Posted at 1:04 PM ET, 07/21/2006

Week-lings Unveiled

By Erin

OMG! Restaurant Week participants have been announced and HARD ROCK CAFE is on the list!

There were a few interesting new additions to this year's list, but that one was the most jarring. But fear not: there is absolutely no reason to squander a precious meal on charred burgers and Lenny Kravitz memorabilia. With some careful vetting, Restaurant Week will get you a delightful summer meal at a fraction of the regular price. Several restaurants charge supplemental fees for more desirable dishes or narrow your choices down to a few, but the following places are generous with their menus.

I had a Restaurant Week extravaganza in January. Highlights of the week included dinner at DC Coast and lunch at Kinkead's. Though I'd pegged Kinkead's as stodgy and tired, the restaurant pleasantly surprised me with spicy and sinfully fresh seafood. This go-round, Kinkead's will offer lunch and dinner -- an opportunity I suggest you take advantage of. Notti Bianche had a limited menu, but a thoughtful array of wine pairings for a mere $10 extra.

Rasika was another stand-out. If you assemble a group of adventurous eaters, the Restaurant Week special is a reasonably priced way to sample a variety of the newcomer's best dishes (such as black cod and palak chaat). Other newcomers to the list include Indigo Landing, unlimited meats and salad at lunch for Fogo de Chao, Pinzimini and the not-yet-open Lia's (which opens on Monday for lunch and dinner).

As for things that catch my eye this time, Nora and Asia Nora appear on the list for the first time that I can remember. With its fairly pricey menu, Oya, which is new on the list, could be just the place to tackle when prices are capped at $30.06. I am taking a look at Bistro Bis for weekend brunch and its sister Vidalia for a dinner. So, the moral of this little Restaurant Week story is rock on, but don't get your Hard Rock on.

--Erin

By Erin  | July 21, 2006; 1:04 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fringe for the Eyes
Next: Puppets and Tales of Tails

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

DC Restaurant Week highlights why I could never live outside of a major metropolitan area. I am, at this moment, agonizing over narrowing it down to one lunch and one dinner!

I can't imagine life with having to decide between Outback, Ruby Tuesdays, and Applebees! (I've eaten at all three, they're great if you want a turkey club and a light beer. But not much more.)

Posted by: Wisecracking Tofumidget | July 26, 2006 2:09 PM | Report abuse

When you say "a delightful summer meal at a fraction of the regular price" - what fraction? Nine-tenths? My experience has been it saves you a few bucks, but it's no miracle discount.

Posted by: Michael Schade | July 27, 2006 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I have some recommendations from last year's restaurant week: Vidalia for lunch was amazing even with a large office group, as was Ceiba (especially the gazpacho), but I was disappointed with IndeBlue - servers were rude to RW patrons and the portions were tiny. I was lucky enough to sit in the Laboratorio del Galileo while Roberto Donna and his staff were practicing for the Iron Chef: am incredible night for only $30. Although the food was excellent and I would wholeheartedly recommend it, portions were small so eat a big lunch. Cheers!

Posted by: Lauren | July 27, 2006 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting to be a RW veteran (this will by my fifth!) and I still have yet to get to the reservations early enough to snag a seat at either of the top on my list to try - Galileo and Corduroy. But I am looking forward to all of the places I am going - Willow and 21P for dinner, and lunch at Dish.

My recommendations from past RWs would be Sette Bello in Arlington, Ardeo in Cleveland Park, and the underrated Sea Catch in Georgetown.

Posted by: Katie | August 9, 2006 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I was lucky enough to get in to Galileo for last summer's RW and wow it was good. I couldn't get into Corduroy either. Do they only set aside a certain number of seats? I'm heading out to Acadiana and very much looking forward to it. I think it's a great deal and I know how much I'm going to pay. That's why I like it.

Posted by: Phan | August 9, 2006 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Lia's is indeed open, and pretty good.

Posted by: JS | August 9, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Do we have to make reservations for Fogo de Chao through the phone? I don't find them listed under the participating restaurants at opentable.com.

Posted by: Christy | August 9, 2006 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Fortunately, I had many great Restaurant Week experiences this summer, which helped make up for an extremely bad experience at Galileo last winter. Good places to note: Kinkead's (great food, though slow service), Rasika (great food & service), Tosca (a great bargain for lunch - they generously let you choose from the entire menu, of which the entrees alone go for around $20), Restaurant Kolumbia, and Viridian. I hope to be as fortunate during the next Restaurant Week!

Posted by: DCenthusiast | August 24, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse