Posted at 1:23 PM ET, 11/ 9/2007

What's Your Local D.C.?

By Julia Beizer

Right along with bachelorette parties and romantic dinners for two, the what-should-I-do-with-my-parents question is a weekly staple in the Got Plans? diet. Yesterday, we got this subtle twist on the typical query:

Hi Gurus, My mom's coming to visit for the first time and is hoping to see some "local flavor." I'm definitely taking her to the Dupont Farmers Market (love it) and we'll be checking out Kramerbooks while we're there, but she's here a whole weekend(!). I want to take her to dinner and a show on Friday night (maybe the Capitol Steps?) Any other ideas on "local" stuff for a mother-daughter duo to check out this weekend?

Since we gurus are lovers of all things local, I've got a bunch of answers to this question. I've listed a few of mine after the jump, but I think this question is just begging for a round of "You Be the Guru." What do you think, readers? What makes D.C. unique? What local spots offer a taste of D.C.'s distinctive blend. Let us know in the comments field below.

Eastern Market -- even in its limited, post-fire state -- is pretty much as D.C. as it gets for me. Fresh veggies, woven crafts and fine art photographs of local landmarks are all on sale alongside the completely wacky flea market offerings like gently used cowboy boots, tacky '80s earrings and somewhat pimpish long coats. It's that mix of high and low culture that makes this city great for me.

The Maine Avenue Seafood Market is another one of my favorite D.C. places -- but it's not exactly a bring-your-mom kind of place. The lot is smelly, crowded and somehow -- whether it's been raining or not -- you always have to take care to step over oily, litter-filled puddles in the concrete. But that being said, the fishmongers are friendly folks with that Southern Maryland drawl and though I wouldn't make sushi out of anything I bought there, it's the perfect place to pick up a pound of shrimp on the way home from work.

I can think of a couple other place that are truly D.C. for me -- Georgetown's uneven sidewalks, Rock Creek Park's windy trails, Dupont Circle in the summer -- but I realize that none of these places have anything to do with the monuments and pillars of government this city's so known for. And even though I still really like the view of the monuments when I drive over the Roosevelt Bridge, as a local, none of those places pack as much local flavor as the places listed above.

What do you think?

--Julia

By Julia Beizer  | November 9, 2007; 1:23 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Want Some Free French Wine?
Next: Free and Easy

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

For shopping, I'd say U st and 14th. Independent and funky stores, everything from shoes (Wild Women Wear Red) to serving platters (Go Mama Go).

Posted by: gansie | November 9, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

DC and Washington - 2 different places in the same place.

There really are 2 cities here, and there is a ton of local stuff. I like the Building Museum, if you want a museum. I also LOVE Cedar Hill (the Frederick Douglass house). Congressional Cemetery, Rock Creek Cemetery, the Brookland Franciscans...

Walk a Neighborhood Heritage Trail. Visit the boundary stones. So many non-federal things to do here, it's hard to know where to begin.

Posted by: saf | November 9, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Ben's Chili Bowl...and U Street in general. Lots of hometown DC history + great energy, culture, restaurants and music.

Posted by: KR in DC | November 9, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

How about the Sunday drum circle at Malcolm X (Meridian Hill) Park?

Posted by: sprite | November 11, 2007 2:28 AM | Report abuse

If she will be here on Monday, take her to Bar Nun's open mic night. Definitely Local Flavor!

Posted by: citygirldc | November 12, 2007 4:07 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Georgetown's uneven sidewalks, can I sue? I have fallen (wearing flats)too many times to mention.

Posted by: YOYOinDC | November 12, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse