Posted at 3:09 PM ET, 07/18/2006

The Full Scoop

By Erin

If there's one thing to love about the current weather, it's that it gives us a no-holds-barred pass to chill out with ice cream. So I went on an ice cream rampage, sampling the different options to find my favorite place to beat the heat. Here's what you'll find around town at local parlors:

Dolcezza, the delicious Argentine-style gelateria, has refreshing seasonal ice cream. White peach prosecco, yellow peach sorbetto, plum gelato, Mexican vanilla studded with Ranier cherry and my personal favorite, lip-smacking lemon basil sorbet, are among the choices. The lemon basil is garden-fresh with just the right amount of tang. It's almost guaranteed to cool you down.

Down the street, nab a cookie monster milkshake at Thomas Sweet. If you're watching your caloric intake, the ice cream shop has the best local supply of frozen yogurt, including a delicious peppermint that'll whisk you right to Christmastime.

Max's Best Ice Cream is always a good bet. Though I usually pile his homemade flavors onto a warm cookie, this trip was focused solely on ice cream. Right now, Max has a cinnamon-rich Mexican chocolate, classic mint chip, gingersnap and chocolate peanut butter (like a frozen Reese's peanut butter cup) to tempt my palate. The flavors change out pretty often, but it's honestly hard to go wrong here.

Mango, cinnamon and lemon ice creams and blood orange sorbet are among the current specials at the downtown location of Gifford's. You can have them made into an elaborate sundae, but I prefer stacking my Gifford's flavors into an old-fashioned cone.

The Dairy Godmother is magically conquering heat with coffee chocolate chip today and tomorrow. Thursday and Friday you can revel in the icy splendor of a frozen root beer float. Check out the long-range forecast here.

During dinner last night, I noticed that even Sushi Ko is getting into the ice cream groove with sake sorbet.

Down the road at Dean & Deluca, take advantage of authentic gelato or the refreshing vanilla blended coffee drink and fruit frappes.

Where have you been retreating for your icy treats?

--Erin

By Erin  | July 18, 2006; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Catching a Cinematic Chill
Next: Where the AC Blows Freely All Day

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

It's not in DC, but the Annapolis Ice Cream Company (www.annapolisicecream.com) makes amazing flavors - faves include apple pie ice cream (they bake apple pies, cool them, chop them up and mix them in the homemmade vanilla), oatmeal raisin cookie, brownie batter, raspberry chocolate chip... I could go on and on. It's worth the drive!

Posted by: mdsailor | July 18, 2006 10:59 PM | Report abuse

On Georgia Ave. in Silver Spring has the best tropical flavors - mango, guanabana, parcha.... Delicioso.

Posted by: York Castle | July 19, 2006 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, Erin, what are you doing to us??? I got through about half of this post--sitting in my cubicle-- before tears started rolling down my cheeks, just imagining all the glorious splendor described above. I have a fairly unscientific theory that after a certain point of mass caloric intake, your body can't keep up and the rest are freebies. As such, I think I might just attempt to sample everything mentioned on this page this weekend. Ice cream is the best.

Posted by: The Do-Gooder | July 21, 2006 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Erin, thanks so much for this... BF and I have been leaning a lot on the chains: Maggie Moo's, Ben and Jerry's, and Coldstone. They're OK, but either too sweet, too expensive, or too ... whatever. (I also don't like feeling compelled to get a mix-in because it's included in the base price.) We ALMOST went to Max's the other night but were just a little too stuffed with barbecue from Rockland's next door; promise not to make the same mistake again!

Posted by: reine de saba | July 24, 2006 10:43 PM | Report abuse

My faves are Thomas Sweet (be creative on your blend-ins; egg nog and heath bars are awesome!) and York Castle in Silver Spring, the place with the Guinness and Grape Nuts flavors.

Posted by: Bigg Al | July 25, 2006 5:08 PM | Report abuse