Posted at 12:18 PM ET, 01/ 9/2008

Fake and Bake

By Erin

Today's Food section explores the wild and crazy world of mock meats. No longer limited to school cafeterias, mock meats -- most made from gluten -- are becoming more popular and bearing stronger resemblances to the real thing. Though I've never made any mock meat myself, I have tried more than a few dishes from local restaurants. If you're a transitioning vegetarian or hungry for some non-meat meat products, here are some local places to check out the goods.

The vegetarian and vegan Java Green is always packed at lunch. The menu skews Korean with salads, wraps, brown-rice bowls and sandwiches. You can order chicken, shrimp and other "meats." When I met a meat-loving friend there for lunch last summer, she happily ate her food and never had a clue that the "spicy chicken" hadn't come from a feathered friend. Another perk is that the business is eco-conscious. Containers are biodegradable and the restaurant runs on wind power.

Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant is an eyesore, decoratively speaking, but it's a must-visit destination for mock-meat-lovers. The Asian restaurant goes beyond the basics to things like mock eel in teriyaki sauce. My recommendation would be to go for the fried "meats," at least as you ease into the menu. The most popular dish is General Tso's Surprise, which is fried soy protein in the usual spicy sauce with broccoli. On my first visit, I seemed to be the only diner who hadn't placed that order. There are also curry and sweet and sour options along with a slew of macrobiotic dishes for those looking to cleanse toxins.

Malaysia Kopitiam has a meaty menu, but there is a section with several stir-fried gluten choices along with a spicy mock-duck chili dish. For the tentative mock-meat-eater, this might be a good place to dip your toes. Unlike other veggie-focused menus, this place will give the chance to order real meat along with the fake.

Vegetable Garden lives up to its name with plenty of vegetables, but it's rife with mock meats as well. Dishes like sesame chicken, sesame beef with taro root, duck with asparagus and abalone are all meat-free. Additionally, the menu offers special icons designating heart healthy entrees as chosen by the Suburban Hospital.

So what's the verdict? Do you cringe over mock meats or love the cruelty-free substitute?

--Erin

By Erin  | January 9, 2008; 12:18 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: News to Digest
Next: Nightlife Agenda Pick of the Week

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Indonesian restaurant Sabang in Wheaton, MD offers nearly all of their dishes with fake meats (I've been reading posts that they closed down, though, but haven't confirmed). American-eclectic Great Sage out in Columbia, MD makes their own veggie burgers and meatloaf and sometimes has bbq on special. Not much protein substitutes besides those, but overall good vegetarian (and organic) food.

Posted by: keunings | January 10, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Asian Bistro on Colesville & Georgia in Silver Spring has an extensive fake meat menu. Generally, they seem better at this than cooking with real meat and fish, but preparation of the same menu item can differ greatly from one visit to the next. I've had kung pao chikn with bell pepper and spicy sauce as well as with broccoli and sweet garlic sauce.

Posted by: Minimus | January 11, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Yuan Fu in Rockville is another good choice and is completely vegatarian.

Mei's Asian Bistro in Arlington has an extensive mock menu.

Posted by: Vijay | January 11, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

My fav is still Harmony Cafe in Georgetown that offers almost all their dishes with real meat or veggie meat. Their orange veggie beef is fried goodness!

Posted by: Miso | January 11, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Geez:P The fake stuff seems to be more trouble than the real...G-d bless the burger!

Posted by: sigmagrrl | January 12, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Sticky Fingers Bakery in Columbia Heights (I'm sure you're all aware of their amazing sticky buns) has pretty good all vegan mock-meat sandwiches.

Posted by: KRM | January 16, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

This is making me hungry! And that's about the highest compliment I can give a food blog.

Posted by: Sarah | January 16, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Try mock meat at Mei's Asian Bistro. Appetizers, Soups, Entrees (60+ items) and desserts - all mock meat. Did I also mention veg-sushi? Rest assure this place will take care the whole crew, meat eater or not.

Posted by: mocking bird | March 4, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse