Posted at 1:28 PM ET, 10/21/2005

You on U2

By Jen Chaney

By now, you may have read J. Freedom du Lac's review of Wednesday night's U2 concert.

Now it's your turn to play pop music critic: What did you think of the U2 shows at MCI Center? If you attended both, which rocked harder? Any songs you wish they had played but didn't? Did you sit next to Condi Rice? Post your comments below and keep that post-concert conversation flowing.

Since I know you're all just DYING to know what I think, I really enjoyed both shows. But I think last night's was slightly more enthralling. Maybe it's because my seats were better. Or maybe it's because I was so pleasantly surprised to hear set-list shockers "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" and "Bad."

Having said that, I was a little disappointed that the members of the band didn't interact more. It would have been great to see them gather at the tip of the ellipse like they did during their "Elevation" tour. Nevertheless, U2 once again proved that it's one of the few bands really worth seeing in an arena setting. As I told my friend last night while we were heading home, if U2 played the MCI Center daily and it weren't so freakin' expensive, I'd be there every night of the week.

-- Jen

By Jen Chaney  | October 21, 2005; 1:28 PM ET
Categories:  Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: October in D.C.
Next: 'Visiting' Hours

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I attended only last night's concert, but saw them on their first leg in Philly. My seats were astronomically better this time around, which contributed enormously to my giddyness over the show. I will say that it was one of the best stadium concerts I've ever seen.

My only gripe was their choice of notes to end on. Instead of the lovely "40" which ended the show in Philly, and many others this tour, they chose to end with "Bad". Bono tried to get the crowd to chant along with the title line from Patty Smith's "People Have the Power" but it just didn't catch on like "how long to sing this song" does. In Philly, people were still singing the line all the way down the street after the show.

Posted by: Lesley | October 21, 2005 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Show was amazing. I had GA tickets and was just on the outside of the circle. They played a great mix of the new album, their next to newest album and old favorites. I have yet to hear Angel of Harlem live though.
The opening scene of Bono just rising out of the crowd was great. They are a great band to see live. A good combo of stage show, rock stars and of course amazing music.

Posted by: Suzanne | October 21, 2005 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I saw them GA in Philly on the first leg and remember them playing a lot more Achtung Baby than on the 19th, and they met at the tip of the ellipse for the encore, which was really cool. On the 19th I had spectacular seats, which gave the show a different experience from GA. I would have loved to of seen Electrical Storm live, since it came out after the Elevation tour, but oh well. That minor griping aside it was a mesmerizing show and I loved the energy of it. I wish I could have gone again on Thursday.

Posted by: Liz | October 21, 2005 5:48 PM | Report abuse

It was very special to hear Electric Co and I Will Follow on Wed. night -- two great songs from the Good Ole Days. 40 at the end was nice because it was the same song they ended on when I first saw U2 twenty years ago. They should play Bad every night. It is easily one of their top five songs. I too would go see them everynight if I could afford it. Adam Clayton looked bored out of his mind during Bono's (many) political speeches. Priceless.

Posted by: Rob | October 22, 2005 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I was there on Wednesday and was pleased to hear them end with "40" -- I hadn't heard them play it since my first U2 concert in 1987 at JFK stadium in Philly when the crowd sang "how long to sing this song" all the way out to the parking lot. Wish I could have been there for "Bad" on Thursday, though I did get to hear it on the last tour (first time I'd heard it live). Their energy on Wed. was amazing, a fabulous night.

Posted by: Cat | October 23, 2005 11:32 PM | Report abuse

There's no one better out there... let's hope they don't wait another four years before making it back to DC!

Posted by: divegirl | October 24, 2005 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I was right outside the ellipse - in front of the center of the ramp - for the Wednesday show and enjoyed myself immensely. Though I wish there was some more interaction with the fans by the band, having each member of the group make it once around the ellipse at least once in the show was pretty cool. And the opening - Bono rising up on to the ellipse right in front of me - was surreal. Definitely something I won't ever forget . . .

(And they ended with 40, thankfully - I can't imagine ending with Bad. One of my favorites, but not a concert-ender. But I'm disappointed I missed Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - another favorite.)

For pics from Wednesday night, feel free to check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/pkthedj/sets/1178058/

Posted by: PK | October 24, 2005 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I got to see Thursday's show thanks to the GOG's tip about late release tix on Ticketmaster. THANX!!!!!!!!! The show was awesome, I got front row seats in section 113. I had basically the same seats in Philly a few months back, and I can definitely say that the show in DC this past Thursday was wayyyy better! Whereas Adam looked bored in Philly, he was really rocking out in DC. LOVE U2!

Posted by: k8isgr8 | October 24, 2005 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I was at both philly and dc shows....of course the philly shows were stronger---it's a rock and roll city ! any suprise that the real "best" live performer ever-Bruce Springsteen- appeared onstage during the encore with Bono ? plus, philly fans know the words to the songs...

Posted by: Greg | October 25, 2005 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I was at both DC shows...I think the Thursday show was the better one out of the two. They played Out of Control which is my most favorite U2 song to hear live. The energy was a bit better at Thursday's show but I think for me that had to be because I was able to see the show from inside the Elipse...if you are lucky enough to get in it is an amazing experience!!! I was hoping that Bono would sing the extra verse to With or Without you but no such luck.

Posted by: Paola | October 26, 2005 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I saw the Thursday night show and it was AMAZING! It was was the best way to ring in my 30th birthday!

Posted by: Chari | October 27, 2005 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I was at Thursday nights show and was blown away. I loved reading everyone's comments about the many shows they have seen. This was my FIRST and can understand why eveyone has seen so many. I had amazing seats close to Rice. Never jammed with the secret service before. Drove all the way from Chesapeake, VA to see the show and it was worth every single minute.

Posted by: Donna | October 28, 2005 11:43 PM | Report abuse