Posted at 12:35 PM ET, 08/ 9/2005

It Must Be Love

By Fritz Hahn

After August 28, Dream, the popular megaclub that's played host to Beyonce, the Roots and Bill Clinton, will be no more.

Ladies and gentlemen, get ready for Love.

"We want it to be something new," explains Gloria Nauden, Dream's -- er, Love's -- marketing director.

In the fast-changing world of nightclubs, where trends come and go at a relentless pace, Dream has remained relatively stable since opening in late 2000. While that's been a reason for the club's success, it's also where the problems lie.

"We haven't changed the furniture, the lighting fixtures or the carpet in five years," Nauden explains. "We're just trying to maintain our place at the top of the game. We want [Love] to be like the Ritz-Carlton. "

Dream will remain open Thursday through Saturday, though the club's usual lineup of live hip-hop and R&B will be suspended while work takes place. Renovations are being made "gradually, so that we never close down completely," Nauden says. "We'll be changing over a couple of weeks, switching out furniture, the lighting, redoing the front entrance. And then we're relaunching, reinvented."

The grand reopening for Love's Urban Fridays, which draws a large African American crowd, is Aug. 26. The international night, focusing on hip-hop, house and Latin and Persian rhythms, makes its bow the following night.

-- Fritz

By Fritz Hahn  | August 9, 2005; 12:35 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Most Obscene Movie Ever?
Next: Please Enjoy

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

"Love" or "Dream", I couldn't care less for this club. It's always overcrowded and pretentious, not to mention expensive, and the neighborhood is crappy. The crowd is unpleasant, too.

Posted by: issr | August 10, 2005 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Quite the contrary. I find Dream to be consistent in a good way. One of the great things is that, as a 30+ year old who still likes to go out a lot, I don't feel like the oldest person in the room, as I have at almost all of the other nightclubs I've been to in the City - Five, 1223, Pearl, Avenue, Air/Breeze, etc. Dream has enough space so that different kinds of people can come and do their thing. So I don't have to be stuck with the young-crowd or the buck-wild-crowd. I can go to the floor with the laid back-mature-dancing to R&B-crowd .

Posted by: Cin | August 11, 2005 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I hope that the new name pulls in a older more mature crowd. Note to the ladies let's try dancing with the guys that treat you with respect. Ladies dancing with ladies is old. The new name "Love" has some meaning to it, I believe.

Posted by: rn | August 11, 2005 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Everybody knows about DREAM! People come from miles away to get the DREAM experience. Changing the name to LOVE is corny and non-creative. "Come on ya'll let's go to LOVE" just doesn't sound right when you say it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2005 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Darryl, I will definitely agree with you on that.
Changes, changes, changes because some people at the door think dream is for them and they treat us like ****, I won't list any names though but the names you mentioned sound about right except you're missing a couple

Posted by: Arturo | August 17, 2005 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Everyone at the door ( stuff member) handling money entrance should treat evryone the same or just leave... a lots of injustice.New stuff will be nice since it's a new name. Security wise dream is fine, money handlers at the door are not cool at all.

Posted by: Eternel Pulse | August 17, 2005 11:56 AM | Report abuse

the people at the door are fine and fair....lets be real..just because you can't get in that way...u all are crying about it.....come on now....

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2005 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Some people can get in that way and some other cannot and everyone want to party and spend their money, you call that fair?
Please....you don't know what you're talking about, there are a lot of assholes at the door.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2005 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I stop going to Dream because of that Tony, Christian,and some other nasty people at the Door, these people should be fired

Posted by: Samuel | August 18, 2005 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Why ask us to put a comment when you taking it off afterwards, I am unhappy with Christian's attitude and I am asking Mark to fire him and now my comment was deleted, come on folks!!!!!!

Posted by: Darryl McEntire | August 18, 2005 9:20 AM | Report abuse