories from The Post's archives, news about upcoming online discussions (two words: Boba Fett) and more. In other words, there's plenty for you to Chewie on.

-- Jen

By washingtonpost.com  | May 6, 2005; 10:58 AM ET
Categories:  Movies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On the Record
Next: Star Wars: Return of the Line

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I am relieved to read, especially from someone who works at the Washington Post, that George Lucas did not botch the movie I feel that he has always wanted to make - the decisive fall of Anakin to the dark side... and even more relieved to hear that Jar Jar Binks doesn't say a word.

Thank you for giving us fans some hope that the previous two installments won't repeat themselves too much in this movie. I must admit that I though Episode II was actually quite good - but I must concede as well that you Intergalactic C-Span comment does hit home with that movie. :)

Thanks again. Star Wars has always harbored so many ideas that I have taken and tried to create something original with in my own writings - but, the last two movies have been anything but inspiring... at least now I can look forward to the Revenge of the Sith.

//Lars

Posted by: Lars Garvey | May 8, 2005 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow... oops. 'Though' should have been 'thought' and 'you' should have contained an 'r' - thus 'your'.

It's still early in Sweden - I apologise. :)

//Lars

Posted by: Lars Garvey | May 8, 2005 7:29 AM | Report abuse

i don't have much to do at work so i read the script of sith yesterday afternoon. it seems a lot more action based than the previous prequels and the conflicts throughout the movie have a lot more to do with the characters' psychology than trade federation negotiations. however, a lot of the dialogue causes physical pain.

Posted by: joe | May 10, 2005 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Revenge of the Sith kicks butt! I saw it yesterday, and Anakin looks sooooooo cool! The fight sceane on the volcano has some of the best effects i've seen in my life! But, the diaologe drags

Posted by: Kanototashi | May 13, 2005 7:59 PM | Report abuse