Posted at 12:48 PM ET, 02/12/2008

Radiohead at Nissan Pavilion, May 11

By David Malitz

Radiohead at Nissan Pavilion? It just seems so ... normal. The British rockers, who broke all the rules with the release of last year's "In Rainbows," have announced dates for the first leg of their American tour and it will find them stopping at the big shed in Bristow, Va., on May 11. Tickets go on sale Saturday at 10 a.m., so if your mom just can't get enough of Thom Yorke, now you've got the perfect gift. (May 11 is Mother's Day, you see.)

In recent interviews the band had talked about trying to keep its carbon footprint to a minimum on the upcoming tour. This led to speculation that the band would play at unconventional venues (anyone remember the Bull Run debacle of 2001?) or at least places that would be easily accessible by public transportation (Verizon Center). But nope, just another show with thousands of people sitting in traffic on I-66. We're sure that Radiohead fans who have been waiting nearly five years for the band to return to the area aren't complaining, though.

-- David

By David Malitz  | February 12, 2008; 12:48 PM ET
Categories:  Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Free and Easy
Next: Nightlife Miscellany

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

boycott clear channel/live nation. hopefully seth will get it in columbia/mpp.

Posted by: luke | February 13, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Why are all the good shows in such bad places? Who wants to trek all the way out to the Nissan Pavilion? Why is the only other option Merriweather? Who built these places in the middle of nowhere and convenient for no one?

Posted by: Barbrady | February 15, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

convenient for me (its 20 minutes from my house)

Posted by: awesome-O | February 16, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

gonna be siiiiiiiiiiiiickkkk

Posted by: adam | February 29, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Their website is listing a way for people to take buses from various Metro stops.

Bus stops:

Vienna Metro, Ballston Mall, Union Station and Maryland (location TBD)

Posted by: Tobi | March 12, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

M post p is too small only has beens play there or bands that cant draw big crowds how come jimmy buffet...kiss...dave matthews...priest....ozzfest are always at nissan ?????? cause it's bigger and better baby

Posted by: T | March 31, 2008 5:06 AM | Report abuse

hey tobi, that mention of buses from Washingtoon DC bus stops are now gone from the website. Did they give up that plan? How I am supposed to get there without driving a car(which I don't have)?

Posted by: connor | April 8, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

*bump* re: connor
what happ to the bus from DC to the venue??

Posted by: nik | April 30, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Further Bump re shared transport? Anyone game for sharing a cab from somewhere if there's no public transport?

Posted by: Josh | May 4, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

i'm game for sharing a cab from vienna,VA (the closest metro stop) to the venue..anyone interested please contact me at nrmstealth@gmail.com

Posted by: nik | May 5, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

hi all!
see here flagyl
Shall tomorrow be with 5 hours interesting your opinion

Posted by: amg-lite | May 9, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Any idea how long it will take to drive to the concert from Fairfax? I think I'm one fry short of a Happy Meal to drive there, but, a mother's love knows no bounds!

Posted by: Steve's Mom | May 10, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Talk about a debacle of epic proportions. I was supposed to go but had to cancel last minute. Some of my friends left Arlington at 6:30 and at 10PM they just called me to tell me they were approaching the site. I reminded them that of Nissan's 11PM cutoff and now they're heading back. There are thousands of cars on the road still trying to get into the area.

Nissan is one of the worst venues ever. After the bullrun nightmare did Radiohead think the weather in this area changed all of a sudden?

Posted by: Tmac | May 11, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tmac | May 11, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I had the same problem. I left Reston at 7:00, and hadn't even gotten to the venue at 10:30. Not only the normal traffic, but the rain was so heavy that some portions of key roads were closed due to flooding. I gave up and turned around. There's no way I was going to sit in another 3.5 hours of post-concert traffic. I just wish I hadn't waited 3.5 hours to decide to give up. :(

Posted by: kmr | May 11, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

What a colossal waste of time. Headed out from Arlington at 6:45, hit traffic on I-66 by 7:30, got to the venue at 9:30 only to find that the road was closed due to flooding. Went around and around in circles for another one and a half hours trying to find a way in, only to always end up at the same closed road... again and again and again... Finally gave up at 11. Who's going to give me back the $650 I paid the blasted scalper to get these blasted tickets!

Posted by: Guy | May 12, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Left Fairfax at 7pm. Normally would have gotten there by 730. Still wasn't there by 11pm so we gave up. That was a huge waste of time and money for sooo many people. Too bad there's nothing we can do about it!!

Posted by: smh | May 12, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

We left Vienna at 6:30. Not only did we get stuck in traffic, my car broke down at 9:15 within a half mile of the pavilion, and waited with my 9 year old son in the car until 11, when I finally got a tow truck to take me back to Vienna. My husband, driving separately, made it into the venue probably about 9:45 with our other son but didn't even attempt to get in to their seats. Our daughter and 7 friends, who had been out there since 2 pm, were able to see the show in the pit, so at least someone had a good time. Even with my disater, I'm sure I will beat them home by several hours. So many disappointed fans! I will never attempt to see another show at Nissan.

Posted by: missy | May 12, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Surely there must be some recourse? The venue must take some responsibility for making us all circle around endlessly and giving out zero information on the phone. It was their ill-designed, ill-managed venue that caused this trouble, not just the rain.
BTW, we never made it in either, and gave up after 3.5 hours, as well. Very Very disappointing, to say the least.

Posted by: Teresa | May 12, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely abysmal concert traffic. Gave up trying to get there at 10:15. I will never buy tickets at Nissan in the future after that horrible experience.

Posted by: BJC | May 12, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

We left Alexandria at 6:30 and after three hours we noticed that we were basically circling the venue following all of the detours that were set up. We turned around and went home after a policeman told us that the band would have to stop playing at 10:45. What a waste of time. Thanks Nissan.

Posted by: TsM | May 12, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Baltimore Radiohead fan, left my house at 5:15 this evening. By 10pm we were about 2 miles away and decided to walk the rest after parking at a shopping center. Ran into some folks who told us they tried to walk, but had given up. We turned around and headed home, deciding that it wasn't worth sitting in the traffic on the way home. Just got home, its almost 1am. 7.5 hours worth of traveling, and I didn't even see the show. I should have known better after Bull Run. I think I'm done with outdoor concerts in Va altogether.

Posted by: SAB | May 12, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

This was such a horrible experience! We left from Arlington at 6.45 pm and had to circle the place until 10.30 pm before we gave up. The traffic was horrible and none of the roads were open. We saw many angry and upset fans on the way home.

Disappointment does not begin to explain how I feel right now. Why does the venue have a rain or shine policy when they clearly cannot accommodate traffic in bad weather?!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Another infuriated Baltimore traveler here with the same experience as everyone above.

Seems to me that Live Nation or Nissan Pavilion should refund tickets of those who were not admitted, seeing as they were apparently not admitting people in after a certain point and making them circle the venue for no reason. This would at least be a small victory after such a miserable evening.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Just got home to Vienna (2:30 am). It took 2 hours to get there from Centreville because of the normal crappy Nissan Pavilion traffic plus the bad weather, but we got in around 9:15...missed a few Radiohead songs but heard them from the parking lot. The rain was so bad we decided to leave around 10:30 to try to beat the traffic, only to move about 10 feet from our parking space over the period of 3 hours. No communication from the police or parking lot attendants or anybody from the venue...we just had to sit there wondering what was going on.

I am never going to Nissan Pavilion again...it is a complete clusterf*ck. They should definitely offer refunds to all ticket holders...not only for the ones that never got in, but also for the ones that got trapped in the parking lots for hours.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 2:39 AM | Report abuse

I love all the people who complain in here saying that it's Nissan's fault and that they should refund the money. It's unfortunate that a lot of people missed the show tonight because of the weather, but there was nothing Nissan could have done. There was massive flooding in the area which caused roads to be shut down and all traffic directed in one direction to enter the pavilion. Cars were continued to be let in until about 10:30am. I was there, I know. Everybody knew the weather forecast and you all should have planned better by leaving earlier.

Posted by: Dirk | May 12, 2008 2:41 AM | Report abuse

I second the comments about the parking. We arrived at 6 and were forced to park in the furthest possible parking lot away. Adding insult to injury, they then refused to let anyone out of our parking lot until all the others were empty--nearly two hours. No communication from anybody. Once we were on the road, they also only let certain lanes (at random based on what part of the venue you were coming) turn to go toward 66, forced us to keep going away from the highway, and then all of the sudden we were in the middle of nowhere. Only my iPhone and access to googlemaps saved us from driving even further off course.

Despite all of that, the show was AMAZING (even though I stood in torrential downpour and mud for 5.5 hours) and I would go through all of it again in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 2:51 AM | Report abuse

We drove for nearly 5 hours, turned back at 10:50 at the intersection of Wellington Road and Limestone. We left College Park at 6 pm, expecting it to take 2 hours at most in the rain to get there. I had never been to Nissan Pavillion but have had people warn me that it is a giant traffic mess.

Yeah, I know that it was raining and people will tell me I should've left earlier. How unreasonable is it to expect to get there by 9 if you leave at 6? I don't think it should have taken me almost 5 hours, of which the last two hours were spent basically circling the area right around Nissan. I know there was only a limited amount of things the cops and Nissan could do, I certainly felt sorry for the cops who had to stand out there directing traffic, but the communication was horrible-- no word on the radio, we had to keep calling a friend who had already made it in there and he said that the parking lot was a mess.

There were a lot of angry fans, cars stretched back for miles. We were basically going in a circle for 2 hours, gas tank dangerously empty when the cop told us the concert was over and to just turn back. We passed by a few cars that had stalled or run out of gas. It was horrible, and I am never going to the Nissan Pavillion again.

What prevented Radiohead from playing a more accessible-venue? If they're going to be more environmentally conscious, it makes no sense to pick a venue so far removed from any sort of public transportation and where people HAVE to drive. There were so many cars stuck in traffic, wasting gas. There's no point in switching to LED stage lights and buying carbon offsets when thousands of cars sitting in traffic negate those efforts.

Posted by: hanh | May 12, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse