Posted at 11:25 AM ET, 12/19/2005

A Nightclub Where Your Job Is Your Credit

By Fritz Hahn

An easy way to pick a fight with the Going Out Gurus: Ask which local television commercial has the better theme song. Is it Shoe City ("It's your city / It's my city / It's our city / It's Shoe City") or Easterns Motors ("At Easterns Motors / Your job's your credit!")? While Shoe City has better dancers, the latter features members of the Redskins and Wizards hanging out in a used car lot as well as a catchier refrain. Rumor has it that WPGC listeners have actually called the station to request the commercial, as if it were the latest Mike Jones or Three Six Mafia joint.

Local DJ Jessie Tittsworth, who founded the long-running hip-hop party Krunk, loved the jingle so much that he remixed it for his latest EP of Baltimore Club tracks, utilizing those synthesized Spaghetti-western horns and the lines "Fords, Hondas, Chevys, Beemers / and minivans!" chopped and repeated over speaker-rattling bass and a thumping electronic beat. (You can hear a lo-fi clip here -- it's track 3.)

Tittsworth originally created his remix without permission, so it came as a surprise when company officials heard the song and, instead of issuing a cease-and-desist order, asked him for autographed copies of the record and offered to sponsor an official Easterns Motors party.

That party takes place this Wednesday on the tented, heated rooftop patio at Five. Tittsworth says the party "should be bananas" and expects appearances by the company's president, free T-shirts and other promotional goodies. (We can't guarantee that you'll see Lavar Arrington, Clinton Portis or Carmelo Anthony in the DJ booth, bobbing their heads and lip-synching along, but we can dream.)

There's a $10 cover and no dress code. Doors open at 9.

-- Fritz

By Fritz Hahn  | December 19, 2005; 11:25 AM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Give It Up
Next: The Week Will Prevail

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

the obvious answer is neither eastern motors OR Shoe City - it's "fitness made simple" with that weirdly skinny muscley guy - "it's john basedow/he's gonna show you how/to reach your potential..."

Posted by: stefanie | December 20, 2005 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Tittsworth. You are truly the Warhol of car commercials.
May I kindly request a Manny & Olga's acid house drum and bass remix? You know, they deliver very late.

Posted by: DJ Marvin von Pickles aka MC Esher aka themarkpike | December 21, 2005 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I also think the Senate Auto Insurance spots are worth mentioning. "Tell those other insurance companies to 'kiss my bumper. Just kiss it...'"

Posted by: Aziz | December 21, 2005 3:40 PM | Report abuse

John Basedow is not local.

Senate Insurance's "Kiss My Bumper" is a slogan, not a theme song.

Posted by: Duh | December 22, 2005 12:15 AM | Report abuse

IMHO, an Honorable Mention to the Big Foot big-n-tall store's fake TV News spots. An actual song or not, there *is* something awful melodic (emphasis where you like) when the actress says; "Oooh! He's going to Big Foot's!"

And BTW, here's the full lyrics that run around and around thru my head at least once per late-night:

He's John Basedow,
He's gonna show you how,
To reach your potential,
And turn your, whole life around!
It's Fitness Made Simple! (unh-hunh!)
Made for real people! (ooh yeah!)
It's changing real lives!

(Somebody kill me)

Posted by: Simpleton Max | January 3, 2006 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I love the fitness-made simple commercial song! I can't seem to get the song out fo my head! John Basedown really knows how to make a good commercial! I don't think that the genral motors one can compare.

Posted by: jackie | April 26, 2006 5:35 PM | Report abuse

i would just like to say that John Basedow is my hero--and so is his song. This song doesn't get 'stuck' in my head--i choose to sing it because it has a nice melody--good beat--and is very inspirational. Because of that song i no have less fa and more chisel and my belly only goes up and down 5 times when i jiggle it. Now--who could say that they've acheived that without this song?--nobody--thats who!

Posted by: realpersonwhoreachedtheirpotential | April 26, 2006 5:40 PM | Report abuse

anybody know where i can download john basedow's fitness made simple song? thats right, i want to download it so back off!

Posted by: andy | September 20, 2006 10:15 PM | Report abuse