Posted at 2:45 PM ET, 06/ 3/2005

State of the Union Pub

By washingtonpost.com

I kind of scooped myself in the chat yesterday, but Capitol Hill favorite Red River Grill is reopening on June 27. For years, interns and staffers flocked to the Mass. Ave watering hole to sip red-white-and-blue frozen margaritas on the spacious front patio, or down dirt-cheap beers and Tex-Mex food at happy hour. Nebraska alumni made it their home during college football seasons.

But owner Matt Weiss and his partners shuttered the place last New Year's Eve, promising a fresh new look -- the bar was getting kind of tired -- and an updated concept. The new incarnation is called the Union Pub and Weiss says it will keep some of Red River's most popular features, like the happy hour specials, while upgrading others. Instead of just offering a selection of frozen margaritas, for example, the new menu will include about 15 different frozen drinks. A new draft system boasts 10 taps. Weiss says the interior has been reconfigured for "clean lines" and redecorated to get rid of the western motif.

As long as I can get a cold beer on the patio after work, I'll be happy.

-- Fritz

By washingtonpost.com  | June 3, 2005; 2:45 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hey DJ, Play That Song
Next: Melt Your Heart

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Yeah! Any idea what kind of cheap eats they might offer?

Posted by: Jill | June 6, 2005 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Hope it's run better than it was before.

Posted by: john | June 22, 2005 12:23 PM | Report abuse

....that's my old stomping ground. They better not have messed with the nachos. They had some of the best in D.C.

Viva La RRG!!!

Posted by: I can't wait.... | June 27, 2005 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone been since it's been reopened?

Posted by: ? | June 30, 2005 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I was there last night. $2 beers and friendly service. Great wings.

Posted by: Eric | July 12, 2005 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Compared to the old RRG - Union Pub margaritas - cost more and a sad state of affair.

Bring back the old margaritas!!!!

Posted by: Connie | August 10, 2005 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Any idea if the new Union Pub is still home for Nebraska fans on college game day?

Posted by: Katy | September 7, 2005 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Union Pub is much better than before. RRG was a dive compared to U.P. The food is pretty good and the staff are pleasant.

Posted by: Scott | October 11, 2005 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I've been three times. The first two times the food was terrible and the staff was untrained and unconcerned. The last time I tried to go they weren't open even though it was during their operating hours. I don't think there is any reason to return.

Posted by: Phil | January 31, 2006 12:28 PM | Report abuse