Posted at 1:10 PM ET, 01/ 6/2006

Erin's Flash-Forward Food

By Erin

We're only a few days into the new year, but the city is buzzing with restaurant rumors, openings and ideas. Without further ado, things for which I ready my fork:

The crew of Buck's Fishing & Camping will take a swing at a Ping Pong-themed restaurant serving New Haven-style pizza. In the space of the former Thai Room next door, the place will cater to familes with a basic menu of neo-Neapolitan thin-crust pies, salads and ice cream. Originally slated to open in the fall, I hope to be sinking my teeth into some quality pizza by next month.

I cross my fingers that Ray's: The Classics opens sometime soon. In Silver Spring's former Crisfield's space, Michael Landrum's new baby will do seafood and American cuisine in addition to the excellent steaks that keep masses returning to Ray's The Steaks. Michael Hartzer, a chef at Michel Richard Citronelle, will don the chef's hat.

Speaking of Michel Richard, he plans to open Central by Michel Richard sometime this summer. It will be his version of classic American food and a departure from his current whimsical fare, but I bet he'll still have a few tricks up his sleeve.

Geoff Tracy of Chef Geoff's will offer his take on Italian food at Lia's Restaurant in Chevy Chase. The new spot will feature a spacious patio and a pizza oven.

The secretive Lima, next to DC Coast, should open in the very near future. I figured that its opening would mean great Peruvian pisco sours, but this particular Lima refers to the Spanish word for lime. It will feature Latin American food (think ceviche and fish dishes) from Raynold Mendizabal, formerly of Pesce. The space will be split into three levels, including one for the dining room, a bar/lounge and a hipper lounge with its own menu.

The most interesting culinary concept of the year so far comes from Agraria Restaurant, set to open sometime in late spring in Georgetown's already hopping Washington Harbour. Fittingly, the menu will focus on seasonal American fare using products from family farmers. Paul Morello, formerly of Les Halles, will man the kitchen. The restaurant, located behind Tony & Joe's, is owned in part by hundreds of farmers and the North Dakota Famers Union. Its motto: "From our fields to your table." The Georgetown restaurant is the first in the group's long-term plan to educate (or brainwash?) diners about family farms.

Robert Wiedmaier, the chef and owner of Marcel's, has his sights set on Beck's, his upcoming Belgian and French restaurant that is slated to open downtown at the end of 2006. As Tom Sietsema mentioned in his Weekly Dish, Marcel's is named for Wiedmaier's oldest son, while Beck's will be a tribute to his younger boy. The traditional cuisine sounds like it will hit the spot with hearty, mid-winter dishes.

Also on my radar: CakeLove in Silver Spring; wherever Ris Lacoste plans to set up shop; and the new sister of Indique, Chevy Chase's Indique Heights.

--Erin

By Erin  | January 6, 2006; 1:10 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lighters Down
Next: Fritz's Edumacated Guesses

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I'm thrilled to hear about the new "New Haven-style" pizza place at Conn. and Neb. Aves, but New Haven features thin, not thick, crusts. I hope you're just mistaken that the new place is a thick-crust joint.

Posted by: New Haven Pizza Lover | January 6, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

You're right, NHPL. My draft post thoughtfully read "think-crust," so it was haphazardly changed to read thick. New Haven-style pizza is thin crust and that's what you'll get.

Posted by: Erin | January 6, 2006 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Can you tell us where each of these restaurants will be in Chevy Chase? They will be welcome additions to the neighborhood!

Posted by: Ch Ch Foodie | January 7, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Re: above post: I was asking about Lia's and Indique Heights. Thanks!

Posted by: Ch Ch Foodie | January 7, 2006 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Sure thing: Indique Heights will be at 2 Wisconsin Circle, next to Friendship Heights at the intersection of Western Ave. and Wisconsin. Lia's will be just a block away at 4445 Willard Ave.

Posted by: Erin | January 9, 2006 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Erin:

Any idea when Lia and Indique Heights are scheduled to open?

Posted by: CC resident | January 11, 2006 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Erin
If meeting the people who raise my food is brainwashing, I will bring my dirty mind to Agraria!

Posted by: consumer of food | January 13, 2006 7:45 PM | Report abuse

A really great restaurant for Northern DC and Md foodies is Sydney on the Square in East Berlin [Rte 194] just East of Gettysburg, PA. Owned and cheffed by a former NYC whiz who wanted to escape the big city and serve food on his terms not someone else's, this is a new place well worth the drive. Lunch Tu - F; dinner Tu - Sa; and brunch on Su.
This is a discovery waiting to happen!

Posted by: Wm | January 16, 2006 1:04 AM | Report abuse