Posted at 12:44 PM ET, 06/ 8/2007

Clarendon Ballroom's Roof Closed After Accident

By Fritz Hahn

The Clarendon Ballroom's rooftop deck will be closed until next week after part of the floor dropped "three or four inches" last night while crowds were standing on it. No one was injured.

Ballroom owner Peter Pflug said a board that supports one section of the wooden floor cracked, causing that area -- located in the back of the deck, near the rear stairs -- to fall. The floor on the rest of the roof was not affected, but it was closed immediately as a precaution.

The deck's floorboards have been removed while workers check for other damaged supports. Pflug expects the deck to be closed until next Thursday or Friday for repairs.

-- Fritz

By Fritz Hahn  | June 8, 2007; 12:44 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Discounts Don't Give Us the Blues
Next: Setting Up Silverdocs

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I was there last night when this happened, and I can't believe they said it was only 3 or 4 inches. It was at least a foot. The bouncers were out of sight of the collapse and when I reported it to them as everyone moved away from the area, they said "don't worry about it". It took a wave of people brushing by them for the exit to finally realize that it might be an issue. It was at least 20 or 30 mins before they decided to evacuate the roof. The smartest thing they did was immediately stop letting people up there. To top it off, my friend and I had to argue for 15 mins to try and get our refund of the cover charge. I was angry to begin with paying a cover. Then, when they closed the roof, they were still charging a cover! If the cover is for the live band inside, then why do patrons that want the rooftop only have to pay a cover?

Posted by: JK | June 8, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

This is unfortunate, but you're crying about a $1 cover charge?

Posted by: joe | June 9, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Why would Ballroom close one one of their busiest nights when they have two other fully functioning other floors aside from the rooftop? I was there and they handled the situation appropriately. They immediatly stopped letting people up, carefully (without alarm) got everyone off the roof, called in a DJ for the basement at the last minute, and opened the downstairs to accomodate the crowd. Security was able to maintain a stress free environment for everyone. There was a charge because there was a live band, duh. Thank you Ballroom for your amazing service and atmosphere you provide in Clarendon!!

Posted by: Hillary | June 11, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The ballroom's been a huge disappointment lately. They never have the bottom floor open (well, unless the deck collapses) ... and the security staff are the rudest people on earth. I almost got my a$$ kicked for asking one of the bouncers a simple question. He was looking at me like he just wanted to absolutely kill me. Oh, well, there's plenty of other places around.

Posted by: Bo | June 13, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I was also at the ballroom this past Thursday and was standing on the section that sunk. I moved all of my friends downstairs and told the people that were STILL being let upstairs, not to go up there. We also told people in the rooftop line what had happened. They did not evacuate the rooftop for quite some time.

Posted by: CZ | June 13, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I was there on that night and I must say that the Ballroom security staff as well as the Ballroom management/owners where more than respectful and professional in the way they dealt with the situation. I along with the countless other associates & friends that I have gone to the Clarendon Ballroom with over the past 5 years have thoroughly enjoyed their hospitality and "have fun" attitude by everyone on their staff.

Posted by: E | June 26, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Funny... I just called to make sure they were open tonight, and they said this was all a rumor.

I'm not taking sides, just reporting.

Posted by: Scott | June 27, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse