Posted at 11:18 AM ET, 04/19/2007

Circa Now

By Erin

As Julia reported ages ago, WrapWorks in Dupont is no more. The replacement, an upscale coffeehouse and restaurant called Circa, opened its doors earlier this week. With WiFi, outdoor seating, an inviting wine bar with a WineKeeper fridge and hours from 5:30 a.m. until 1 or 2 a.m., Circa looks to offer something for everyone at practically anytime.

Last night, neighborhood residents stopped in off the street to check out the space and menu, many sharing enthusiasm about the prospect of a new hangout. Looking nothing like the previous occupant's casual takeout spot, Circa is posh and airy with tall ceilings, plush banquette seating and a long communal table. Power architects Adamstein & Demetriou leave a recognizable signature on this space, their vision of a European cafe. It lives up to that goal in attracting an eclectic crowd; laptop-toting students, a family with young children and a canoodling couple all fit into the comfortable vibe.

The restaurant is owned by the Greenberry's group, so the extensive coffee menu serves Greenberry's coffee, frozen coffee treats, smoothies and an array of pastries for those seeking a light bite. On the cocktail front, the house infuses vodkas with pineapple, mango and a mix of green apple and ginger to make specialty drinks.

The menu showcases upscale cafe fare with several thin-crust pizzas, sandwiches and a nice salad selection. New England seafood chowder, chili and yesterday's soup du jour of spicy chicken and vegetable would all pair well with a hearty Reuben. Larger entrees -- like the salmon au poivre -- hover in the $10-$20 range.

For those of us who are already looking to summer, Circa stocks five flavors of Dolcezza gelato, which I plan to take down to savor in Dupont Circle as often as weather permits. When weather doesn't permit, I look forward to enjoying it at Circa with coffee and WiFi.

--Erin

By Erin  | April 19, 2007; 11:18 AM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nightlife Agenda Pick of the Week
Next: Warm Weather On Deck

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I stopped by the other night. What a great place! Lots of fun and a great atmosphere.

Posted by: Bill Barker | April 20, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

We stopped by on Fri and had a wonderful time. There were a few gliches here and there but the service was great and allz forgiven.

Posted by: DCer | April 22, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

We had brunch there Sunday morning- for a newcomer on the block, they handled the busy morning well. Food was great, try and snag a seat on the patio when it's nice out for a good people watching spot. Dupont is in dire need of a neighborhood cafe spot like this one- I hope it stays around.

Posted by: JKO | April 24, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Went by last Sat afternoon hoping to get a few drinks at the outside table. Four tables open, two parties ahead of us, and after looking me (and my date) up and down, was told there would be a 45 minute wait. Huh? Didn't like the attitude.

Posted by: dupont | April 27, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I went to Circa with a friend on Friday night...it was very busy but Karen took great care of us. I would definitely go back for more of everything. Try the Berry Bash...I'm hooked!

Posted by: Jared | April 30, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

oh my lord, run do not walk, this place has the amazing food and decor, won't be long before you can't get in, as a waitress told me yesterday, it may already be too late, best soup i've ever had, ever.

Posted by: cd | May 1, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

went to Circa Monday night. I had the Halibut and it was delish! I also ordered a bottle of gruner veltliner, yum! I couldn't help myself, I had desert too, the bread pudding, wow! Great food, great decor, great service!!!!

Posted by: wyatt | May 2, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Berry Smash...OMG!!!! I had two of these the other day...liquid crack (can i say that?) Well, whatever, if you go to Circa you have to try these things (just don't order them with your desert because the sweetness from the desert cancels out the good flavor of the drink).

Posted by: Guili | May 2, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse