Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 2:34 PM ET, 01/26/2007

Sufjan Stevens Ticket Giveaway Update

By David Malitz

While we have absolutely no interest in leaving the confines of our warm office on this bitterly cold day, our colleague over at the Post, Chris Richards, headed to the Kennedy Center to see if the Sufjan Stevens Ticket Giveaway Madness had started yet. He reported that as of 2:15 p.m. there were not even a dozen people waiting in line, which tells us that, while Stevens and his brand of orchestral indie rock has inspired some very obsessive fans, those fans either a) have jobs, b) savor warmth, or c) both. The Kennedy Center, in a kind gesture, wasn't making those folks (almost all college students, according to Richards) wait outside. For now, they are allowed to hang out inside the building, where they are free to play cards and eat pretzels. That's until 10 p.m., when the Kennedy Center closes and the Suf-fans will have to head back out into the cold for 11 freezing hours until the ticket giveaway begins at 9 a.m. So that's the latest. Good luck to those of you who will be braving it tonight or early tomorrow morning. Bundle up and wear two of everything.

By David Malitz  | January 26, 2007; 2:34 PM ET
Categories:  Music  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nightlife Agenda Pick of the Week
Next: I Heart Dinner

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword


one would think that with all the interest, the record company would schedule a full out show and actually make some $$$ off the tickets.

Posted by: jj | January 26, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

one would think that with all the interest, the record company would schedule a full out show and actually make some $$$ off the tickets.

Posted by: jjacobson | January 26, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

GoGs, could you keep updating this info in the comments or another post. Some of us can't get out there until much later (and would rather not spend the night if possible...)

Posted by: PLS | January 26, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I know, I wish he'd play a regular show here - his last tour only got as close as Philadelphia, and on a weeknight. :(

Posted by: h3 | January 26, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe - well I guess I can - that these kids don't have anything better to do today. what on earth will they do outside for 11 hours? Some of us have to work!!

Posted by: grr | January 26, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

OK, the lastest word is that there are now 15 people on line at the Kennedy Center. So not much of an increase. Not sure how many more updates I'll be able to provide, but I'll do my best.

Posted by: David | January 26, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

that 15 will turn into 150 after work and happy hours end.

sigh... i'll just wait for the tour

Posted by: jj | January 26, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, at least 26 indie kids will freeze to death tonight.

Posted by: Wasp of the Palisades | January 26, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't this place hold 2200 people? Even if the Kennedy Center holds 400 tickets for VIPs, will there actually be over 900 people waiting ???

Posted by: Adams-Morgan | January 26, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Any new news on how many people are out there?

Posted by: ESTAR | January 26, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

The Kennedy Center said no free parking, but can we still park there for a fee?

Posted by: hmmm | January 26, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Got there around 5:45 and was one of the last to get tickets. LOTS of people didn't fare so well.

Posted by: Adams-Morgan | January 27, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Got there at 530pm on Friday- because I had to work but I got me some Orchestra L seats- oh yeah.

Posted by: Holla | January 27, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

As number 3 in line, I'd just like to say to everyone reading this that it was worth it.

And a hearty to hello to any of my fellow citizens of shanty town who might be reading this.

Posted by: Finn | January 27, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

unfortunately, there were a fair amount of scumbags at the front of the line now scalping tickets at ridiculous prices on ebay/craigslist, etc . (i could care less that you waited 11 hours in sub freezing temperatures...this is supposed to be a FREE event for those who actually WANTED to attend the show)

Posted by: Small Rant | January 28, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I showed up at 5:30 and wore the wrong kinds of clothes. I was one of the last to get tickets and they were in the nose bleed section, but you know what? It was so worth it.

Posted by: Katja | January 28, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Was that 5:45 am or pm?

Posted by: Jesse | January 29, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

yeah-i got there at 5:30 am and was one of the last lucky ones to score tickets. worth every second. it was a blast. and kudos to the kennedy center for keeping everything so safe and organized.

Posted by: colleen | January 29, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Ah - the bliss of the cold (starbucks raked in all the money we would have spent BUYING the tickets). I liked the vibe of Friday night - and the officials were pretty cool!

Posted by: Julian Ed | January 29, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I got there at 6:00 am and barely missed getting tickets. serves me right for wanting those two hours after partying all night. but that does not excuse any one of you ingrates who are selling the tickets on craigslist. these were supposed to be free. if you didn't need an extra ticket, then you should have allowed an honest person waiting in line to pick it up instead. screw you for being so selfish.

Posted by: srupani | January 30, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

i'm one of those scumbags selling tickets.... if you had *really* wanted tickets like you say you did, you would have been there earlier! quit being so bitter and throw a bone in the direction of the REAL fans who toughed it out overnight. sorry you screwed up... now you get to pay for it!

Posted by: e | January 30, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I was the second person in line. Waited 25 hours for a 1 hour show. But it sincerely was one of the most worth it crazy things I've done. I met some great people, helped set up quite a few tents, and lost three fingers! But like I said, it was very worth it.

Posted by: Michael R | February 8, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company