Posted at 12:43 PM ET, 06/30/2005

A Night at the Opry

By washingtonpost.com

Finding great country music on the radio in this town can be a chore. But every Sunday from 3 to 5 p.m. on 88.5 WAMU-FM, the brilliant Eddie Stubbs hosts two hours of classic country music. His program is a weekly seminar that any serious country fan should make a point of hearing.

Originally from Gaithersburg, Md., Stubbs moved to Nashville a decade ago and soon became one of the announcers for the Grand Ole Opry. He's held that position ever since; on Friday, he'll host the Opry's appearance at Wolf Trap's Filene Center. Performers for the evening include Ricky Skaggs, Patty Loveless, the Del McCoury Band, Riders in the Sky and young, old-timey country upstarts Old Crow Medicine Show. That's a lineup any bluegrass and country fan can appreciate. And if you get a chance to talk to Eddie, thank him for putting together two excellent hours of country music on the radio every weekend.

-- Joe

By washingtonpost.com  | June 30, 2005; 12:43 PM ET
Categories:  Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Dogged Cat
Next: Red River Keeps On Flowin'

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

thanks for the tip -- i just moved out here and have had a tough time finding good radio. i'll listen in; thanks!

Posted by: candace | July 2, 2005 10:56 AM | Report abuse

While I enjoyed Ricky Skaggs and Patty Loveless at Wolf Trap last night, I did not appreciate Eddie Stubbs hugging the show with his excessive ads. His self promotion turned me off.

Posted by: miminaguib | July 2, 2005 11:35 AM | Report abuse

thanks for letting me know about your station even though i may not can get it here in Colorado, is there a way I can make a request to a dear friend who lives there?

Posted by: dianne | July 2, 2005 6:28 PM | Report abuse