Posted at 12:41 PM ET, 08/ 3/2005

Last Night Was Shaking (and Pretty Loud)

By Fritz Hahn

Last night, I sang "Rock You Like a Hurricane" in the middle of a crowded bar.

I am not ashamed.

There's not as much karaoke in Washington as I'd expect, so any new singalong event is welcome. But the Reef's new "Glam Metal Karaoke" night takes it to another level. Expect an evening of Ratt, Warrant, Tesla, Guns N' Roses, Faster Pussycat, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, Black Sabbath, the Scorpions, Lita Ford and Poison (poorly represented by the mediocre power ballad "Every Rose Has Its Thorn). Throw in $2 pints of Miller High Life and $5 Grey Goose Vodka drinks, and Glam Metal Karaoke sounds like a winner.

(Non-headbangers are welcome, too; more than 2,000 songs are listed in the looseleaf binders, including the usual assortment of Duran Duran, Madonna and C&C Music Factory.)

Until recently, Tuesday nights were the domain of DJs Eurok and Orbit122. But when they took their funky mix of house, Latin, hip-hop and soul to Wonderland, the Reef needed to do something to fill the ground-level Lush bar. Judging by last night's crowd, they've succeeded. Arrive early to sign up for songs; the list fills fast and no repeats are allowed.

-- Fritz

By Fritz Hahn  | August 3, 2005; 12:41 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hungry for Some Deals?
Next: The Sad and Beautiful World of Jim Jarmusch

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

dragonfly just started doing rocknroll on Tuesdays too. No karoake, but dope Rock n Roll fa sho'. Everything from GnR to the Black Keys to Le Tigre and louis XIV.

Posted by: freshdipt | August 3, 2005 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Why must everything a complete stranger does but has the forum to advertise make me wish I were you or with you?

I hate karaoke, and privately rejoice in the statement "there's not as much karaoke as I'd expect" but you write it with such appeal. I could learn to love it. There is such a thing as the karaoke girlfriend cheering on the sidelines and rolling eyes heavenward for true love's second act performance of "Thriller." ;)

Posted by: i'drockyoulikeahurricane | August 4, 2005 11:15 AM | Report abuse

karaoke was too funny at the reef last tuesday. if you're out and about on a tues, i highly recommend it.

Posted by: dc | August 8, 2005 1:10 PM | Report abuse

So whatever became of 'indie karaoke'? I never went, but I haven't seen any news about it. Is it still going or did it fade to grey? The wannabe indiekid inside me wants to know. Cheers!

Posted by: Ash | August 10, 2005 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Hy PEOPLE!!!I'm from Croatia and I just want say this:SLASH RULZ!!He is the best guitar player ever,I hope that Iwill play guitar like he,becoause I'm 12 and a half years old and I play guitar 3 years!!!Kiss to SLASH!!!

Posted by: Andrea | September 11, 2005 10:23 AM | Report abuse