Posted at 12:18 PM ET, 10/31/2005

Oh, the Horror

By Jen Chaney

Most bars, clubs and restaurants had their Halloween parties over the weekend, figuring that few revelers would want to dress up and go crazy on a school night, but there are still a few chances to dress up, head out and win cash and prizes tonight. At the Hard Rock Cafe, for example, the Led Zeppelin tribute band Kashmir performs a free, all-ages show at 10 p.m. (doors open at 9). The restaurant also is giving away $500 during its costume contest. Georgetown's annual street parade will bring costumed ghouls from all over; we suggest escaping the barricades and clogged sidewalks with a trip to Modern, where Blk Ceaza spins hip-hop and old school, and women are admitted free before midnight.

Have a fantastic outfit? Coyote Ugly is giving away a trip to Las Vegas for the best costume. The Reef offers $250 in prizes for the best-dressed patrons (though the bartenders' X-Men costumes are hard to top), and the new Uptown Tavern -- which we blogged about on Friday -- offers $3 shooters and a DJ after 9. There's no cover for any of those events. Of course, if you have a few beverages -- or (prepare for the requisite Halloween pun) "boo-verages" --  don't forget to take advantage of SoberRide's free taxi service.

-- Fritz

For those seeking even more ways to distract themselves from work, join today's horror movies discussion, already in progress.

Speaking of horror movies, the poorly reviewed, gory "Saw II" was the No. 1 movie at the box office this weekend. Apparently around Halloween time, people take their scares anywhere they can get them.

Personally, I'm planning to spend at least part of my evening watching Turner Classic Movies, which is airing the film that most freaked me out as a child: "Poltergeist." Is there a child of the '80s who didn't accidentally end up seeing this movie because "E.T." was sold out, only to suffer from months of trauma afterward? Of course, now I can watch it without wanting to crawl underneath my seat. But back then, it was the most terrifying thing I'd ever laid my 10-year-old eyes on. Children really shouldn't see movies where evil clown dolls come to life and try to kill people. It's just not a good idea.

So what was the movie that scared you most growing up? "The Exorcist"? "Night of the Living Dead"? "Mannequin," starring Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall? (The theme from that last one, Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now," still gives me the chills.) Post a (Halloween alliteration alert!) creepy comment and let us know.

-- Jen

By Jen Chaney  | October 31, 2005; 12:18 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Walk in the Cleveland Park
Next: Get Your Light On

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Prizzy's Honor - my folks for some reason took my sister and me to see that after Church one Sunday and the image of Kathleen Turner pinned to the wall like a biology beetle gave me nightmares ever after.

Posted by: Moo | October 31, 2005 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Poltergeist was scary...but the B-Movie "Basketcase" made me skip bedtime for at least a month. Truth be told, I don't even think I could watch it now.

Posted by: KrisDC | October 31, 2005 3:38 PM | Report abuse

The Omen really scared me when I was a kid. I wish they made movies today that would scare me like that.

Posted by: jeninmd | November 1, 2005 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Poltergeist...but it was the old man who played the crazy preacher that freaks me out to this day. I had nightmares about him more than once. Ugh.

Posted by: Megan | November 1, 2005 12:55 PM | Report abuse

The exorcist for sure. Growing up here, being Catholic and knowing the areas where it was filmed made it that much worse and that much more real.

Posted by: JP | November 1, 2005 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Cujo. I saw it when I was little, and am still edgy around dogs to this day.

Posted by: chb | November 3, 2005 8:33 AM | Report abuse

One word: Silkwood. The showers, the scrubbing, the sirens. To this day, still terrifying.

Posted by: acs | November 3, 2005 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Poltergeist old preacher guy:

"God is in... his holy tem...ple"

*twisted sneer*