Posted at 1:53 PM ET, 07/ 3/2007

Today is the Greatest Day

By Fritz Hahn

If you wanted to see the reformed Smashing Pumpkins at the Virgin Festival but don't feel like stumping up the $97.50 to see the band on a huge stage in the middle of a racetrack, here's some amazing news: The band is playing a surprise show at the 9:30 Club next Tuesday, July 10.

Tickets go on sale this Friday at 10 a.m. through Tickets.com. We don't know how much they'll cost, but the band just did a series of nine shows in Asheville, N.C., where all tickets were $20. Later this month, the Pumpkins will play an eight-show residency at San Francisco's legendary Fillmore, where tickets are $25.

The Asheville shows included a mix of classics and tracks from the band's new album, "Zeitgeist," which hits stores on Tuesday.

This is the band's sixth time playing the venue: There were two shows in fall 1993, when it was still the WUST Music Hall, two shows in January 1996 to mark the opening of the 9:30 club, and another show in the spring of 1999.

-- Fritz

By Fritz Hahn  | July 3, 2007; 1:53 PM ET
Categories:  Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Making the Most of Your Day Off
Next: Comings and Goings

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

great, destroy the fun for the 9:30 regulars by broadcasting this to all corners of the metropolitan region. Thanks a lot!

Posted by: pizzed | July 3, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Is it really a secret if you're announcing it in the post? That's just lame.

Posted by: me | July 4, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

it wasn't a secret because everyone who frequents the club ALREADY knew about it, way to break a story mate.

Posted by: and | July 4, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Jeez what a bunch of jerks. You wonder why I don't frequent 9:30.

This can't be the first time this was published online.

Posted by: jps | July 5, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

9:30 club website says tickets are $30 each.

Posted by: Kate | July 5, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I just got tickets, thank you for bringing this to my attention. You guys rock.

Posted by: Matt | July 6, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

yup... and to the others that frequent the club and already knew about the tickets... did YOU get tickets? b/c i surely didn't...
thanks, gurus for letting everyone else and their brother know about it and letting THEM get tickets instead of diehards...
way to go.

Posted by: x | July 6, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

didn't get tickets, and I started in the virtual wait room at 9:50... I wasn't too optimistic but still disappointed. Check out Craigslist and see how much people are willing to pay ....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

The gig was listed on the 930 website yesterday, so it was already out there.

Posted by: Jen | July 6, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Add another date to the Pumpkins stint at the 9:30 club, the orginal on F St. I saw the Pumpkins there way back in 1991 for $5. I remember being in a crowd of about 35 people. Now that was a show.

Posted by: marcalamari | July 10, 2007 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Add another date to the Pumpkins stint at the 9:30 club, the original on F St. I saw the Pumpkins there way back in 1991 for $5. I remember being in a crowd of about 35 people. Now that was a show.

Posted by: Marcalamari | July 10, 2007 1:48 AM | Report abuse