Posted at 9:00 AM ET, 05/11/2005

Good Buys

By washingtonpost.com

Strolling along in Chevy Chase this weekend, I came across some too-good-to-miss shopping opportunities.

First, you don't have to spend a lot of dough to look like a milllion. Metallics are hot for this season, but you can easily get the gilt thing going with the Gap's totes in bronze, sea glass and silver from $39.50 for a small to $54 for a large. Small zippered clutches go for about $20 to $25. Make your feet sparkle for cheap with t-strap sandals in bronze, silver and gold, which sell for $24.50. Meanwhile, talk about gems,
Gap salesperson Nina was truly one. She helped me find what I was looking for and led me to items that were on sale, no less.

Not quite as much of a deal, but if you've always wanted to own a Kate Spade bag, a stop at Loehmann's is a must. Pretty printed canvas totes with turquoise handles are on sale at Loehmann's for less than $200, depending on size. Maxx New York handbags are also substantially reduced from their regular retail prices as are styles from Furla, Kenneth Cole and Coach, including a particularly fetching one in powder blue. But if you absolutely, positively must have the style of this very moment, don't expect to find it here.

On the home front, Pottery Barn's striped beach towels, table linens and outdoor pillows looked so clean and crisp, I wanted to rush right in and buy some for a quick pick-me-up for my back yard. But, alas, my expedition was over for the day. Next time.

-- Janet

By washingtonpost.com  | May 11, 2005; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Stones at MCI
Next: A Kingsbury Summer

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

this is the most banal piece of capitalist drivel i've read this year. seriously.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2005 1:24 PM | Report abuse

OK, here's why this post sucks: It's not because it's badly written; it isn't (in fact this is one of the few GOGBlog posts with an informative title). It's that it's a piece telling people essentially that you can buy clothes at the Gap and housewares at Pottery Barn. Duh. I have no problem with either place, but it takes about ZERO thought to decide to go there. In other words, the people actually gleaning information from this article must be living under a freakin' rock, and I can only assume are unable to operate a computer in order to read this site.

Janet: I'm cool with your mega-expensive jeans that other bloggers gave you sh*t for, but these constant articles about mainstream places are just seriously lacking. How about going somewhere NOT mainstream and telling us what places suck/don't suck? Granted, I don't buy a lot of women's fashions, but I can guarantee that EVERY person who does has been to the Gap already. I mean, what's next? Telling us about all the DVDs they have for sale at Best Buy?!!?!?

Posted by: Here's a Hint | May 12, 2005 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Leave Janet alone, she is the "guru" of shopping for the Post's entertainment chats & guide. (When you overthrowing, Janelle Erlichman Diamond or Robin Givhans, girl?). In other words, it's her vocation to discuss the buying and selling of goods. She's discussing purchases at various "price points." Is that enough to silence your criticism?

I don't see you performing half naked outside of the Corcoran as you shed your capitalist distractions (the PC on which you typed your poorly capitalized sentence, the blackberry you use to organize MoveOn.org meet ups, or the deoderant that must keep your incensed person from reeking from the small stuff you sweat). I imagine disdain for consumerism as the priviledge of those who grew up with excess goods--"PWT" like lil' ol me love to hear how I can look like a million by only buying a few glitzy pick-me-ups--and are now shedding their pampered skin in exchange for more bohemian bourgeoisie roots.

To paraphrase for the compliment-challenged, get over your yuppie-bred, ivy-tower, i-read-too-much-marxism guilt complex. Save your thesis on consumerism for grad school. If you have a legitimate criticism, try formulating it to either help the writer, e.g. "Janet, this sounds like InStyle copy...too much" or the reader, "You must be crazy to pay $50 for a bronze tote that I found at Payless for less."

Posted by: 0-ego | May 12, 2005 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Any word on when the Barney's is coming to Chevy Chase?

Posted by: Chevy Chase | May 13, 2005 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I disagree about Loehmann's -- the one in Falls Church at least. They have the styles of "this very moment" (along with those of that very moment, which are reduced more, as they should be). I have to admit that the one in Rockville is more TJ Maxxish, but you can almost always find some of the newest trends at the Falls Church store.

Posted by: a Loehmanns shopper | May 16, 2005 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Ok whatever. who even really cares. i'm so mad i actually read this post.

Posted by: Nunya | May 23, 2005 3:01 PM | Report abuse

This is cool, you have to try it. I guessed 68668, and this game guessed it! See it here - http://www.funbrain.com/guess/

Posted by: Allison Trump | November 14, 2005 12:39 PM | Report abuse