Posted at 1:00 PM ET, 06/16/2005

Hungry yet?

By Erin

After several delays, it appears that the fifth Summer Restaurant Week -- or Affordable Extravagance, as I like to call it -- is finally set for Aug. 1 through 7. More than 90 D.C. area restaurants, including 1789, Corduroy, DC Coast and Zola, will offer three-course lunches for $20.05 and dinners for $30.05. For those financially strapped foodies, this is the perfect opportunity to try out fabulous restaurants at great prices.

Restaurant Week regulars: We'd love to hear your recommendations, gripes, past experiences and hopes for this go-round. Feel free to post your comments below.

Tip: Many of these eateries take reservations up to two months in advance, so pull out those calendars and get busy!

-- Erin

By Erin  | June 16, 2005; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Time for Fort Reno
Next: NV Fridays Jumps Ship

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

During the last summer season, I went to the Willard and had an awful experience. We were treated like undesired, second class citizens. If the Willard doesn't want to participate, they simply should not. They certainly don't understand the spirit of Rest. Wk.

Posted by: Julie | June 16, 2005 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Last time I went to Corduroy and loved it. Great food, and they treated us well, even though we weren't a well-behaved 8-person group. (Some of us were on time and the rest arrived in staggered shifts, which I'm sure is very annoying for the wait staff -- but they were still really nice (at least to our faces).)

Posted by: dracisk | June 16, 2005 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Last summer went to Ceiba and you had your pick of all of their entrees as your main course as opposed to the 3-5 choices many restaurants give you.

Posted by: Graham | June 17, 2005 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Had an amazing time at 1789 last time. The staff was wonderful, the food delightful, and best of all, no one treated us any differently than the regulars. I just hope I can get a seat this time around!

Posted by: Bunny | June 20, 2005 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I second the 1789 recommendation ... food was tasty (though not remarkable) but the service was stellar!

Posted by: Z | June 20, 2005 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Red Sage treated us terribly. But Corduroy, Ceiba, I Ricchi, and New Heights have all done a great job in years past! Corduroy has some of the best food in town and they do RW right.

Posted by: jlm | June 21, 2005 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Very poor selection at Sesto Senso when I went there for dinner during the winter Restaurant Week. The restaurant was horribly dim and the tiramisu was soggy!

Posted by: anon | June 22, 2005 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Where is a link to the actual list of participating restaurants? None of the links provided in this post take you to anything useful. (Including the link in the WaPo "review" of Restaurant Week.)

Posted by: thing | June 22, 2005 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Ceiba, Ceiba, Ceiba--other than the below-normal prices, you won't realize that it is Restaurant Week (i.e., you get to choose from the whole menu).

Posted by: Lizzie | June 22, 2005 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I too would highly recommend Corduroy and Ceiba. I've been to both during past restaurant weeks, and both the food and service were great. I love the restaurants that let you choose from the entire menu, which both of those restaurants do. DC Coast provided another satisfying RW experience. I would NOT recommend Cafe Mozu in the Mandarin Oriental. I've only been there once during RW this past winter -- service was spotty and the tiny portions were the epitomy of the gourmet restaurant cliche (a little scoop of risotto on one side of the plate, a couple of tofu cubes and parsley on the other side, with a vast expanse of white porcelain in between). They food was very tasty, but I wanted more of it. I don't know if the portion size was because of RW or if they're always like that, but we devoured the bread on the table to try to fill ourselves up. Afterwards, I wished I had just gone out for pizza.

Posted by: foodie | June 24, 2005 12:35 PM | Report abuse

What's with the website (http://www.washington.org/restaurantwk/) reporting restaurant week is Jul26-Aug1? Which is it??

Posted by: Jason | June 25, 2005 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The link you are referred to on most of the Google sites is the 2004 home page, which should really screw up the works for the participating restaurants and foodies.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 27, 2005 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Went to Cafe Atlantico last time and it was wonderful - food was great, and service was good. I would go back.

Posted by: SMM | July 28, 2005 5:19 PM | Report abuse

The website to refer to for Restaurant Week is www.restaurantweekdc.com.

This lists all restaurants participating. If you are getting an old page with old dates, you may want to hit refresh or clear your cache in your browser.

Posted by: anon | July 28, 2005 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Have been to Ten Penh for RW and its outstanding -- food and service. You get the pick of the menu for entrees. Last RW I tried out Rosa Mexicana which was just an okay experience. I love Mexican food but their RW menu choices didn't represent the restaurant well.

Posted by: SRH | July 28, 2005 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Highly recommend 1789. We were there last year. The food was great. The waiting staff was superb! We enjoyed the whole experience. We'd recommend it to anyone. Go there, if you want good old-fashioned service and fresh food.

Posted by: Jenny | July 28, 2005 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Tosca Ristorante on F Street was another superb choice for restaurant week in the past; they had if not the entire menu to select from, then an enormous number of dishes and after tasting most, I can say I had a marvelous lunch and dinner.

Vidalia is another restaurant with a more limited but wonderful selection at lunch; have not been there for dinner.

Posted by: Penny | July 29, 2005 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Hi, I was looking for a good steakhouse, anyone been to Blackies?

Posted by: Kay | July 29, 2005 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if either of these venues is included in this RW -- we had a great meal when we went to Les Halles, but our dinner at B. Smith's was pretty disappointing. The menu selection wasn't representative of the cuisine, and the food, while acceptable, didn't make us want to go back!

Posted by: pollosmoky | July 29, 2005 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Palmer is a great steakhouse and you might want to check them out during restaurant week when they will have a three-course menu for lunch.

Les Halles also has a terrific hanger steak; it has more flavor than say a filet mignon, more like a rib eye steak, but is not as tender. It is participating in Restaurant Week this time around. If you want the entire list go to www.ramw.org.
Just saw that Signatures is offering almost its entire menu during restaurant week as is Andale.

Posted by: Penny | July 30, 2005 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Finemondo was ok. They didn't offer their whole menu...I thought the choices were a bit limited. I ordered the octopus with fava beans for my appetizer...the portion was pretty dinky...the octopus (tentacle parts) tasted a little more rubbery than other octopus I've eaten before, but the vinegarette sauce that accompanied the octopus was pretty tasty. I ordered the filet mignon (6oz) for my entree. The waiter admitted that the protion they were serving for restaurant week was smaller than their regular price portions (8-10oz). The filet came out already cut up. I say, if you're gonna eat a piece of steak, it always taste better when you cut it up yourself when you're ready to eat to keep the meat from drying out. For dessert you only get 2 choices...an assortment of sorbets (3 flavors) or the hazelnut cake...their deserts were pretty good. During my dining experience, I noticed that the waiters/waitresses were a bit too loud among themselves...one waitress was bossing a waiter around, telling him what he needed to be doing, right next to me....which gave a bad image of their wait staff. Plus I didn't feel like they were that professional and attentive to their customers. I'd say you probably save $5-10 bucks during restaurant week compared to paying the regular prices for the same meal...but you pay for that saving on your alcoholic beverages anyway. Ratings in my opinion...3 1/2 out of 5 stars for taste and overall experience 2 /1/2 out of 5 stars.

Posted by: Iron Chef Nick | August 4, 2005 1:39 PM | Report abuse