Posted at 4:33 PM ET, 08/23/2007

Deliver Us From Hunger

By Erin

I inadvertently set off a firestorm in today's Got Plans? when I responded to a U Street transplant in search of good Chinese delivery. I think that Chinese delivery is best when it's no-frills, authentic food. When it comes to Chinese food, I find that flavors are diluted as the dollar amounts increase. The only times that I will spend big money for Chinese is when I'm getting lobster or fresh fish out of the deal. For some of you, pricier Chinese is just the ticket. So let's share our delivery favorites.

Clearly each restaurant has dishes that are delicious and some that are best to avoid. The trick is holding out long enough to figure out which dishes fall into each column. I am a fan of the fiery dishes from the Szechuan region, so Great Wall Szechuan House is my choice for the spicy ma la chicken. I also like Banana Leaves, though I've had a few less-than-edible dishes. Plus, unlike Great Wall, I often have to fight to have adequately spiced food. I've enjoyed the miracle shrimp and scallion pancakes.

When it comes to Indian food, I'm up for a bit more of a splurge, so I go for the vindaloo at Heritage India. Finding Indian restaurants that deliver can be tricky, so I usually stick with what I know.

For Thai, I've been impressed by Thai Square, but Simply Home and Sawatdee are good delivery options depending on your location.

I am not the authority on delivery pizza. For some reason, I always go for more ethnic foods when I get delivery. I used to love Gepetto's delivery and will walk to get Alberto's for take-out, but I'm still searching for that perfect delivery pie.

Grab Bag: In my case, it's Lebanese and I'll confess to an appreciation for late-night gyros from Quick Pita in Georgetown.

Now that I've taken the heat for my stay-in guilty pleasures, it's time to step up. Which menus are on your fridge? Who is saved on your speed dial? What are you still looking for?

--Erin

By Erin  | August 23, 2007; 4:33 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nightlife Agenda Pick of the Week
Next: Wheat for the Heat

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Romeo's in Glover Park! They are always a solid choice. Their spicy chicken, greek, and steak pizzas are great and they have a good selection of sandwiches, wraps, and calzones. I love their Italian fries too. I saw Henry Rollins eating there once. He must be a fan too.

Posted by: Esingles | August 23, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely love Angelico's in Tenley Town. Pizza, sandwiches, and pasta all good. They have the BEST vegetarian sampler platter!

Posted by: foodiedc | August 24, 2007 3:41 AM | Report abuse

I have yet to taste decent Chinese in this area. The best I ever had was in Richmond, from a place on Midlothian Turnpike.

[sigh] Why did I move back here?

Posted by: YourStrawberry23 | August 24, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Most definitely Regent Thai... oooh delicious pad ginger chicken. And they always say they will take 45 min to an hour, but it arrives within 10. Amazing.

Posted by: LBR | August 24, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

For Thai, love ThaiTanic!!!

I am not a fan of Great Wall, but haven't really found anything I like better in that genre. I am still looking.

Pasha Bistro has some tasty gyro sandwiches and salads, but they aren't my favorite. I would love for lebanese taverna to deliver!

I have to admit, I often run to Whole Foods for carryout sushi. Yummo!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 24, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Banana Leaves was on my top list for a few months, but eating dine-in recently spoiled it. It was a 2+ hour ordeal.
Albertos is the best in the area, I think for delivery pizza, but am happy to look at others!

Posted by: pia | August 24, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Chen's Organic is the best no frills chinese food in DC. (right by the Woodley Park Metro underneath a Baskin Robbins) They have a lot of good vegetarian options there too. In particular, the Kung Pao tofu is excellent. The decor in the place is about that of a dunkin donuts, but they are really nice people and the food is generally excellent. For delivery it isn't bad either.

For Vietnamese food, check out Falls church, VA. There's a place a few doors down from the Guitar center on route 50, and there's a bunch of great places in the Eden center just across WIlson Boulevard from that.

For Korean, I found an excellent spot in the Northeast market in a standalone house near all of the wholesale places.

Posted by: pants | August 25, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I second the recommendation for Mr. Chen's. Really good Chinese delivery. The steamed veggie dumplings are great and the Szechuan string beans are spicy and tasty.

Posted by: washington.martha | August 26, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I've lived in Arlington for 3 years and have yet to find decent Chinese delivery. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

In our house, Mr. Chen's is your everyday Chinese delivery choice; you splurge for City Lights if you're feeling richer. Nothing from Mr. Chen's knocks my socks off, but it's reasonably priced, good quality food. At City Lights, the sizzling shrimp is like crack, and I'm a big fan of the eggplant in garlic sauce, too.

For sushi: Tono Sushi in Woodley Park.

Pizza: Radius in Mount Pleasant if you're feeling rich, good old Pizza Bolis if you aren't.

Indian: Jyoti on 18th Street.

Thai: Spices but it's pricey. Tono Sushi (see above) also has some decent Thai options.

Posted by: Amanda | August 27, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

In my Dupont neighborhood, I like Mei Wah for wonderful Chinese. They have a separate take out room, so I usually do take out not delivery. It's moderately priced and the portions are generous. I often get two dishes (Salt spiced shrimp, twice cooked duck) and make 3 or more dinners. Then if I'm feeling more adventurous I may order delivery from pan-Asian Singapore Bistro. It has a similar menu to Cafe Asia. If we feel like dining in, they have a happy hour with a $1 menu, including fried kalamari and reduced prices on beer and wine.

Posted by: Dianne | August 30, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

For Chinese, Tony Lin's in Rockville rocks! Reasonable prices, large portions (great for dinner one night and lunch the next day -- any maybe beyond!), tasty dishes (try the cashew chicken), and fast service (usually about 20-30 minutes) make it the perfect choice. For those who are interested, they have a separate authentic Chinese menu.

Posted by: Chris | August 30, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

The Greek Spot on 11th St NW just north of U St is awesome! It is more of a carryout place but there are some outside tables where you can sit if you'd like. It's fantastic (but unfortunately not open on Sundays....)

Posted by: Rebecca | September 4, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I too love Mr. Chen's delivery, and Regent Thai as well. My dilemma is that I just moved to Takoma Park, and I'm horribly missing my old delivery stand-bys. Does anyone know of any delivery joints in the Silver Spring area?

Posted by: Jacquie | September 4, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse