Posted at 3:50 PM ET, 12/27/2007

More on New Year's Eve

By Fritz Hahn

I wrote a lot about New Year's Eve on the blog yesterday, but I've since had people ask me if the parties I mentioned were the only ones available, or if an event didn't make the column because it was sold out, etc., so I wanted to clear something up: There seem to be tickets left for almost every New Year's Eve party in town.

From the Bollywood 2 Night dance party to Godfather of Go-Go Chuck Brown at the 9:30 club to the black-tie optional New Year's Gala hosted by Washington Wizards Andre Blatche and DeShawn Stevenson and WKYS's Russ Parr, there are spaces remaining. I've gotten some e-mails with an increasingly hysterical tone saying "only a few tickets remaining!" but the fact is, most places have not sold out.

If you'd asked me two weeks ago, I would have encouraged you to get tickets in advance for the Legwarmers at the State Theatre and the open-bar madness at Glover Park's Town Hall, but I doubt I would have guessed those would be among the first New Year's Eve events to get rid of all their tickets, besting Ahmad Jamal at Blues Alley, DC101's Downtown Countdown, Lucky Bar's annual no-holds-barred throwdown or the perennially popular Clarendon Ballroom soiree.

Have you bought your New Year's Eve tickets yet? Why do you think so many parties have been slow to sell out? Let us know in the comments box.

Oh, and let me stick in one last-minute pitch for SoberRide, which will buy you a taxi ride home on New Year's Eve (and this weekend) so you don't have to worry about drinking and driving. Be smart.

-- Fritz

By Fritz Hahn  | December 27, 2007; 3:50 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Last Call for New Year's Eve
Next: Getting Around on New Year's Eve

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

because new year's is lame and no one has any money. and the ones who do are smart enough to hire a bartender, stock their house and throwdown with only their best of friends.

Posted by: DJ | December 27, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I think the prices are just a tad outrageous. People have learned from past events that open bar does NOT mean you get a drink!! :P It's too dern hard to get to the bar and the clubs/events are never staffed enough and never have enough bars! It's just gotten to be too much of a hassle and, as DJ said, I personally would rather save $$ by buying my own alcohol and going to a house party with my dearest friends :)

Posted by: sigmagrrl | December 27, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree with DJ in that it's less about saving money and more about spending it wisely. Stay in with your buddies most of the night, cook up a feast and drink as much champagne as seems reasonable to you, and then head out for a few nightcaps to get your people watching (etc.) fix. You might spend as much as you would have going to a gala-type thing, but you definitely won't go home thinking you got ripped off.

Posted by: CW | December 28, 2007 1:49 AM | Report abuse

The smartest thing that I'VE personally seen @ a bar is @ Nolan's in adams morgan...they do $75 all you can drink premium open bar with free champagne toasts, balloon drops, appetizers, doorprizes, etc - all at a resonable price! but thats just me - to each their own!

Posted by: Nolan | December 28, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

New Year's Eve is like St. Paddy's Day: Amateur Night. Based on the availability of tickets, I guess we've got more professionals in this town than I realized...

;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | December 28, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Realistically, how long should it take to get a cab in Glover Park after midnight on New Year's Eve? Does it make more sense to call for a cab, or take my chances flagging one down on the street?

Posted by: divinemsk | December 28, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

what's up with the high prices for the sold out tickets to the waterfront party?

Posted by: cgdc | December 30, 2007 4:55 AM | Report abuse

Had all of my party plans arranged in advance through http://www.GoingOutTonightDC.com
Saved me the hassle and will definitely use again.

Posted by: Tom | December 30, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse