Posted at 7:22 AM ET, 08/30/2005

Snap to It

By Erin

Two weeks ago, I was running along the C&O Canal in Georgetown when I discovered Snap, a bubble tea house and creperie in a converted townhouse on Thomas Jefferson St. behind Barnes & Noble. I was lured in by the promise of a quick beverage, but stuck around to taste both the sweet and savory crepes and rest at one of the plastic tables in the courtyard out back.

Until now, tea-lovers could get their fix of bubble tea -- an iced, sweetened tea with blueberry-sized tapioca balls on the bottom -- at Teaism (black milk tea under the name Zhenzhou Pearls), Wok & Roll and Cozy Cafe. Bubble tea is typically prepared with sweetened black milk tea, but can be flavored with any number of syrups and powders. It's definitely an acquired taste, but once you've tried it, the drink is addictive. The Thai and green teas are my favorites for their milder flavors. Meanwhile, Snap's coffee latte, the non-tea bubble offering, tastes deliciously like a bottled frappuccino. I'm not a fan of flavorings, but two girls in line ahead of me raved about the natural tasting mango.

The menu is broken into savory and sweet crepes. Savory options include several egg-based breakfast selections and more adventurous choices, such as spicy thai tuna and chicken guacamole. The spicy chicken satay was a little heavy on the peanut sauce and could use more chicken. The ratatouille filling, an occasional special and my favorite choice, is filled with mildly spiced fresh summer vegetables. The sweet crepes are a Nutella-lover's dream. The Nutella crepe with peanut butter tasted like a melted gourmet Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, while the mint chocolate-chip was simply scrumptious. The chestnut spread makes for a good non-chocolate bet; the owner recommends lemon curd, but I've yet to try it. You also have the option to create your own fillings using a variety of toppings, such as dulce de leche, banana or condensed milk.

Words of warning: Crepes stick to their paper plates, so it's best to order them wrapped in to-go foil. Also, the back patio is very quaint, but it's snack central for ants, so keep an eye on any food you don't want consumed by the critters. Other than that, the food is prepared quickly, the service is friendly and almost everything tastes delicious.

Well, so much for using the canal path to get fit. Now it's just my route to crepe-happiness.

--Erin

By Erin  | August 30, 2005; 7:22 AM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Last of the Summer Movies
Next: Doin' It In the Park

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Yay! Finally a blurb about bubble tea! Do they have a variety of flavors? And is the tea more on the watery side or the milk-shakey side? Thanks, Erin!

Posted by: holly | August 30, 2005 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I tried this place, and while the crepes were yummy, the bubble tea left much to be desired. The flavor of my mango tea wasn't very strong at all, and the tapioca balls were mushy and got stuck in my straw.

Posted by: caj | September 1, 2005 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I went in to get a late lunch there the other day, only to watch the woman who was making my crepe put bits food into her mouth with her fingers. When she actually licked her fingers clean then took my crepe off the griddle with those same fingers, I asked for my money back. Won't be going there for lunch again any time soon.

Posted by: andie | September 2, 2005 4:11 PM | Report abuse

To get a good cup of bubble tea, try Green Tea Cafe in Rockville. www.greenteacafe.com

Posted by: Jay | September 6, 2005 11:25 AM | Report abuse

does anyone know when the billy goat tavern at 500 new jersey is going to open? i saw they had a grand opening on monday night, but it doesn't 'look' open.

Posted by: gayle | September 22, 2005 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I found out about Snap while walking along Thomas Jefferson St, and I'm so glad I did! I go back for lunch as often as I can get out of the office, and the servers have been very kind (they even remember me when I go there!). The crepes are delicious, and the bubble tea is great. I highly recommend Snap.

Posted by: Jane | September 26, 2005 9:28 PM | Report abuse

My husband and I love stopping by for a crepe after the movies.

Posted by: Lisa | October 24, 2005 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I am a Cumberland native and as such I grew up near the canal. I wasn't quite walking distance, and when I was younger it was certaintly far enought that the mother would not have me riding the bike. Now that I'm older and out of the house though I enjoy spending time along the canal (both biking and walking). I enjoyed your pic's and thought every one might be interested in the page I just put up at http://www.wigfield.org/canal/ . These are pictures taken along the canal in the Cumberland area.

Posted by: Brandon Wigfield | December 9, 2005 9:11 PM | Report abuse