Posted at 11:57 AM ET, 05/ 2/2008

Take a Dip Before You Sip

By Fritz Hahn

The mercury's supposed to hit 80 degrees today, which has me thinking about ways to beat the heat once warm weather arrives for good.

A leisurely afternoon in a pool and a refreshing frozen cocktail are my preferred solution, though most public swimming facilities frown at BYO martinis. But, in the best news I've heard in ages, there are two weekly poolside happy hours starting later this month.

First, there's a welcome return for Code Orange, the Omni Shoreham's luxe Thursday-afternoon event that allows use of its cool "resort-style pool" -- a large, mostly shallow pool built for wading instead of laps. Full use of the hotel's locker facilities is included in the $15 cover charge, as is one selection from the tropical drink menu. (The creamy Frozen Orange Blossom mixes gin, orange sorbet and peach schnapps, while the chunks of fresh mango in the Orange Mango Squeeze had me dreaming of the islands.)

Code Orange begins on May 22, and even if you don't get in the water, it's pleasant to just recline on one of the hotel's deck chairs and take in the sun.

Over on Thomas Circle, the Washington Plaza Hotel's striking pool is usually for hotel guests and members only, but this year, the international professionals group Euronet is hosting Thursday night gatherings with DJs and Caribbean cocktails. Splash, which kicks off on May 15, features a poolside grill dishing up burgers and hotdogs, a cash bar and DJs -- accompanied by a steel pan player -- spinning from 6 to 10. Admission will be $10 if you RSVP on euronetinternational.com, or $15 at the door.

-- Fritz

By Fritz Hahn  | May 2, 2008; 11:57 AM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Top 5 May Shows at Which You Are Most Unlikely to Find a New Girlfriend
Next: Free and Easy Events

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Not one of those ideas sounds even remotely fun. I feel like you just listed two things without even looking into if they were fun. I hate lists.

Posted by: Kevin | May 6, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Kevin, I'm sorry you feel that way. If you click on the link for Code Orange, you'll see that I did look into it -- I reviewed it for the paper last year, making several visits, and enjoyed the atmosphere and the cocktails as well as the chance to relax in a pool after work.

I haven't been to the Euronet party yet, since it doesn't start until next week, but I previously visited (and wrote about) poolside happy hours they ran at the Embassy Row Hilton, so I feel the group have a good track record in running these kinds of events. Again, I don't know about you, but I think a poolside cookout with a DJ sounds like a good way to spend a humid summer night.

Posted by: Fritz | May 6, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I think these both sound like great ideas and will be visiting as soon as they open. Maybe others (ahem, Kevin) enjoy the "electric fan in front of the TV with a beer" approach to summer fun. For the rest of us, keep writing!

Posted by: Kristy | May 8, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Are there any embassies or private homes that rent pools for the day in the DC Area?

Posted by: KWDC | May 13, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

These parties are great. Went last week. I loved it.

Posted by: Jay | May 21, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse