Posted at 2:01 PM ET, 09/ 7/2005

Movie Blog Post Part 2: Fall Films Boogaloo

By Jen Chaney

Last week I took a look back at the summer movie season. Now it's time to look forward to fall.

As usual, the autumn leaves and crisp temperatures bring a slate of more serious films (read: Oscar contenders) to theaters. Many sound intriguing, but here are a few that I am most anxious to see.

"Elizabethtown": I never miss a Cameron Crowe film, whether it's great ("Say Anything") or, um, not so much ("Vanilla Sky"). Even if this one turns out to be a colossal failure, at least I can look at Orlando Bloom for a couple of hours.

"Jarhead": I can't say I'm a huge fan of war movies. But this one, about the Gulf War, is directed by Sam Mendes ("American Beauty") and boasts an impressive cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper and Peter Sarsgaard.

"Walk the Line": It's a movie about Johnny Cash. That means "Ring of Fire" has to be on the soundtrack. Even without the participation of Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, that's worth the price of admission.

"Rent": I know, I know, the whole "Rent" phenomenon has gotten pretty tired. But I still have a soft spot for this musical and am very curious to see how it translates to the big screen. The fact that Chris Columbus -- who sucked all of the magic from the first two "Harry Potter" movies -- is directing makes me wary. But the cast consists of many of the stars from the original Broadway production. And that makes me eager to revisit "La Vie Boheme."

"King Kong": Peter Jackson is the director. A massive ape is the star. Enough said.

"Munich": I still can't believe Steven Spielberg can turn around this movie about the hostage crisis at the 1972 Olympics in time for its December release date. At this point, I'm as curious about whether Spielberg makes his deadline as I am about the film itself.

Of course, I've only skimmed the cinematic surface. In the coming days, the Post's fall arts preview -- which will include a full list of all the season's theatrical releases -- will debut in print and online. Then you can comb through and highlight the movies that most excite you. In the meantime, let us know what you're itching to see by posting comments below.

-- Jen

By Jen Chaney  | September 7, 2005; 2:01 PM ET
Categories:  Movies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adams Morgan Summerslam
Next: Short? Sweet!

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Hey Jen, I know you (or one of the GOGs) had mentioned in an earlier chat that 2046 is being shown in DC soon. I was wondering if you had any updates on that, such as when and at which theaters? Thanks a bunch!

Posted by: DC reader | September 7, 2005 11:46 PM | Report abuse

2046: Starts Friday, September 9 at the Bethesda Row Cinema

Posted by: han | September 8, 2005 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Thumbsucker, an independent film. It releases on 9/16. Any idea where it is showing, Jen?

Posted by: Jolly_SoLightly | September 9, 2005 11:21 AM | Report abuse

A response to Jolly SoLightly: "Thumbsucker" opens in limited release on Sept. 16. It doesn't debut in D.C. until Sept. 30; not sure where it will show as of yet.

Posted by: Jen | September 12, 2005 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cawcaw@yahoo.com | September 14, 2005 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Aww, c'mon. "King Kong" doesn't just star a massive ape, but also Adrien Brody, Naomi Watts, and Jack Black. I'm looking forward to this film more than any other.

Posted by: amm | September 20, 2005 4:57 PM | Report abuse