Posted at 5:23 PM ET, 11/21/2005

Mos Def Appearing as Advertised

By

One of the 9:30 club's most anticipated shows of the year -- and that's saying a lot -- is scheduled to go on as advertised, despite rumors to the contrary. Mos Def and Talib Kweli -- two of hip-hop's brightest stars, who teamed together as Black Star for one perfect album back in 1998 -- are back together for the Breed Love Odyssey tour. At least they were. Then they weren't. But they will be again for sold-out shows on Friday and Saturday, according to 9:30 club owner Seth Hurwitz.

The blockbuster tour kicked off Oct. 28 in Sacramento, but barely a week into the venture, headliner Mos Def pulled out for the good old, reliable "personal reasons." Even without the headliner the tour continued, and with top lyricists Pharoahe Monch and Jean Grae sharing the bill with Kweli, there was still more than enough talent for a great evening of music. But D.C. seems to have lucked out, as Mos Def is slated to appear at both 9:30 shows. Rumors that state otherwise are running rampant on message boards all over the Internet, but 9:30 club owner Seth Hurwitz -- who seems a bit more reliable than, say, TwiceInnaLifetime82 on these matters -- says the show is happening as advertised, even if he couldn't give it the 100% guarantee.

"Well, it was supposed to be 100% when I first booked it," Hurwitz said in an e-mail Monday afternoon. "Point being that 100% in show business is relative. But I am told he is definitely doing it. This from the same people that didn't have any trouble telling me when he wasn't, so they have not been ones to sugarcoat it." Hurwitz stated that the personal issues that caused Mos Def to drop off the tour are now resolved.

Other rumors about the show -- started by Hurwitz himself on his club's message board -- seemed to indicate that De La Soul and Lauryn Hill were being considered as possible replacements for Mos Def when it still appeared that he would not be playing. But with Mos Def back, Hurwitz states that "no other performers have been added at this time." A little open-ended to be sure, but what would this show be without even more rumors?

--David

By  | November 21, 2005; 5:23 PM ET
Categories:  Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Imaxing Out
Next: Giving Thanks For Thanksgiving

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

What a relief. I was hearbroken when I heard the initial report. I hope he does show up.

Posted by: NT | November 22, 2005 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Mos Def and Talib Kweli will put on a great show for you. I went to a Black Star concert in Philly at the Electric Factory where Mos and Kweli reunited...it was awesome. Your in for a treat. www.terecico.typepad.com

Posted by: Terecico | November 24, 2005 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Well?? Did he show? I'm planning on buyin tickets for the philly date, but only if Mos performs. If anyone attended Sat or Fri nite please let me know how it was. Thanks.

Posted by: Ron O'niel | November 27, 2005 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Mos did show up. I missed Jean Grae's set but she made appearances later on (black star serenaded her with brown skin lady for her bday). pharoahe was fire. talib was a little hoarse but his set got better towards the middle and end. Mos's art was lovely as always, but to be honest I've seen him do better shows. the rhythm and the timing of his set were off, too many pregnant pauses, anti-climatic ending, etc. But his wit and lyrics and true sense of joy made up for it. See the show.

Posted by: NT | November 27, 2005 4:15 PM | Report abuse