Giving Thanks For Thanksgiving
It's almost Thanksgiving ... can't you already taste the Pepto-Bismol you'll have to swallow after gorging yourself on mashed potatoes, gravy and pumpkin pie? Mmm ... that's indigestion-licious!
By now you probably already have your plans set. (11 a.m.: Sit on couch. 1 p.m.: Shift positions. 3 p.m.: Eat massive dinner. 4 p.m.: Return to couch.) But just in case you're looking for things to do, remember that our holiday guide can provide some assistance.
In the spirit of the occasion, we Gurus have compiled a list (see below) of our favorite things about Thanksgiving Day. We hope you'll share it with your loved ones tomorrow, at a moment when no one's arguing about exactly who was responsible for failing to turn on the oven.
Yours in Gluttony,
The Gurus' Favorite Thanksgiving Things
1. Getting all '70s retro at the dinner table by constantly referring to the roasted, basted bird as a jive turkey. Example: "Can I carve anyone another slice of jive turkey?"
2. Making garlic mashed potatoes with my sister, then indulging in a two-to-three hour food coma courtesy of two Thanksgiving dinners -- one at my parents' house, the other at my boyfriend's parents' house. (Courtesy of Julia)
3. Replenishing my Tupperware collection after folks send their hapless bachelor friend (me) home with leftovers. (Courtesy of Rhome)
4. After she's been spent half the day making a huge meal, asking my mother, "How come we can't just have popcorn like Charlie Brown?"
5. Continuing my decade-long streak of never once catching the ball during my friends' annual "Toilet Bowl" touch-football game.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
The comments to this entry are closed.