Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 09/ 2/2005

Vienna or Bust

By Anne Kenderdine

I was tooling around Vienna this week with my recently married friend, when she decided we had to visit Trousseau, an independent lingerie/bridal accessories shop that was the source of her special wedding accoutrements. (At first, I was wary: This is a friend who also owns Jeff Costa's Strip Tease Cardio Workout: Volumes 1 and 2.)

I took in the entire wall of bras, noted the "Just Married" flipflops and then was drawn to a celadon silk negligee with a ribboned corset-style bodice. As I flipped the price tag ($220), a man at the counter started telling me about the place. Turned out he's Michael Wiener, who since 1999 has owned the store with his wife, Sarah. She custom makes all the tiaras and veils, and they offer free alterations for any garments sold there. Lingerie comes from 75 manufacturers, and Sarah and manager Natalie Ortiz are known for expert bra sizing; our colleagues at Express (PDF: see page 35) found that Trousseau bested Nordstrom and Victoria's Secret in three undercover fittings.

Once you determine the perfect size, Trousseau can record it for safekeeping. Through Michael's Club, the store can save a wish list of items, as well as a record of brands you like, colors you don't and whether you're hoping for a gift on, say, Mother's Day or your birthday. So if you're angling for a certain unmentionable, it's that much easier to give your significant other a nudge in the direction of the Vienna Plaza strip mall. (Psst, next to the Dairy Queen.)

Oprah recently held a bra intervention and declared that every woman should have a bra that fits properly. In addition to Trousseau, what other local stores excel in bra sizing or lingerie sales? Add a comment to this post and share your suggestions.

-- Anne

By Anne Kenderdine  | September 2, 2005; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Katrina Relief
Next: Adams Morgan Summerslam

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I completely agree with Oprah and Anne on this one. Bras are sooo important when it comes to sizing. Even if you were sized a few years ago, getting re sized may make a difference in comfort and also eliminate that bothersome strap falling down problem. You bra size may change due to weight loss or gain, "that" time of the month, or a pregnancy. Once you have gotten a fitting (I've found many places such as VS are just fine) you can go online and find good bargains or hard to find items there. I especially like www.barenecessities.com for my bras, since I've got a bigger chest and sometimes have a hard time finding my size.

Posted by: Loves2shop | September 2, 2005 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The Dor-Ne Corset Shop, once of the 900 block of F St, now on Georgia Ave in Silver Spring, is a wonderful place. They do a great job with fittings and they will do alterations.

Posted by: Petworth | September 2, 2005 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Anne

Intimates were part of the August 4th Got Plans discussion (did you miss it?).

Mistress Janet and Co. mentioned Trousseau, Underwraps, Coup De Foudre and others.

Posted by: j | September 5, 2005 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Coup de Foudre Lingerie is having a bra fitting seminar this Saturday, October 1. Might be worth checking out!

Posted by: Amy | September 26, 2005 3:14 PM | Report abuse