Posted at 1:12 PM ET, 10/24/2005

'Visiting' Hours

By Jen Chaney

We first reported on the filming of Nicole Kidman's "The Visiting" -- also starring the new Bond, James Bond, Daniel Craig -- last month after the press conference announcing the crew's arrival in Washington. As part of our ongoing Kidman Watch, Fritz reports that Connecticut Ave. in Cleveland Park will be closed for most of the day tomorrow, with the west side curb lane shut down between Tilden and Macomb streets from 6 to 9 a.m., and the eastern side between Devonshire Place and Porter Street closed from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Kidman and co. also were spotted earlier today in the Foggy Bottom area. Special guest blogger Maura Judkis filed the following eye-witness account (that sounds so 10 'O Clock News, doesn't it?):

Pushing my way through the crowd at the Foggy Bottom Metro station can be a daunting task any day, but today it was especially difficult. With all of the movie cameras, extras and crew members, a sizeable throng of onlookers had gathered to view cinema in the making, right in my path. Now I know what it must feel like to live in L.A.

"The Visiting" features a scene at the I Street Mall next to the GW Hospital., among other spots in the District. That's where the crew was filming today.

Kidman and Craig did several takes of a scene that involved chatting and walking to the hospital, all while fog machines created the illusion that this was a colder day. GW students and onlookers snapped pictures and stood on their toes for a glance at the star. Between takes, she disappeared  --  likely into a nearby building or van to avoid the throngs of fans.

I'm hoping that no one will need serious medical attention this afternoon, because it seemed like half of the GW Hospital's employees were on the set, either watching or participating. Many were hired on the spot as extras, to walk or sit in the background.

-- Maura

And the Kidman Watch continues ... did you walk by the film set today, like Maura, or will you be heading out to Cleveland Park tomorrow? Have you spotted Craig or Kidman out on the town? Post a comment and let us know. Remember: We can't blog about celebrity spotting until someone spots a celebrity. And that's one to grow on.

-- Jen

By Jen Chaney  | October 24, 2005; 1:12 PM ET
Categories:  Movies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: You on U2
Next: Trick-or-Pumpkin-Pie-Martini

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Hey, was going to work today, Tuesday, and saw all the film crews setting up in Cleveland Park (I live on Ordway Street). There must have been at least 75 people in ponchos and parkas with lanyards and walkie-talkies milling about. I didn't see any stars, but I'm sure they are filming right now. There were folks all over Ordway Street, in the Cleveland Park Metro. California Tortilla was open (it seemed) to allow the crew to have a staging area out of the rain (no food was being served).

This was all at 8:20am; it's now 8:50am, so they're probably still there.

Posted by: Ted K | October 25, 2005 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Closing the west (southbound?) lane of Connecticut Avenue during rush hour? For a MOVIE??? What are these people thinking???

Posted by: Duh | October 25, 2005 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Duh | October 25, 2005 9:09 AM | Report abuse

But...but, they're MOVIE STARS!!! The world must come to a halt and all of us little regular folk must stop and stare in awe of the incredible celebs.

Who cares about traffic and people trying to get to their jobs - it's a MOVIE!

Posted by: PLC | October 25, 2005 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Please, stop whining. The movie stars didn't call for the streets to be halted, the people who govern Washington know how much they will earn by getting the movie to film there. If you want to yak about filming then call the officials, the movie stars involved have very little say on when and what time they are allowed to film. Filming a movie is also work, the people working onset weren't just twiddling their fingers, they were earning a living (your job is no more important than theirs and considering that what they do bring in millions of dollars in revenue, I'd say you might as well suck it up and move to your corner) and if you feel "little", no one has made you feel that way. Stop feeling inferior, mate!

Posted by: Amy | October 25, 2005 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Coming back from lunch on Monday, I saw Kidman and crew filming a motorcade scene near Dupont Circle. The director was perched on a special bench on the bed of a pickup truck, with a camera mounted on the rear of the truck. The camera was shooting directly into a light blue Mercedes SUV, which Kidman was pretending to drive. In addition to Kidman's car, there were a couple of police cars, black SUVs, and limousines as part of the motorcade. They drove in a circle up 18th Street, down Connecticut, and back over to 18th Street several times.

Kidman looked totally bored the whole time. Every time they stopped on 18th Street, she looked like she was trying not to fall asleep.

Posted by: Mark | October 25, 2005 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I took the day off yesterday because I was pretty sick. Entering Cleveland Park metro, I happened to notice about 3 thousand extras standing around and film equipment everywhere. I wasn't wearing my contacts but needless to say, there was this very tall, very thin, pale skinned woman being filmed. I totally couldn't tell at the time, but it HAD to have been Nicole Kidman. They filmed her running down the stairs at the metro and entering a train (some guy in a headset came over and demanded that all the average metro riders move down the platform out of the camera shot, and then shouted "rolling"). I shared (momentarily) a train with Nicole Kidman. FYI, she's wearing a very short blond bob wig, which made me believe at the time that she was some B list actress. But, all the pieces put together, it was definitely her. No one on the train reconginzed her...

Posted by: Angie | October 26, 2005 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know any future filming spots? dates? times?

Posted by: mgs | October 26, 2005 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Is this the same movie that's operating out of the K St parking lot on the river? Must be, since it's so close to GW, but all the signs say Oliver. (the director's name?) Anyway, they have a nice food spreas, cooking every tiem I ride my bike by!

Posted by: Gtown | October 26, 2005 4:10 PM | Report abuse

They were filming today in Georgetown outside of Johnny Rocket's. Nicole Kidman was dressed very Washington professional - trenchcoat over black kneelength skirt, black hose and white sneakers (ugh). She was leaning against the wall looking bored, and I saw her shoot one scene - she stepped forward to the street and tried to hail a cab. Traffic was backed up all the way down M St for that, as was sidewalk traffic. They had to "control the scene" so only approved extras walked by at the right time.
Still, I love seeing movies really set in DC instead of the stock footage of the Capitol building or White House.

Posted by: Chrissy | October 26, 2005 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I stumbled into Daniel Craig yesterday in Dean & Deluca in G-town. He was hanging by the cashiers waiting for something. At the time I didn't know they are filming a movie in the city, so I figured it can't be him. Nobody seemed to pay much attention to him over there.

Posted by: someone | October 27, 2005 12:00 AM | Report abuse

The woman in the wig is Nicole Kidman's body double. I saw her and Nicole over on M street the other day drinking coffee before a shot. Either way the hair looks blech.

Has anyone seen Jeremy Northam? He's supposed to be in this movie to according to IMDB.

Posted by: meso | October 27, 2005 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I work in Georgetown, so seeing a movie being filmed there with such a huge movie star as Nicole Kidman was pretty exciting. I was able to stand behind a baricade, right in front of the scence being filmed. Nicole was crossing Wisconsin Ave (with lots of extras) along the M Street where she would come up to a phone booth and grab the phone. Her expression seemed scared, nervous. After the phone call she would rush around the corner of the building. She definitely looks stunning in person with luminous skin. I was able to take some photos which I am sure that I will email to all my friends..

Posted by: Kate S.L. | October 30, 2005 6:32 AM | Report abuse

They were filming at Union Station today around 3:30-4 p.m. Had to run in to pick up an Amtrak ticket. Tons of extras standing outside, all dressed in dark coats with luggage. No sign of Nicole, but everyone all waiting for someone---or something---to happen . . . .

Posted by: Kare | November 6, 2005 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, there was definitely filming at Union Station today around 3:30ish. I had to go through the mall area to get to the metro, as the entire front section outside of the station was blocked off. Didn't see Nicole though!

Posted by: Chandlia J. | November 6, 2005 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Kate S, I'd love to see your pics of Nicole crossing M&Wisc on the 30th of October. I may be in those shots, and being an extra, couldn't take any photos myself. I was pretty close to NicKid in a few scenes.

Just got home tonight after all day shoot.

Posted by: Kate the Visiting Extra | November 13, 2005 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Nicole Kidman was the Loews Theater in Georgetown at roughly 4:15 on 11/13

Posted by: KM | November 13, 2005 10:06 PM | Report abuse

They were filming last night (11-13) on Mass. Ave at one of the embassies near sheridan circle. There was a crew of about 200 people milling around as well as cranes shooting out fake rain on the embassy facade as they filmed a scene of Kidman getting out of the car in the rain. I guess they were filming a party scene inside as well....

Posted by: dani | November 14, 2005 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I have been trying to catch a glimpse of filming, but to no avail. Does anyone know where they will be filming in the next few days or over the weekend?

Posted by: jenn | November 14, 2005 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where this film is being shot on Tuesday and Wednesday - Nov 15 and 16?

Posted by: Sean | November 15, 2005 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I was an extra on the set

Posted by: Daniel Ferro | November 16, 2005 12:52 PM | Report abuse