Posted at 3:06 PM ET, 04/ 5/2006

Where Are They Now?

By Julia Beizer

If you're asking about random musical acts from the '80s and '90s, the answer is "In D.C., this summer." Why is it that bands you haven't heard about in 10-15 years get up and tour once the spring/summer concert season begins?

I mean, take MC Hammer. I thought the Hammer sort of called it quits a few years after, um, "Too Legit To Quit," but apparently the man who will never live down the parachute pants is poised for a comeback. Earlier this year, he started a blog and later this month, he's set to perform at the Show Place Arena with MC Lyte, Whodini, Kool Moe Dee and Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh (who are also perhaps one of rap's best duos of all time). I'm sure they'll all come with new material, but don't we all just want to hear the hits? Anyone who says they don't know at least a few of the words to "U Can't Touch This" is lying.

Also, let us now consider Eddie Money. According to the Money Man's Web site, he released a new album in February. You mean you didn't pre-order a copy through Amazon? Oh that's right, you couldn't have. The Money Man's CD is only available through cdbaby.com. Seems the rocker is trying to get back to a simpler time -- a time without record labels who could drop him like Columbia did in the mid-'90s. You can try to sell me on the new stuff, Eddie, but my heart will always belong to "Take Me Home Tonight." If the Post review from Money's 2005 show in D.C. is any indication of what's to come, this show is not to be missed so pick up your "Two Tickets to Paradise" today.

And there are others: Pearl Jam, New Edition's show with K-Ci and Jo-Jo and the New Jack Swing Reunion Tour (featuring Tony Toni Tone and Blackstreet). These performers haven't been totally inactive over the years, but even so, thinking of these guys on stage is like reliving a middle school dance. If I had my way, Eazy-E and Nirvana would be there to join them too.

So if you could pick one musician from back in the day to romp through D.C., who would it be?

--Julia

By Julia Beizer  | April 5, 2006; 3:06 PM ET
Categories:  Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Galileo's Star
Next: Capture the Castle

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Come on... Picking dead artists is such a cop-out. I want some Fu-Schnickens, I want the pre-religious Sunny Day Real Estate. I want Slint (wait, they did have a reunion last year, too bad I missed it).

Posted by: Chris in Hyattsville | April 5, 2006 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Hammer, Eddie Money, New Edition. OK. But are you really including Pearl Jam in that group? Last I checked they do a big tour every few years and play big, sold out venues. To say they are doing some reunion tour is a bit of a stretch. That being said, I'd like to see EPMD, because "they go ooh and ahh when I step from my car, people treat me like Kareem Abdul Jabbar."

Posted by: Tobias | April 6, 2006 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Yeah -- it was kind of a cop out, but you can't tell me you wouldn't want to see either of those people perform. Other ones -- I guess I'd have to be curious about what the Fine Young Cannibals are up to. I probably wouldn't really want to see them in concert, but seriously, what do those guys do now? I'd also like to see Young MC (because that was the first tape I ever bought) and probably Salt N Pepa, too. My first concert ever -- back in 1991 or 92 -- was S&P with R. Kelly. Rock on.

Pearl Jam -- I knew they were involved with the Vote for Change tour, but I had totally forgotten that they do tour on occasion. During my senior year of high school ('99), a friend of mine went on a first date to a Pearl Jam concert. So yeah, I guess they haven't been gone for good -- definitely a throw back, though.

Journey and Def Lepard rock out Nissan on July 7. Tickets go on sale tomorrow. Who's there?

Posted by: Julia | April 6, 2006 10:49 AM | Report abuse

i already got my wish when i saw Duran Duran at the Warner Theater in 2003. despite some technical problems, they rocked the house. played all the old hits, and played them BETTER than they had back in the day. had to be best comeback tour ever.

Posted by: jen m. | April 6, 2006 2:08 PM | Report abuse

When a worthy comment slips through the GoG live chats, you know you've gotta be "too legit to quit." Please permit me to share with the readership about this exciting Kenneth Cole Celebration benefiting RAINN. "Let Compassion RAINN" on all of this month as we commemorate Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

Tonight from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Kenneth Cole's Georgetown location is teaming up with the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) for a night of cocktails, shopping and hors d'oeuvres. Who can pass up the opportunity to buy this season's wedges or shades if you're helping to prevent sexual assault at the same time? Kenneth Cole is donating 20% of the proceeds directly to RAINN's programs, including the National Sexual Assault Hotline, 1-800-656-HOPE. Don't miss it!

Thursday, April 6, 5:00 to 9:00 pm, Kenneth Cole in
Georgetown, 1259 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Washington, DC

RSVP strongly encouraged --- 1-866-583-8607. It's not too late! Please pass this on to all of your DC-area friends. Thanks in advance! For more information, you can visit www.rainn.org.

Posted by: Jo | April 6, 2006 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Of all the 80s bands, Duran Duran truly survived. I've been to 7 of their shows between 1987-2004, the best show was definitely when they had all original members back this last time.

Posted by: Carly from portland, or | August 5, 2006 4:23 PM | Report abuse